What do you say, if anything, before you shoot

This is a discussion on What do you say, if anything, before you shoot within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Rule #4 On The Forum Rules Page. 4. As a family-friendly forum, we ask that you keep your language clean, exactly as we hope you ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: What do you say, if anything, before you shoot

What do you say, if anything, before you shoot

Rule #4 On The Forum Rules Page.
    4. As a family-friendly forum, we ask that you keep your language clean, exactly as we hope you would when addressing respected elders. Creative workarounds (the use of special characters to replace some letters) on language are not allowed. Violators of this rule will be warned once; those repeatedly breaking this rule will have their accounts permanently revoked. NOTE: Links to off site material will be held to our family-friendly standard, as well.

NOTE: There have been three language rule violations in this thread already. Go outside and yell the foul language if you feel like it but, DON'T type it here.

Scenario:

It is 1:00 in the afternoon, you are in a semi industrial area in a convenience store. You are in the back area of the store picking up a loaf of bread that your wife asked you to bring home. You are the only customer in the store. There are 2 clerks in the store behind the counter.

A man in a hoodie with dark glasses comes through the door and starts screaming "Give me the money" and shoots at one of the clerks. BG hasn't seen you and you position yourself for a clear shot. You can take out the BG without covering the clerks.

What do you do next? Do you shoot first so as not to lessen your advantage? Do you shout something?

I ask because there are instructors in both camps. Yeager and others say not to invite the BG to your gunfight and states that shooting someone in the back without notice is sometimes ethical. Others teach that you should always yell something like "Stop, drop the weapon." Not instructional but Crimson Trace in their videos show a scene where the GG yells at the BG and does not shoot until the BG, who has a shotgun turns.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    If I was to yell something it would be at the same time I was shooting. The yell would be to alert others as to what was going on, not to give the BG any warning.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

I would not say anything. If he already has shot one person, he wont hesitate to shoot another, nor will he just drop his gun on command. I am not going to let him see me, and definitely not going to let him turn around and aim down on me.
    Cabreco, tkruf, garyacman and 2 others like this.

Tough one. How about, "This is a .380 auto pistol, the least powerful gun in the world and it may turn your head into mush. What you have to do is think about it. I mean, does it have good sights or is it an LCP? It's all up to you... Well? Are you feeling lucky, punk?"

+1 !! LOL!!!

( And I do carry a .380 as back up!...Not a LCP Tho)

In the stated incident, any communication I have for the susp will come out of the muzzle of my gun (sort of a GG/BG braile, if you will).
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

The pulp fiction answer

Jules: Well there's this passage I got memorized. Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

" I been sayin' that BLEEP for years. And if you ever heard it, it meant your BLEEP. I never gave much thought what it meant. I just thought it was some cold-blooded sBLEEP to say to a motherBLEEP before I popped a cap in his BLEEP.

Quote Originally Posted by m287452 View Post
    Tough one. How about, "This is a .380 auto pistol, the least powerful gun in the world and it may turn your head into mush. What you have to do is think about it. I mean, does it have good sights or is it an LCP? It's all up to you... Well? Are you feeling lucky, punk?"
    Totally beat me to the punch.

Ok, I got it.

"Whats with all these ****** ****** guns in this ****** ****** store?!?!" When the BG is all confused from the modded movie quote, he turns, and I off him.

I think I would go for shock and awe factor. As loud as a could I would yell one of these:

"FREEZE!! DROP THE GUN!!"
    "FREEZE!! Move one muscle and today will be the last day of your life!!"
    "FREEZE!!! Drop the gun or I WILL END YOU!!"

haha honestly who really knows. I would say it all depends on the situation. For this particular one, the BG has already fired towards someone. I don't think I would say anything. Maybe yelling "GET DOWN!" as a cue to the clerks that I am about to engage the BG. I think all of this stuff is based on the situation though. I think "FREEZE" would be the best thing as that conveys what you want them to do in a short one syllable word. Yelling it makes it even better.

hahah
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

WOOHOOO bang bang bang bang
    Lewis128, tkruf, Spade115 and 1 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

very good ? me if he came in i would tell him freez but if he has already fired shots, then your life is in danger, and you are aloud to protect you or some one else life in danger, so if he already shot i would not hesite and drop the target! i carry a sig suer p250 40 cal.

How about : "And Shepherds we shall be For Thee my Lord, for Thee Power hath descended forth from Thy hand Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patri, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti. "

Honestly, I don't know. Macho BS aside, I'd imagine I'd be vomiting and crying afterwards, but that's better than being a helpless victim any day.
    Lotus222, enk5 and Dal1Celt like this.

I would whisper goodbye and say a prayer after.

shoot

He already shot at one clerk so you know the gun is real and loaded. He deserves no warning. Everyone else in the store is in extreme danger for their lives. You also can't assume he does not know you are there. He could have seen you go in.
    tkruf, Old School and movingshrub like this.

I'd whisper, "Jesus, get ready, he's coming!"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    The guy already started to fire his gun. The time for talking at that point is long gone.
    oneshot, WHEC724, tkruf and 4 others like this.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links