Approached at gas station

This is a discussion on Approached at gas station within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was traveling out of state dealing with difficult family health issues. I was meeting a few family members to go out to eat ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Approached at gas station

Approached at gas station

So I was traveling out of state dealing with difficult family health issues. I was meeting a few family members to go out to eat and was alone in my truck desperately needing gas so I stopped. Towards the back of the station was what appeared to be an older van broke down with several people and a dog hanging around. I chose the pump the fartherest away knowing what would come next. I'm pumping and the pump is slower than Christmas. I look up and here comes a scragley young guy carrying a gas can and I knew what was coming. He wouldn't make eye contact on his way over so I positioned myself on the opposite side of the pump handle with my left hand on it and my right hand on my hip (close to my XD40sc IWB under my tacky Hawaiian shirt. He got within several feet and said, "Hey buddy, could you spare a gallon or two of gas?" Normally, I would have told him to back off and go elsewhere, but perhaps dealing with my family's issues I was in an unusual state. I said, "sure, keep both hands on the can" and I put 2 gallons in it never taking my eyes off of him and keeping my hand right above my .40 and also thinking about pulling the spout and dousing if he tried anything funny. He expressed extreme gratitude and said "God Bless You." Perhaps I was a sucker, but I at least tried to keep my position, hands, and a plan and directed him as to what he should do and paid ultra close attention to him and what was going on. My door was shut, my keys in my pocket, so I wasn't closed in. The spout and his gas can was between us and my eyes peeled. I was also positioned sideways to keep peripherial vision around and behind me.

It was a non-event and I hate going to larger towns where people bumb with no shame whatsoever (including other extended family members while I was there dealing with everything else...which ended up bumbing $400 from me after cornering me at Easter dinner and telling me about getting kicked out of her house and her truck broke down, yada, yada, yada). Gee, me and my wife had surgeries a month ago and we're dealing with her parents health issues and my parents health issues and this family member has been all over me for weeks for money to fix her truck. I must have sucker written all over my face.

In any event, it wasn't an event, but reading the threads here made me think about position, actions and readiness. If a couple gallons of gas got them farther out of our family's home town maybe it will save one of them from having to deal with them.
    RMS, RemMod597, garyacman and 3 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Well, I may loose my man card over this but to hell with tactics and mall ninja Monday morning quarterbacking. Good job on the karma train. Thanks for reviving my faith in the human race. That guy may be the one who lends me a hand one day because he got treated right.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    I also approve of helping a fellow motorist on the road. Sometimes the comments here are so heartless and cruel, they make me despair for our future. Then a post like this and I have hope for another day. Sure, I'd have done the same thing.

Big props for being aware and in control of the situation. That's what we train for.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Well, I may loose my man card over this but to hell with tactics and mall ninja Monday morning quarterbacking. Good job on the karma train. Thanks for reviving my faith in the human race. That guy may be the one who lends me a hand one day because he got treated right.
    Maybe. I was in Hickory, NC, and the town has changed a ton since I lived in that area. I prefer to support people and causes in a more structured manner through donations to organized charities, childrens' homes, churches, hope funds at work, etc. but sometimes it is a gut call. The family member deal she is definitely in a super tight spot and there was no one else in a position to help or that she hasn't already worn out her bumbing. She says she'll pay it back, but I do not expect to see it again. Oh well, one less gun to buy but I don't need anymore. I actually went to Advance and paid for the parts with my credit card and I kept the receipt so they can't return the parts for money for drugs. Not a big market for that year, make, model, and list of parts so it's a legit use of the funds. I just hate being put in a spot like that. My wife and I have incurred multiple thousands of dollars in medical bills, heat pump issue, dental crown, etc. in the last few months but relatively speaking the family member has nothing...not even a place to live for now other than staying with other family members in the area. Maybe it will get her on the right track...maybe not. I did all I could do and the rest is up to her.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Good job, all around.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Glad everything worked out well.

Nice to know that there are still people that listen to their heart.
    gilraen likes this.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Good job, seems that every family has one, just can't find their way!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

ain't nothing wrong with helping out your fellow man or relative. I try to do it every chance i get. I've been pretty lucky in life and sometimes that's the only difference in me and the person I'm helping.
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

VIP Member
    I totally agree with how you handled it.

First off for 8 bucks of gas you maybe avoided a big fight and lots of expensive legal trouble.

Second, you don't know, you might have actually done a really good kind act.

Third, good positioning and awareness.

I've turned a couple of people down in similar circumstances and then regretted it wondering if they were really in need. I'm still beating myself up about one guy who wanted money for food.

You have no way to know, but chalk one up in your good act column and be proud of yourself.
    RemMod597 and First Sgt like this.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Some cases are different.You did a good deed and watched your back.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    Nice story. And nice you could carry out of state, too, just in case. I would have pumped him some gas, too.

Good job. You handled it well. At least he came with a gas can instead of asking for money like others have come up to me and done. There is one Pilot at an exit in Corbin, KY where people like this have made a hangout. I have been approached there 3 times. Always the same story.
    I must have more 1911's. Someone donate me a Springfield EMP.

All's well that ends well

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I say sometimes you need to help your fellow man and not worry about "tactical advantage". You are blessed enough to be able to lend $400 and a couple gallons of gas, to me that is something to be thankful for. I'd rather be the one giving the spare gallons of gas than having to ask for them. I know the Bible doesn't specifically say "give a gallon of gas in Jesus name" but the sentiment is the same. More people like you would make this world a better place.
    RMS, scgunlover1, oneshot and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    Sometimes there are people who really need the help. The tough part is being able to sense the difference.
    Ghettokracker71, mel, TVJ and 3 others like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links