Approached at gas station - Page 4

Approached at gas station

This is a discussion on Approached at gas station within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think you handled it well. And as others have said, it was $8 or so. You may have really helped out a young man ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Approached at gas station

I think you handled it well. And as others have said, it was $8 or so. You may have really helped out a young man who really needed it at that point in time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

To sum it up, BugDude, you kept it real.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

It is really hard to read people in these situations. Giving gas or food is probably a good idea.

I once had a young lady (late teens or so) approach me in a Lowes parking lot and asked me for money for gas to get home. She was dressed nicely and appeared to be alone. I thought about my daughter and thought that I would not want my daughter approaching strangers so I gave her $10 figuring she was just not being smart. When I gave her the money I told her to not let this happen again. She looked at me kind of condescendingly so I asked if she had any idea how dangerous this was. She asked with a little attitude What? What do you mean? I then got the feel ing that she was just pan handling so I gave her an intense stare and with a stern / creepy voice I told her that somebody could grab her, throw her in a trunk and nobody would ever hear from her again…

I hope the message took root. If it keeps her from approaching strangers for money (for whatever reason) it was worth the $10.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I get this at work all the time, I keep two stacks of chef boyardees in my truck in case of emergency and if someone is hungry I will give em a few cans of food and a few plastic spoons. No problem spending a few bucks to help out my fellow man, normally they say no thanks could i just get cash or i don't like that and i say im sorry thats all i have and they move on. I actually did have one guy come up to me before i started doing this and he told me he had a fight with his girlfriend and she tossed him out on the street a year ago. I being naive believed him and gave him 5 bucks to get himself something to eat and watched him walk into the store and buy smokes with it. If someone walks up to me and asks me for a smoke, I will toss em the remainder of my pack, might be half a pack or 2-3 smokes left, but I would rather buy a new pack of smokes than fumble trying to hand em one and get caught by surprise and robbed. I don't mind giving a smoke to someone who is honest about it, heck if someone came up and asked me for money to buy some mad dog , I am more likely to give em 6 bucks to buy their wine just because they are honest. More likely is still not very likely, but its more likely than a flat no. I keep food in the truck, will give someone some smokes, but will not hand anyone cash, no way. Good karma is coming your way op, I believe in helping out our fellow man with food, gas, or smokes as long as his intentions are honest and is genuinely in need. When someone just wants money, thats a no. I remember one time I was at work and a homeless guy came over to me to ask for money. I told him I had no money to hand out while on duty and then he asked me if I could just talk to him. He and I talked for about an hour through the fence and I gave him two stacks of chef boyardee, thats an example of someone who actually wanted to buy food. I find in most cases of people in need, they don't really want your money. Sometimes all they need is to be treated like a human being and you did that and helped him out. Kudos
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    You handled this very well. Great job with all of the awareness you displayed. It never even occurred to me to position myself side ways so that I would have a better view with peripheral vision.

It's ashame that we live in a world where we have to be on guard to help a person in need. Unfortunately sometimes the helper becomes a victim and this makes us leery. Kudos for you on taking a chance and deciding to help in spite of the potential dangers involved.

Grace & Peace,
    DCG

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Handing over a couple of cans of food is a clever idea to separate the hungey from the beer and smokes crowd. I'd never hand over cigs; don't need some jerk coming back and saying I caused his cancer. Think not? The tobacco companies never forced anyone to light up, all did so willingly. But the lawsuits are a-flying regardless.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    It never even occurred to me to position myself side ways so that I would have a better view with peripheral vision.
    I always consider that someone may be employing a distraction tactic. I knew there were several guys in this group hanging out at the van behind the gas station. The thought occurred to me that one could sneak around the front of my truck and catch me by surprise while the other distracted me (large trucks with camper shells your surrounding view is obstructed).

At a gas station, never leave the pump running by itself and go inside or do anything else. Never leave your keys in your car. Never leave your door open. I often carry two snub revolvers, one weak side and one strong side. Lets say you are at a coin car wash on one side of the vehicle and a person approaches from each side effectively trapping you in the middle. With two snubs, you can simultaneously defend yourself on two fronts if necessary. Now, this may be a low probability occurance, but it isn't inconceivable.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    At a gas station, never leave the pump running by itself and go inside or do anything else.
    Bugdude, other than the danger of the pump not shutting off and spilling a bunch of gas all over or someone stealing gas is there a defensive reason you suggest this? I can't think of any, so I am really interested if there is one since (wise or not) I do this a lot.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    Bugdude, other than the danger of the pump not shutting off and spilling a bunch of gas all over or someone stealing gas is there a defensive reason you suggest this? I can't think of any, so I am really interested if there is one since (wise or not) I do this a lot.
    Yes. There have been several issues as of late where someone left a pump unattended and someone drove up on the other side of the pump upon seeing it unattended and stole gas by either pumping it into their car or into a gas can. This just creates a possible confrontational situation. In my situation, I latched the gas pump momentarily to throw something into the trash can a few feet away. The guy started approaching when he could see the pump in my truck unattended not realizing I was only a few feet away for a few seconds (the truck obstructed his view of me). I wonder if I had gone in the store to get a drink if he would have just walked up and filled up his gas can he had in his hand. When I stepped back to the pump a few seconds later and resumed manual pumping I saw him aproaching and he then bumbed a couple gallons from me. I just try to avoid confrontational situations, which for me includes not creating a situation that would tempt someone to steal from me. Criminals are opportunists, and sometimes an otherwise honest person may be tempted when we make it easy for them.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I just try to avoid confrontational situations, which for me includes not creating a situation that would tempt someone to steal from me. Criminals are opportunists, and sometimes an otherwise honest person may be tempted when we make it easy for them.
    Great point, BugDude. I had thought about the possibility of people stealing gas from me, but hadn't thought about what would happen if I walked out of the store and caught them red-handed. Thanks for making me think about this a bit more.
    - Mike Tyson

Wow, you all are a bunch of saints! There is no right or wrong answer to this one but I am surprised that more people would not have told him to take a hike. I have helped people out many times before and I support charities. I just hate being approached by pan handlers / beggars. Suppose I will get lashed for this but why do I have to pay for a guy that does not want to work? This only reinforces unwanted behavior. In my skeptical mind I envision that guy getting twenty gallons of gas every couple of days in that manor. Also, I can see giving a guy a can of Ravioli and having him bust you upside the head with it. I would have told him "NO" . I am sure he hears it all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcruffler View Post
    Wow, you all are a bunch of saints! There is no right or wrong answer to this one but I am surprised that more people would not have told him to take a hike. I have helped people out many times before and I support charities. I just hate being approached by pan handlers / beggars. Suppose I will get lashed for this but why do I have to pay for a guy that does not want to work? This only reinforces unwanted behavior. In my skeptical mind I envision that guy getting twenty gallons of gas every couple of days in that manor. Also, I can see giving a guy a can of Ravioli and having him bust you upside the head with it. I would have told him "NO" . I am sure he hears it all day long.
    If you really have to ask why the people in this thread responded the way they did you just simply wouldn't understand the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcruffler View Post
    You're assuming that he was a "professional" beggar. There are some people that occasionally need help from a stranger, but aren't dead beats. It's the willingness to discern between the two that we're praising. Too many people just say, "if a guy asks for my help and I don't know him he can screw himself," instead of analyzing the particular situation.
    - Mike Tyson

I typically prefer to make charitable donations through organized means. Who knows, this guy may have suckered me and may do it to people every day. I'll never know. For a grand total of $7, I'm not going to worry about it. I saved much more than that by not having any drinks with dinner.

Very wise sounding response, op. I have been approached by panhandlers on a daily basis for a very long time, and I try to stick with the offer of food or help, not cash. No matter how you cut it, the way you handled that situation strikes me as smart.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links