Woman being beaten in restaurant...what would you do? (Merged)

This is a discussion on Woman being beaten in restaurant...what would you do? (Merged) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; UPDATE of sorts: "The victim, a 22-year-old transgender woman, says she is the victim of a hate crime. Polis says before she was attacked, one ...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Woman being beaten in restaurant...what would you do? (Merged)

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    UPDATE of sorts:

"The victim, a 22-year-old transgender woman, says she is the victim of a hate crime. Polis says before she was attacked, one teen said Polis was a man using the women’s restroom and accused Polis of talking to her man."

Rally planned after beating outside Md. McDonald’s - Crime Scene - The Washington Post

2. Remove Ads

I re-read my states laws on use of force. It says you can use deadly force to stop the commission of a felony you may be witnessing. I wonder if this would qualify as felony assault? If so you would be justified (in my state) to shoot them. However when they start to flee, you cannot shoot them anymore. So pop one, and let the others run away. Just food for thought.

My state says similar, but having necessarily used deadly force in the past, if I can reasonably avoid it, I do.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Assuming I was there for the whole event and saw what happened from beginning to when the beating began, I would have intervened after i saw that the force given to the one being attacked was to the point of serious harm(right about when the kicks started). I'm a decently husky guy. I can stand toe to toe with some of the good ones and hold my own. Seeing the amount of force given to repel the attackers by the manager shows me that a good couple of pushes/slaps/punches would have successfully removed the attackers long enough till police assistance was there. I would have placed myself as a block between the attackers and the victim. No where in the video did I see a point where I feel that I would have drawn my weapon.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

I don't think I buy the latest story that the attack was because the victum was a transgender male that refused to leave the ladies room. Looking at this video
    YouTube - McDonalds Beating Victim Speaks Out (Chrissy Lee Polis)
    I don't think the attackers could tell either. Assuming that the ladies room has stalls, not urinals there is no way they would know this wasn't a woman.
    The victum claims the attack started over a conversation between the girl's (14 year old, I believe) boyfriend and the victum. It's hard to imagine a 14 year old being this jealious yet I think that's exactly what happened. I have seen teenagers acting this way. That age makes their hormones leap and it controls all their actions. I'll go as far as to say the boyfriend is probably considerable older than the 14 year old. It may have been employee in the blue shirt that semi-intervened. That may explain why he wasn't that forcefull in his attempts to stop the attack.

The question of the use of a ladies room by a transgender male raises an interesting delemia. Consider the options, go into a mens room while dressed as a woman perhaps inducing an unwanted advance by anyone in the mens room, or go into a ladies
    room, act like a woman, use a stall with a door, and no one is the wiser. I doubt he would make a point of trying to draw attention to the fact that he was actually not a woman.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    Right or wrong this good ol boy is getting involved. The way I see it the girl that was attacked was in fear for her life,could not flee and could not defend herself in my neck of the woods we can defend a third party.
    I could have done the same here in Florida. More than justified to use deadly force in this situation. That girl could have died of her injuries.

I just watched this video for the first time and it absolutely makes me SICK. I want to HURT the dude that was there the whole time and seemed to egg it on. This absolutely infuriates me!

I haven't knocked someone unconscious in a while. I would have added atleast two more to the list that night.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar

REALLY,THIS IS WHAT OUR COUNTRY IS BECOMING !!!!!!! NOT A BIG FELLA, I AM NOT, AND PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN SLAPPED AROUND , WOULD NOT BE THE FIRST TIME , NOR WOULD IT BE THE LAST , I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM JUMPING IN . LETS EVEN IT UP A BIT !!! EACH ONE WHO STOOD AND DID NOTHING SHOULD GET THE SAME TREATMENT . ONE MORE REASON NOT TO EAT IN PLACES LIKE THAT.

Ok.. 7 pages of responses. Here's mine. I don't care whether it was a transgender person, or a young woman, etc. I would not stand there and allow this to continue. I realize a lot of people would be afraid of assault charges on underage kids if they touched them, and a lot of people seem to think women should be allowed to fight each other without a man interfering. But this is different. If it were a one-on-one situation and it was a continuing struggle, I would stay out. If it were a one-on-one situation and there was a clear winner to the fight but the winner continued to beat the looser once they were down, I'd also step in. Considering we had a two-on-one situation and the looser was clearly down and still being beaten there is very little question.

Now.. Would I have used lethal force? No. In fact, I suspect had anyone actually attempted to interfere, the girls would have left their victim alone immediately. The fact that they went unchallenged is why it continued. However, if for some reason they pulled a weapon on me or had a boyfriend around the corner who tried to complicate the scenario, then I would draw my gun. If that didn't help, then the next step would be to start shooting.

All I can say is if that was my daughter they beat like that,they wouldn't need a defense lawyer,there is something wrong with a society that thinks somebody getting beat is funny,wonder if the response would have been the same if the girl being beat was black and the assailants white.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I see nothing in the video that indicates immanent danger to loss of life. Perhaps 10-15 years ago I would have leaped from a nearby phone booth as Captain America! I witnessed a similar incident about a year ago but I let others toll the line while I called deputy dog. The mere fact that I’m carrying a gun dissuades me from becoming involved. I shouldn’t have to tell you of the exposure that could lead to.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

UPDATE: Woman Sentenced To 5 Years In McDonald’s Transgender Attack

Quote Originally Posted by CBSBaltimore.com
    Teonna Brown was convicted of a hate crime and first-degree assault. She will spend five years in prison.
    Seems like they got her for a hate crime as well as the assault.
    gottabkiddin and Medic218 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sometimes the blind lady gets it right.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Links