Watching COPS on TV, scenario for you all

This is a discussion on Watching COPS on TV, scenario for you all within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guy is walking down the street across from some apartments. A guy who lives in the apartments starts threatening the walker from his steps of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Watching COPS on TV, scenario for you all

Guy is walking down the street across from some apartments. A guy who lives in the apartments starts threatening the walker from his steps of the apartment. The walker keeps walking. The guy from the apartment keeps yelling "I'm gonna kill you, you privacy rapist" (lot of whackos out there) and then charges the guy with a knife. Ultimately in real life the walker was able to escape and the attacker went back home. The cops showed up and the walker ID'd the guy and the knife which the police found in his apartment.

SO obviously a fight or flight scenario. But if someone charges you with a knife (you are alone) and you have a gun do you run away and hope you are faster or pull the gun and put him down?

And by the way, it was clear from the post arrest comments that the attacker wasn't all there. Does that make a difference?

Being not all there does not make the knife wounds any less traumatic. If it was an immediate threat and I could not deescalate the situation by increasing distance or OC then he would have more medical issues than mental. That is a shoot situation.

I'd think it'd be state dependant. GA, for example, doesn't have the "Duty to Retreat" law. If this happened to me, the guy w/ the knife would be escalated against properly (verbal warning, etc...if time permitted), and if did not cease, would be shot. I can't run due to my back injury. So ya, the BG here would have a few ounces of extra metal in his body. I'm not a psychiatrist/psychologist, so the "wasn't all there" thing is not for me to determine, especially if coming at me with a knife.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

I guess the only question I have (and rarely hear anyone talk about) is can I pull my weapon and say "stop or I'll shoot". If he stops, I don't shoot. If he doesn't.......BANG!? But in the case he stops, am I liable for "brandishing a weapon"?

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    In my private opinion: walking on and not commenting or instigating/escalating the siituation meets the duty to retreat clause. This would be a situation where I would use all force necessary to end the attack.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Disclaimer: the following is purely uneducated opinion and really should go through a lawyer for accuracy

I wouldn't think so, at least not in this scenario. Putting self in scenario. The BG was 'chasing' you w/ a knife. You draw and give verbal warning in an attempt to de-escalate. If he does stop, my next steps were to stay drawn and call LEOs. Does he stay there or does he turn around and go back home? If you say stop, he does, but doesn't show signs of leaving the situation, then you have reason to believe that you are still in physical danger, and thus are still protecting yourself by staying drawn. If he leaves, STILL call the LEOs, but if not in immediate threat, re-holster.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    In my private opinion: walking on and not commenting or instigating/escalating the siituation meets the duty to retreat clause. This would be a situation where I would use all force necessary to end the attack.
    In GA, there is no such clause. On a side note.....i want to eat everything non-metallic in your avatar :D
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

VIP Member
    someone charges me with a knife I'll do as I'm trained, if time allows I draw weapon and shoot as this is a threat to my life, if distance doesn't allow (should never happen with situational awareness right?) I've got to do whatever it takes to defend myself

as for the "attacker wasn't all there" part.....no...it makes no difference, an attack is an attack and I have to defend myself
    If I draw and he turns around, and I'm allowed to create more distance and get on the phone then great

P.S. I've seen that episode twice, guy was an idiot liar or had mental issues or both
    Last edited by 64zebra; April 8th, 2011 at 06:41 PM.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Well, I don't run as fast as I did when I was younger, and I don't want to be stabbed from behind. I was walking down the street, he came at me with a knife, BANG!
    garyacman likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

All there or not wouldn't help those that depend on you
    Never should you put your back to danger. Put them
    Down better to face a judge than a mortician.

If you are just using the COPS episode as a starting point for your scenario and the scenario really does have a fellow "charging me with a knife' and the perpetrator has entered within the 21 foot zone and he is truly charging, then I don't see any alternative than to immediately draw and fire to stop the imminent threat of bodily harm or death. Tueller drill shows what can happen there. If he was just screaming at me from the stairs across the street and coming down them but not really getting close, even if he had a knife, I would most likely have my hand on my weapon and be ready to draw but would first try to convince him that he really should just stay where he is or his day will get really bad, really quick. Then 911 gets called while never taking my eyes off him. It really depends on distance from the nutty guy and whether he is closing distance on me. I saw that COPS episode a few times and they never had video of what actually happened as far as a true "charging with the knife" did they? That's why I wanted to clarify what I would do in each scenario. I also grew up in NY and it would be very state dependent thing as to what I would do. My actions in Florida or Texas might be different than in NY. Heck, I've even read that in some states brandishing to avoid a violent encounter is even permitted.

I already have distance, create some more

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Well, I don't run as fast as I did when I was younger, and I don't want to be stabbed from behind. I was walking down the street, he came at me with a knife, BANG!
    For me since the attacker is running at me it would be at least bang, bang, bang.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Tough one... sounds like one of those neighborhoods where if you did end up shooting or pulling a gun, there could potentially be many guns aiming at you quite fast.
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRed7 View Post
    I'd think it'd be state dependent. GA, for example, doesn't have the "Duty to Retreat" law. If this happened to me, the guy w/ the knife would be escalated against properly (verbal warning, etc...if time permitted), and if did not cease, would be shot. I can't run due to my back injury. So ya, the BG here would have a few ounces of extra metal in his body. I'm not a psychiatrist/psychologist, so the "wasn't all there" thing is not for me to determine, especially if coming at me with a knife.
    +1 He might get a "STOP, DROP YOUR WEAPON" and then I escalate. His mental state, being on drugs, etc are not relevant to "I was in fear for my life and I defended my (self/wife/daughter). If I have pepper spray or tazer (left hand), he may get a chance to play again.

I've seen that episode. That guy was a nutjob! If I were in that scenario, he would have been drawed down on and if he continued to advance he would have been shot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links