Watching COPS on TV, scenario for you all

This is a discussion on Watching COPS on TV, scenario for you all within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "And by the way, it was clear from the post arrest comments that the attacker wasn't all there. Does that make a difference?" The shooter ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Watching COPS on TV, scenario for you all

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "And by the way, it was clear from the post arrest comments that the attacker wasn't all there. Does that make a difference?"

The shooter in AZ obviously wasn't "all there" but I don't think there'd have been any complaints it someone shot him.

I'm more afraid of a knife than a gun, and I'm not about to let someone charge me with a gun. Why would I not protect myself from a knnife?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I've seen that episode. That guy was a nutjob! If I were in that scenario, he would have been drawed down on and if he continued to advance he would have been shot.
    GREAT! Glad you know what I am talking about. I guess my only reason to bring it up was the guy walking ended up not getting killed and he didn't have a gun or anything. Just wonder how ya'll would handle the situation. My favorite quote from the attacker was "you privacy rapist!". Too funnny

VIP Member
    I have knee problems, and can't run any distance. Even without that problem though, individual attacks me with a knife, I have a responsibility to myself to neutralize the threat. As to if the threat isn't "all there", in my opinion, it has no bearing on the situation., A crazy person will kill you just as dead as a sane one will.
    garyacman likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb-norcal View Post
    for me since the attacker is running at me it would be at least bang, bang, bang.
    As many as you need!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Well, I don't run as fast as I did when I was younger, and I don't want to be stabbed from behind. I was walking down the street, he came at me with a knife, BANG!
    + 1 and I must add....... being not all there makes him all the more dangerous. So............BANG,BANG, BANG !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    As many as you need!
    As in don't be stingy with your bullets.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

If the attacker were running at me and I was unable to evade him entirely (likely with my condition), He would end up "less there" than just "not all there."
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

VIP Member
    .....waiting for the day one of my COPS episodes becomes a thread topic on DC
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Cool

YouTube - COPS Theme Song - Bad Boys

For 64zebra.............
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    SO obviously a fight or flight scenario. But if someone charges you with a knife (you are alone) and you have a gun do you run away and hope you are faster or pull the gun and put him down?

And by the way, it was clear from the post arrest comments that the attacker wasn't all there. Does that make a difference?
    1: Yes, I'd run. At least until I'm at a safe distance where drawing and shooting may be an option. I'm most likely already going to be facing away from the attack if I'm walking past him. No time to turn and draw. Even if I get two hits before he's reached me, two little, underpowered .45 slugs aren't going to instantly incapacitate him. So getting away is the first option. If he charges as I'm facing his, yes, draw and fire.

2: No. Your life in danger is just that.

Guy is walking down the street across from some apartments. A guy who lives in the apartments starts threatening the walker from his steps of the apartment. The walker keeps walking. The guy from the apartment keeps yelling "I'm gonna kill you, you privacy rapist" (lot of whackos out there) and then charges the guy with a knife. Ultimately in real life the walker was able to escape and the attacker went back home. The cops showed up and the walker ID'd the guy and the knife which the police found in his apartment.

SO obviously a fight or flight scenario. But if someone charges you with a knife (you are alone) and you have a gun do you run away and hope you are faster or pull the gun and put him down?

And by the way, it was clear from the post arrest comments that the attacker wasn't all there. Does that make a difference?
    Is there A. O. J.? Can I safely escape? Can I safely deescalate the situation? If the answers are yes, no, no........ his mental status is of little concern to me. Depending on the distance, I might not be able to draw, fire and stop him before he gets to me. So there may be some hands on even after he is shot.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I'm fat (changing that as we speak) but still right now at my state, I"m too fat to try to outrun a person that is in halfway good shape. A knife have unlimited ammo, and in some cases, can do more damage than a gun. I will try to run away in hope that he/she would give up but if it gets to close for my level of safety then rounds would fly.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Guy is walking down the street across from some apartments. A guy who lives in the apartments starts threatening the walker from his steps of the apartment. The walker keeps walking. The guy from the apartment keeps yelling "I'm gonna kill you, you privacy rapist" (lot of whackos out there) and then charges the guy with a knife. Ultimately in real life the walker was able to escape and the attacker went back home. The cops showed up and the walker ID'd the guy and the knife which the police found in his apartment.

If someone charges you with a knife - ESPECIALLY if they are not all there - it's time to fire. Unless you're talking 50' away. But SD distances, forget it, he'll be on you in a heartbeat. And if it's SD distances and you try to run, he'll be knifing you in the back before you've hit the second step.

The weapon is to save your life. It's time to save it - - -

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    "Crazy guy charging at you with a knife" is something you can train for. I do.

First option is to employ run-fu. If it's inside Tueller Drill distance the gun won't help. OC spray will be too slow. Get a car or something between you and the attacker if possible. Draw and shoot is the last resort.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

TVJ
    I guess the only question I have (and rarely hear anyone talk about) is can I pull my weapon and say "stop or I'll shoot". If he stops, I don't shoot. If he doesn't.......BANG!? But in the case he stops, am I liable for "brandishing a weapon"?

Asking this question, it seems like you are unclear on the law in Alabama. I suggest reading your Alabama Use of Force Law's.

I also suggest taking Airsoft Force on Force training in your area and run this type of drill to see what you do under this type of stress. I notice that my warning is my gun indexed. My concentration is on targeting my frontsight/point shoot of the bad guy. I want/intend to hit him every trigger pull. Talking interferes with my concentration to efficiently neutralize the threat into the ground and/or move off the X to make myself a difficult target. I realized this when I did Force on Force and someone attacks quickly.

This situation is crystal clear here in Texas. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...E/htm/PE.9.htm

Texas greenlights the use of lethal force. It is reasonable for me to believe (rightly or wrongly) that the man charging me with knife attempts to kill/murder me.

Greenlight lethal force.

Movement becomes tactical depending on his speed, location, my awareness of him. I didnt see the episode. It seems like there was "alot" (use the term loosely) of preparation time as far as attacks go.

No OC, warning optional and depends on the moment and how slow the attack occurs, zero requirement. Mentally unstable is irrelevant in the eyes of the law and/or mine when closing distance on me with a weapon, knife/shank.

Bang bang bang bang into the ground

I train weekly in Tom Sotis Amok knife FoF. I have extreme respect for the power of the knife/shank in contact distance.

At contact distance, it can be very dangerous to bring a gun to a knife fight with only a semiskilled but well focused attacker that just wants to do you harm.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links