What do you say, if anything, before you shoot - Page 6

What do you say, if anything, before you shoot

This is a discussion on What do you say, if anything, before you shoot within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First I'd say "I can't believe this thread has gone five pages!". Then I shoot him in the big toe....

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: What do you say, if anything, before you shoot

VIP Member
    First I'd say "I can't believe this thread has gone five pages!". Then I shoot him in the big toe.
    Rock and Glock and JoJoGunn like this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I would say here is another way to look at the scenario with some obvious differences......

Liberal vs. Conservative vs. Southerner

Scenario: You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, a dangerous looking man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges. You are carrying a Glock 45 and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

Liberal Answer:

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question! Does the man look poor or oppressed? Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack? Could we run away? What does my wife think? What about the kids? Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? What does the law say about this situation?

Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it? Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children? Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me? Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me? If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me?

Should I call 9-1-1? Why is this street so deserted? We need to raise taxes, have a paint and weed day and make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior.

This is all so confusing! I need to debate this with some friends for a few days and try to come to a consensus.

Conservative Answer:

BANG!

Southerner's Answer:

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click....(sounds of reloading). BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click.

Daughter: "Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the Winchester Silver Tips??
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    A few days ago an officer issued a warning from behind partial cover of his patrol car for a person to put down a shotgun he was aiming at the officer. The response by the owner of the shotgun was to fire at the officer causing the officer to lose the sight of one eye.
    I did not read that thread, but this reminds me of something I read long ago: "While covering one person and someone else makes a hostile move, shoot the one you have covered, then deal with the other." (paraphrasing, of course) I don't recall if it was a military or law enforcement context.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    I did not read that thread, but this reminds me of something I read long ago: "While covering one person and someone else makes a hostile move, shoot the one you have covered, then deal with the other." (paraphrasing, of course) I don't recall if it was a military or law enforcement context.
    I can relate to that, only I did the opposite. I was mounted on an uncooperative prone burglar, prepatory to cuffing when I observed another coming down some stairs ten feet away with a large knife. I drew on the knife wielder and ordered him to stop and drop the knife, meantime the prone one continued to "buck". I clipped the prone one along side the gord with the barrel of my 27, which settled him down, then took care of the knife guy.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

BANG!....Stop or I'll shoot!
    Stubborn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by airslot View Post
    When it's time to shoot SHOOT! DON'T TALK
    Good advice from Tuco.
    You gotta love movie quotes.

"Garbage Day!"
    Bang!

In my state you are not required to give a verbal warning.

If others are clearly in jeopardy and I have the advantage of surprise...which may also contribute to keeping others safe....then I feel no obligation to give a warning. I'd do everthing to keep the odds in my favor...otherwise I'd be further risking the lives others.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

1) Gimme All your money!!! and your watch, and car keys.
    2) Say hello to my little friend.
    3) This is a robbery get down and no one will get hurt.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I agree with some many others here.
    In this scenario, talking may increase the danger for you and other innocents. There are situations where talking could help de-escalate things. But, in this situation the BG has already escalated to the use of "deadly" force. SO IMHO' stopping him ASAP is of the utmost importance!

Like I said on the other forum, if I act correctly and with some divine help, the BG will NEVER, EVER know I was there.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i am a big believer in situational awareness. over the decades it has saved me a number of times from having to fill out reports regarding shots fired.
    --dude by a movie theater as my wife & i were going towards it says he has a knife ( with his hand in his pocket). my hand was in my coat pocket wrapped around my 642 pointed at his belt and i told him "you have to speak louder, my ears are still ringing from target shooting before dinner". he looked at me like a puppy does when they are not sure about something and wandered off.

another gentleman and his, err...friend in a wal-mart parking lot asked me for my car keys. i told him, that if anyone asks him tomorrow if he's ever been shot, he can say 'yes'. he insulted my parents but left he did.

----------------------------

smooth is good
    smooth is fast

As I absorb the situation and realize the horror of it all it would be over. Gecko45 would have already shot the perp inside and the rest outside. After the day he had at the mall this would be a vacation.

"It's just been revoked."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    To say something will simply give away your position and advantage. He has already demonstrated his willingness to shoot, to shoot him in defense of others would be justifiable.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    By shooting first the BG has already shown intent and capability, no need for further conversation.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Sponsored Links