Approached at gas station

This is a discussion on Approached at gas station within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Snider Very wise sounding response, op. I have been approached by panhandlers on a daily basis for a very long time, and ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Approached at gas station

Quote Originally Posted by Snider View Post
    Very wise sounding response, op. I have been approached by panhandlers on a daily basis for a very long time, and I try to stick with the offer of food or help, not cash. No matter how you cut it, the way you handled that situation strikes me as smart.
    Thank you. I must give credit to the wisdom I have garnered from the folks at this site regarding situational awareness, preparedness, and thinking steps ahead. Whether I got scammed for seven bucks or not is a judgement call that is too immaterial to me to matter. The money I'm saving quitting smoking and drinking is paying for my gun habit.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

I'll never give someone money, but I'm just not hard hearted enough yet that I wouldn't give someone a couple of gallons of gas. Plus you never know. He could've been an angel in disguise.

Quote Originally Posted by ugapug View Post
    Plus you never know. He could've been an angel in disguise.
    What would an angel need with gas?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nazshooter View Post

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Who is John Galt?

Since I drive an electric car, I am rarely at gas stations any more. But I have been approached several times by people asking for money or gas. I did buy somebody gas once, but as a general rule I never give people money. Most people who approach you asking for money have made a career out of it and they have a whole list of sob stories they can use. However, I'm very cautious of anyone approaching me. There a few "panhandlers" I recognize in my area and I'm not afraid of those people at all. Granted, I don't give them money, but I don't feel threatened by them. When a stranger approaches me, that is different. Very often crooks try to get people to let their guard down by asking for money, or the time, or a cigarette, etc. I've taken some martial arts classes and we've gone over a lot of the commonly used scenarios. Much of the information is very similar to what we talk about with carrying guns. That is, you learn how to not be taken by surprise and also present your demeanor in a way that lets the crook know that you are going to fight back. If he senses this is the case, he will walk away 99% of the time and wait for somebody easier.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Good on ya for a good deed, safely done. I can't say that I would have been as gracious.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    In the end it sounds like you did a good deed for someone and kept yourself safe! Sounds like a good days work to me.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

asking for something is like the interview, how you respond means a lot. the best thing to do is to maintain as much space between you as possible and in a strong way tell the guy to get lost.
    never break eye contact and be ready to escalate if you need to.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I went visiting a small town outside a big city a couple of weeks ago, and even there got approached by panhandlers claiming to be "homeless". Newly washed shirts put on that AM, clean pants, lightly dressed and not huddled up like they had been chilled the night before, no grass clippings on them, no wrinkles. A disgusted scowl and a quick "No" sent them on their way.

The person in the first post sounds legit. People who actually need seldom have the practice getting their story out as slick as the deadbeats, and are not comfortable asking for charity.

I think my preference would have been to have him put the can on the ground and back off.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    I think my preference would have been to have him put the can on the ground and back off.
    I had my back to my truck and he was to my left with the gas nozzle and the gas can between us and I told him to hold the can with both hands. I pumped with my left hand and had my right on my hip on my firearm. With the can on the ground, I would have had to bend down...a much more vulnerable position in many ways. The way it was, I had the nozzle and can between us, I could maintain visual with him and the surrounding area, and I was upright and ready, and I could easily pull the nozzle up and douse him with gas in less than a second if needed. Just my thoughts on how I approached it. I saw the van at the back of the store when I pulled in (I had to pull around to the other side), so I had some idea of the potential and wasn't surprised really to see him coming with a gas can. I had thought it out a tad.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Well, I may loose my man card over this but to hell with tactics and mall ninja Monday morning quarterbacking. Good job on the karma train. Thanks for reviving my faith in the human race. That guy may be the one who lends me a hand one day because he got treated right.
    Well done

Bravo BugDude! I don't think you could have handled that any better. You were aware of your surroundings and you took the opportunity to help someone in need. I agree with most of the comments in this thread, but I am more likely to hand over a few bucks if I have it. My wife has fussed at me telling me to keep a few bucks in my pocket so that I don't pull out my wallet. She is right, but I usually don't do that.

God Bless you OP for having a kind heart. Stay safe.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ugapug View Post
    ...Plus you never know. He could've been an angel in disguise.
    Quote Originally Posted by nazshooter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Who is John Galt?
    The angel I was thinking of was Don Cheadle's character 'Cash' from the movie, The Family Man.
    I'm not much of a reader.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links