Approached at gas station

This is a discussion on Approached at gas station within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; bugdude, You done good. I won't give cash. Depending on my feel for the situation, I might put gas in the can, like you did. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Approached at gas station

bugdude,

You done good. I won't give cash. Depending on my feel for the situation, I might put gas in the can, like you did.
    And, sometimes family is family.

You can sleep with a clear conscience.
    bbqgrill likes this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

TVJ
    nice tactical, charitable giving
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

I gotta say I'm impressed, not just by the OP but more by the rest of this thread for not turning into a "I would have given him the boot" train. A lot of things I read on forums make me wonder if I belong here at all, but this was a nice change of pace. Two pages without even a mention of hosing the poor guy down with pepper spray is a nice change. The world isn't against us, and it's nice to see people not acting like it is. There's a lot to be said for helping people out. Nicely done.

I agree, good call to help the guy out. Maybe you did get suckered, maybe not. With them actually asking for gas and not money I feel like it's the latter. And good job on keeping control of the situation without really freaking the guy out. Telling him to keep both hands on the can keeps them where you can see them and helps keep him from dropping it. He's only going to think about the latter in all likelihood.

I'm all for helping your fellow man, it's just hard to know who needs what you can give and who wants what you have.
    oneshot likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar

Thumbs up I'm impressed

I'm new here, but I'm definitely impressed by the attitude of this entire thread. ANYBODY can come upon hard times. "There go I, but for the grace of God". Outstanding "Bugdude" kudo's to you!
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I totally agree with how you handled it.

First off for 8 bucks of gas you maybe avoided a big fight and lots of expensive legal trouble.

Second, you don't know, you might have actually done a really good kind act.

Third, good positioning and awareness.

I've turned a couple of people down in similar circumstances and then regretted it wondering if they were really in need. I'm still beating myself up about one guy who wanted money for food.

You have no way to know, but chalk one up in your good act column and be proud of yourself.
    I usually try to avoid any potential "issues" at the gas stations as they're just one stop problem shops, but I will help if the person's body language isn't creeping me out. As to the money for food thing, that's fixable. One thing I learned growing up in baltimore there's an easy way to tell if they "need" food or need whiskey...

I always refused to give them "money for food", but told them if they asked me for what type of food they wanted I promised to go get the food and bring it back to them. It almost never failed at least probably 3/4ths of the time I wasn't taken up on the food offer. They were always insistent on the green$$.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Good job BugDude, you acted like a decent human being. I am willing to help with gas and with food, but not with cash. But bless you for helping out not only friends in need but strangers. These kindnesses make the world a civilized place.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Thank you bug dude for not thinking that he was out to get you. Its nice people can still have a heart and not think the world is against them. People fall upon hard times and need a hand now and then. Good for you. Next time it could be you or someone in your family that needs a few gallons.

Well played sir!

Chances are he really needed the help, Most crack heads and bums want the money claiming they are outta gas. I just had a guy ride up on me on a bicycle last week while I was at the gas pump and before he could stop his bike I told him I did not have any money to give away. He sat there for a second and moved on which was good for the both of us.

TVJ
    (truth be told, I did really like your in the moment idea to douse him with gas if he turned out to actually threaten you. That one goes in my bag of tricks.)

Again well done Tactically.
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I usually try to avoid any potential "issues" at the gas stations as they're just one stop problem shops, but I will help if the person's body language isn't creeping me out. As to the money for food thing, that's fixable. One thing I learned growing up in baltimore there's an easy way to tell if they "need" food or need whiskey...

I always refused to give them "money for food", but told them if they asked me for what type of food they wanted I promised to go get the food and bring it back to them. It almost never failed at least probably 3/4ths of the time I wasn't taken up on the food offer. They were always insistent on the green$$.
    I usually just buy them a happy meal, if I feel they actually want food and not booze or drugs. Seriously, who doesn't like happy meals?

As for the OP, good job. I'd much rather give someone a few gallons of gas, rather than cash. You just never know what they're going to do with that money.

Very well played. The antis have nothing on you.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Well, I think you did a good thing. Maybe the dude could have paid for the gas... but maybe your generosity allowed him to hold what money he had left to pay for the next meal. The economy sucks, and gas at nearly $4/gal in places, two gallons of gas can buy a meal for someone counting every penny.

I'd rather have charity come from individual citizens and the generosity of our fellow man than from some government program just throwing taxpayer cash around with no accountability. You were "the man on the ground", who was able to assess the need, the situation and made a choice to help a guy out. That's the best kind of charity. Good for you BugDude!

As far as being on alert and worried about an attack from the dude asking for gas. Yes, it sucks we have to consider such things as being blindsided from some criminal using a ruse to get someone to drop their guard. What separates people like us from many of the masses, is we don't blunder into such situations with our eyes closed and heads in the clouds. You utilized your situational awareness to put you on guard, and you formulated a plan of action, and stood at the ready and capable of handling things had his intent been anything other than what he said.

As far as getting fleeced from the family asking for handouts... Well, that's another issue. Good to just focus on your good deed at the gas station. Something good done during the Easter season... It should make you feel good.

Great story brother.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

While pastoring in Texas years ago I had an agreement with the gas station/grocery store across the street. I could call him and authorize purchases to be put on the churches account. We were the first church off the exit on I-30 so we got a lot of people stopping by with stories. Believe me I have heard it all.

The one that got me was - Family traveling to a relatives funeral and ran out of money. Need gas, food, diapers for the two babies etc. I authorized full tank of gas, bread, lunchmeat, milk for the babies etc. About 10 minutes later a store owner called me. The car held less than 2 gallons of gas and they wanted beer or money instead of the food. Make you kind of hard hearted after story after story.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links