What do you say, if anything, before you shoot - Page 7

What do you say, if anything, before you shoot

This is a discussion on What do you say, if anything, before you shoot within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; BANG! "What's the square root of 625?" "What's the capital of Oklahoma?" "Where's the beef?" Shoot first. Ask questions later....

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: What do you say, if anything, before you shoot

BANG!

"What's the square root of 625?"
    "What's the capital of Oklahoma?"
    "Where's the beef?"

Shoot first. Ask questions later.
    ExactlyMyPoint likes this.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    First, I would reflect upon the experience of others that I have read of, to wit: One citizen who challenged an active shooter in a mall and who is now in a wheelchair after being shot subsequent to the challenge. Another who challenge an armed robber in a Burger King who spent a lot of time in the hospital after being hit during an exchange of gunfire that followed his challenge.

Then, I would reflect upon what I have seen of History Channel's 'Gangland' series where gangbangers not only survive more than one shooting, but appear to reflect upon it either as part of doing business or as a badge of honor.

From the second reflection, I would conclude that someone hearing a warning might decide that anybody who was going to issue a warning who did NOT identify themselves as a cop right away (and even some that did--not all cops have demonstrated a willingness to shoot even when it was necessary) might take such a warning as evidence that the person behind them would be reluctant to pull the trigger and decide to take a risk that would get them another gun to sell on the street.

Given such reflection, and the evidence of immediate and evident threat to others' lives as indicated in the OP, it seems likely that I would conclude it best to, as quietly and unobtrusively as possible (and hoping I have the presence of mind to slide behind concealment or cover and check around for accomplices in view) draw the weapon, take the most careful aim possible, and shoot the bad guy in the amygdala.
    Bark'n, 12smile and tcox4freedom like this.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    There's a time to talk, and a time to shoot. Never mix up the two. JMHO...

"Freud said a gun is like a Pe***, and just like Pe*****, Mine's bigger than yours." :-)
    Seriously, Bang, quite possibly Bang bang bang
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

If shots have been fired already I would say nothing and return fire. If no shots have been fired I would tell him "Police(in my state) drop your weapon now, get on the floor with hands out or I will kill you where you stand, do it now!" Well it looked cool in front of the mirror.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by xtalman View Post
    bang!

"what's the square root of 625?"
    "what's the capital of oklahoma?"
    "where's the beef?"

shoot first. Ask questions later.

now thats funny!

Yo, Homey!
    ...T. Ray

If he's fired in an enclosed area I don't know that it matters what you say as everyone is going to have a lot of trouble hearing.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I have not reviewed all the replies to this thread so excuse me if I am repeating, but in any situation involving what you consider to be a threatening situation whatever you say should be LOUD, LOUD LOUD---it is called attracting witnesses---a critical part of any explaining you may have to do.
    TVJ likes this.

GOING DOWN! Next stop Hades. (BANG BANG) Take all you want, eat all you take.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I'd put one in the back of his head as fast as I could as to not give him the slightest chance to make peace with whoever he prays to.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

deleted- double post

deleted

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    BOOM, BOOM, "halt", BOOM
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Difficult choices and decisions come with the authority and ability to dispense death at the touch of a finger.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

The Answer Is A Question:

I wouldn't know what I'd do - including shooting him - it's so dependent on the moment. But since the principle of these scenarios is to think through possibilities - I guess I'd hope any decision - shooting or not, yelling before shooting or not - would follow the answer to this question that we can contemplate now: "Is this action necessary to save my life or someone else's."? And you could add a parallel one : "Am I sure that this action will not worsen the outcome?"

If for example the BG's gun is now leveled on a clerk after his shot, there's a enough of a chance his trigger finger would jerk when he got hit - and the round hit the clerk - for me to want to risk shooting him - least it seems to me here and now. And the alternative: waiting at ready or perhaps calling 911 - may well be tolerable if his shot was a warning that he was serious and not an actual attempt to kill- and from what he yells there is evidence that this is the case. In other words, at the moment it is not absolutely necessary for me to shoot him - so for this moment - I don't have to risk the clerk's life - so I don't fire.

The same type of thinking would go for any choice before you -

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Links