My encounter with the local sheriffs

This is a discussion on My encounter with the local sheriffs within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; time for a new sheriff...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My encounter with the local sheriffs

time for a new sheriff

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Moved thread from Bob and Terry's forum
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    This is SOOOOO not something that is covered by a "my bad guys, sorry to interrupt your evening" Armed men in body armor just pulled you out of your home at gunpoint, unacceptable! I would be calling the media, the DA, the Sheriff, the State Police, and my lawyers office to begin filing a lawsuit. This is unacceptable.
    TVJ likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    This definitely deserves a follow-up with the sheriff. If you can help identify mistakes that were made, you might save someone elses life in the future. Letting the situation die down with only an apology is too little. Some one messed up and it needs to be investigated if for no other reason than to prevent future mishaps.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    This definitely deserves a follow-up with the sheriff. If you can help identify mistakes that were made, you might save someone elses life in the future. Letting the situation die down with only an apology is too little. Some one messed up and it needs to be investigated if for no other reason than to prevent future mishaps.
    VERY GOOD POINT!!! Next time the wrong person could get hurt...

So they got a tip from a scumbag informant and with no additional intel they mount an armed assault on a residence!?!?!?!?!?!

If the OP hadn't seen the outside deputy and had grabbed his weapon, his brains would likely be all over the bathroom wall.

I'll bet his fiancée never feels secure in their new home, can not enjoy being at home, jumps at every little sound outside, wakes in the middle of the night, and within 5 years they are looking for a new home. I know a couple that had a real attempted break in, that was course of events for them and this sounds like it could leave behind the same trauma.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    First off, and no knock on the OP at all, I don't think this belongs in Bob and Terry's Place and respectfully suggest the moderators move it.

With that out of the way, assault with a deadly weapons is assault with a deadly weapon. There is NO excuse. There's no excuse for what was done.

You guys have suffered serious emotional damage which will stay with you for the rest of your lives. Don't let them off the hook with silly stuff like, "they apologized," and "they acted professionally." No, if they acted professionally they would have verified the information and not pointed loaded guns at innocent people. Apologies are important, but some things just don't go away because an apology was issued.

Seriously, see a lawyer.

You almost got killed in your own house because someone screwed up and a whole bunch of people acted like undisciplined lunatics. No one in their own home should ever be subjected to what you were subjected. Even really bad guys can be taken in much less dramatic fashion. See the thread running elsewhere about the assault on a Florida District Judge. These undisciplined rogue tactics are becoming more and more common and sadly, making them pay is the only way to get attention of the Chiefs.

If the events happened as described here, make sure the local newspaper hears about it as well.

I know there are a handful of LEOs here who will call me a cop hater for writing as I did. Sorry guys, you are so far off the mark you can't imagine. I do however detest utter stupidity when it endangers innocent lives.
    I agree. I'm sorry but as a law abiding citizen in MY OWN HOME there is no call for such tactics. This just reinforced what I said in another thread about some Leos. They could have surrounded the house and not pointed guns at anyone, they could have knocked, asked if xyz was there and then permission to check, explaining why they were there. Instead they decided to assault you in your own home. Mysel, I would have taken names or car numbers and sending a strongly worded letter to the chief or sheriff and calling my attorney.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Let me add the fact that now your new neighbours are going to always wonder what is going on at your house and never really trust you. Your reputation is now tarnished.

Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

First off, and no knock on the OP at all, I don't think this belongs in Bob and Terry's Place and respectfully suggest the moderators move it.

With that out of the way, assault with a deadly weapons is assault with a deadly weapon. There is NO excuse. There's no excuse for what was done.

You guys have suffered serious emotional damage which will stay with you for the rest of your lives. Don't let them off the hook with silly stuff like, "they apologized," and "they acted professionally." No, if they acted professionally they would have verified the information and not pointed loaded guns at innocent people. Apologies are important, but some things just don't go away because an apology was issued.

Seriously, see a lawyer.

You almost got killed in your own house because someone screwed up and a whole bunch of people acted like undisciplined lunatics. No one in their own home should ever be subjected to what you were subjected. Even really bad guys can be taken in much less dramatic fashion. See the thread running elsewhere about the assault on a Florida District Judge. These undisciplined rogue tactics are becoming more and more common and sadly, making them pay is the only way to get attention of the Chiefs.

If the events happened as described here, make sure the local newspaper hears about it as well.

I know there are a handful of LEOs here who will call me a cop hater for writing as I did. Sorry guys, you are so far off the mark you can't imagine. I do however detest utter stupidity when it endangers innocent lives.
    +1. My other concern with this mess is what about someone like me who has a dog that IS PROTECTIVE and known in many states as a "dangerous" breed? Are they going to afford me the time to lock the dog up before they come barging in the door...I'm guessing that's a big no. So what happens when they come through the door and the dog does what the dog is supposed to do? Oh right...there was that mayor and his dogs...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Seriously, see a lawyer.

Hopyard, its not ofter that I agree with you, but you hit the nail on the head. This is complete BS. To the OP follow this advise.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Not good. I assume if You were painting your new place there would be no shades and lights would be on so they could have looked in and saw You painting and working away. You need Your firearm on You. Is this a bad neghiborhood ?. Glad Your alive.

I would have been dead..... Loud knock and the words man with a gun con red finger on the trigger.

Distinguished Member
    Hey, maybe you're OK with getting proned out in front of your house with a shotgun in your spine for no good reason, but most of us here are not.

(and no, "because that guy said so" is not a good reason)

The police need to do their jobs and not violate peoples right, if suing them teaches them that then so be it.

Xader and Hopyard like this.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I seriously hope you were kidding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links