Answer to so many DC questions? - Page 3

Answer to so many DC questions?

This is a discussion on Answer to so many DC questions? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; BadgerJ, I think that your best preparation will be similar to others. Learn to be aware of what is going on around you and be ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Answer to so many DC questions?

BadgerJ,

I think that your best preparation will be similar to others. Learn to be aware of what is going on around you and be able to maintain that as much as possible. Lear to recognize pre assault ques and behavior patterns. Carry nonlethal alternatives. Train and practice to become as fast and proficient as possible with all your tools. I agree with you that there are advantages of both speed and stealth to pocket carry.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    This is why I pocket carry off duty, easier to be ready to go without a brandishing charge. It just looks like my hands are in my pockets. OC spray is better for this situation. While on duty I have to fuel my vehicle at a bad gas station in the area I work. Most panhandlers will avoid me because of the uniform, but some still come up. I have had a few aggressive ones, who "told" me I needed to give him five bucks and it was important that I do so. I told him no and he said come on man, i gotta have that money and started towards me again, I pulled my OC off my belt and told him he was gonna get sprayed if he didn't step back(more like yelled it). Point here being that I waited until he became aggressive and started coming at me before I deployed my OC, you should do the same, but obviously you will need to determine for your self what distance your comfortable with having someone near you. If you tell them to back off and they keep coming, spray em. If they leave, problem solved, no brandishing charges can be brought, and you saved him the trouble of cleaning mace out of his eyes at lock up. Make sure you call police anyway, he may lie and say you tried to rob him with it. When deploying any defensive tool, call the cops and save yourself the grief of a false report
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Hummmmm.... interesting comments. Reminds me of this :

I had a situation occur similar to the OP's description, and the guy took it to demanding "YOU WILL GIVE ME ALL OF YOUR MONEY" and cussing me as he reached into his pocket..... and I could see the outline of the knife he was grabbing ahold of in his pocket.

I do need to get some OC spray.... I probably would have used it before it got to that point. LOL.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Blading your strong side way from the threat allows you to clear and grip and they will see no weapon, only your movement.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I think drawing your handgun just because he refused to comply with your request to NOT put his hands in his pocket is going to get you into trouble.
    There maybe times when I would consider showing or drawing my handgun while not having already made the decision to fire, but it would have to be in a situation that has already caused me to feel that I was in danger of attack.

There are even some here that take the stand that if they draw, they are shooting. In other words they chose to wait until the danger is clear and eminent and then react. This is a more solid position from a legal stand point but it puts you at a disadvantage on the action reactionchart.

There is a fine line between drawing to soon and drawing to late. However drawing just becasue someone has their hands in their pockets might be to soon. If they make a threat and make a "furative" (i believe the word sometimes used legally) move to their pocket then you could make an argument that you were in fear of him having a weapon so you drew.

I have often wondered about saying something like " STAND BACK I AM ARMED" in a loud voice without actually drawing. I know every situation is different but this might defuse the situation also. I suppose this could be interpreted as threatening but that is perhaps better than actually brandishing your weapon. What does everyone think of this?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    I've read through almost the entire forum - lots of good threads.

One thing that occurred to me is this. When you are confronted by a perp, why not do what a LEO would do in that situation? After all, they are trained in 'preemption' drawing down on you if there's a hint of a problem.
    Do you respond to every first-responder situation accordingly? Fire, medical? I think there is a definite difference between the citizen who has the expectation to get out of harm's way and the first responder who has the expectation to act according to their training and regulatory authority.

Another thing is that brandishing comes from the attitude of publicly identifying oneself with using one's weapon. IMO, the right attitude is to focus on the honest task at hand and the destination one set for oneself for their current errand and deal with threats as necessary and not to focus on police tactics and commands.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    thebodyman, your theory also has flaws, let me run a scenario by you, guy walks over to you, asks for a smoke, money, jump etc etc. You say no, and he keeps asking. Then you yell stay back I am armed, stay back I have a gun, whatever. That in and of itself in some jurisdictions is illegal. It also gives away your element of surprise and in some places could give the other guy the impression you are threatning him. Be very very careful with what you say. Stay back I have a gun is almost as bad if not worse than stay back, and then drawing a gun. Just yell get away from me, I can't help. If he persists and comes at you, grabs you, pulls a weapon, game on. Be it with OC spray, your hands or a weapon do not give away your advantage before you have too
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I understand your point and think you are doing well on thinking of what if scenerios. My opinion is that the situation is flawed. Your CPL is for self defense involving deadly force on you. It is not for a pre-emptive strike.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links