Concealed carry at home

This is a discussion on Concealed carry at home within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rammerjammer My house, my rules. I pocket carry and one of the reasons why beyond comfort is that no one knows but ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Concealed carry at home

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    My house, my rules. I pocket carry and one of the reasons why beyond comfort is that no one knows but me 99% of the time. I have an extremely anti sister-in-law and I know she wouldn't want me to carry in hers and my brother's home. I do it everytime and no one is the wiser. Don't ask, Don't tell.
    So I take it you're a "my house - my rules" kind of guy - except you don't respect your sister-in-law's wishes in her home.

I take it the absolute arrogant hypocrisy of this double standard doesn't really bother you much.
    limatunes and TheGreatGonzo like this.

2. Remove Ads

If we have relatives or friends over I am very discrete.....don't ask anyone for permission as I don't have to but I take care not to let it be seen by anyone, might even go to a smaller .380 to make sure it's hidden......Very simple procedure....but it's there.

I CC everywhere I go these days. As another member here already posted, I am very 'low-key' about carrying and most of the time my wife doesn't even know I am carrying. Even in my own home if I am carrying, my weapon is never exposed at any time. The OP said he took his coat off when inside his house and exposed his weapon....that is something I would just never do (absolutely no disrespect to the OP), especially with children around. If I was at someone eles home and (by chance) someone figured out somehow that I was carring in their home and they asked me to remove my weapon, I would respect their wishes. However, I would have to leave their home though, as I am not going to leave my weapon unattended in another room of their home. Bottom line for me is to....'be respectful, safe and responsible wherever I go while CC'ing my weapon'.

[QUOTE=stargzer;1919924]my wife's house, we recently got married/QUOTE]

Not trying to be disrespectful, but you said it was your wife's house. If she wants you to put weapons up, then until the both of you can come to a decision I would respect her way.

That being said, I'm happy that my wife does not have any qualms about my carry, as long as my young'ens can't get them.
    archer51 likes this.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

I would say the 1st step is talking and some education. Even though it's your house, it's likely going to be a lot more pleasant for ALL parties if you realize you have other people and their feelings involved. Especially since her son was likely in that house before you were. Find out how much they know about firearms, and explain that in your holster is the safest place for the gun. Many times explaining how guns work will do it. Problem is all too many times we hear in the media, the gun accidentally went off, or he dropped it and it went off, or he shot himself while cleaning the gun. We all know that things like that do not happen. What happens is something is screwing around with a gun, which you will not do, therefore nothing bad will happen.

When I first started to carry my fiancee and I talked about it, and she asked if I was going to carry all the time. At first i had not made up my mind to be carrying 100% of the time, but after both of us paid a bit more attention to bad things that were happening, a murder or 2 in our small county, both of us realized, it's better to be safe than sorry. One of the main thoughts that both of us believe in fully is, how crappy would I feel if something happened and THAT was the day I decided to NOT carry. And yes I carry at home, I have a 5 year old and a 10 year old. The safest place for my firearms are on my side or in my safe, and if they are in the safe there is NO way I could get to them in time to help. We even went to family yesterday for easter, and I have 2 very concealable hand guns, G26 with supertuck and an LCP pocket carry OR a micro-tuck that I made. No one knew I carried, nor should they need to, unless something bad happened. Thats the great thing about all the new conceal carry holsters and smaller guns, only you HAVE to know you are carrying. Just my 2 cents

VIP Member
    As the OP said, and has been mentioned by others. The house was the wifes prior to the marriage. So technically it is HER rules that are what count.

The two of you need to set down and have a long discussion about this. Iron out what the rules are not only in reference to guns, but to other things as well. If she is going to take her sons wishes over yours, I see rough roads ahead.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Other than locked up I would think that on my hip and covered would be the safest location. Of course different people means different views on any subject. Now I have ot agree with the "my house my rules" point of view but, having been on the other end of that statement, understand the ill effects itcan cause. My father-in-law, who has a ccw, realized after 13 months he would see his daughter less and me none. Long story short he called we talked and now our weapons are as welcome in his house as his.

i would politely tell step-son to GET BENT.......you don't tell ME what to do in MY house....don't like it, the door is right over there....
    paullie likes this.

I would've simply explained to him that there really isn't a safer place for a gun. If it's being worn in a holster, I seriously doubt any children are going to be able to get it from you without your knowledge. Offer to take him shooting and explain to him how responsible you really are.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I always have my weapon with/on me. At my parents house, I'll leave it in 'my' bedroom. At my house, it's almost always at least within arms reach. My fiancee doesn't mind- even though she often jokes about my 'paranoia'- but one of her friends doesn't like it. Two of her friends accept it as part of who I am, and another (to the best of my knowledge) doesn't even know I keep it with me. The one that doesn't like it... She is welcome here, and I will put it out of sight. But it's always in the room, and if she objects too much, she knows where the door is- seeing as she just walked through it to come inside.

My fiancee knows how I feel about it, and so do her friends; I have only ever had the one person object the one time.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    To the OP--as you related the story, when you mentioned it to your new wife, she said that you should have removed it because that's the rule. It sounds like that even though you and your new wife have not talked about it--she and HER adult children have a standard SOP/protocol that you, in ignorance-not knowing the already established SOP, did not follow.

While this particular discussion is unique because it involves a concealed carry issue, the basic problem of unclear expectations and family rules unknown by the newcomer are often difficult points of contentions until they can be talked thru. These issues are often difficult primarily because the "newcomer" (as YOU are in this instance) bumps into this unknown boundary of a new family rule.

Talk it through objectively, this is your best course of action--or come to see me and I'll help you talk it thru--but its gonna cost about $65 an hour
    gasmitty likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

RKM
    I CC in my parents house all day. Whether they know or not, whatever. They know I carry. Though, I only carry around the house if I'm dressed. If I'm in my "house" clothes, I usually just keep one at easy access.

As long as you're young enough and able to function and live life on your own, don't let your son tell you what to do. Advice is one thing, but don't take orders from your son. It's your house. I've given my father advice on certain things and give suggestions, but I never give him orders.

What he said and pocket carry also.
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    Concealed means concealed. My wife doesn't even know I'm carrying most of the time. For family functions I usually carry my G27 Gen4 in my Galco ankle glove because of all the hugging that is involved at these functions. Family Easter party was at my home and I have a 2 and a 4 year old running around. No one knew and I don't disclose. I alternate between the ankle glove and my MaxTuck iwb depending on the situation.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    i would politely tell step-son to GET BENT.......you don't tell ME what to do in MY house....don't like it, the door is right over there....
    ...and give up seeing your wife's grandchildren with the hard feelings YOU created. Your new marriage will be over in 3...2....1.....

I've been married over thirty years to the same woman, and if I was a big-time Richard to my son-in-law that caused a rift so she couldn't see our granddaughter, I'd be on the street faster than you could say divorce.
    Last edited by MadMac; April 25th, 2011 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    ...and give up seeing your wife's grandchildren with the hard feelings YOU created. Your new marriage will be over in 3...2....1.....
    Not necessarily, not every family disenfranchises at the sight of a firearm.
    One more step and it's on!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links