My encounter with the local sheriffs

This is a discussion on My encounter with the local sheriffs within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I'm posting this just a few hours after this happened. I'm still a little shook up, but calming down. My fiancée and I were ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My encounter with the local sheriffs

My encounter with the local sheriffs

So, I'm posting this just a few hours after this happened. I'm still a little shook up, but calming down.

My fiancée and I were just held at gunpoint by the local sheriff's department.

We were at our new house doing some painting trying to get it ready to move in by the end of May. When there was a loud and aggressive knock on the front door. Before opening the door, I was going to pick up my LCR which was in the bathroom one room away from where I was painting. As I step into the bathroom to pick up the gun, two things happen simultaneously.

1. I hear my fiance scream "There's guys with guns at the door!"
    2. I am looking down the barrel of a 12 gauge shotgun outside the window of the bathroom.

As soon as I saw the shotgun, my mind did two things. I realized just how big the wrong end of a 12 gauge is, and I looked behind it to see a sheriff's deputy holding it.

I was instantly terrified to see a man holding a gun pointed at my face and relieved that it was a sheriff and not a random criminal. At that moment they all start screaming at us to open the door now and come out with our hands up. Obviously, I didn't pick up the pistol. I put my hands up where he could see them through the window and slowly made my way to the front door.

By this time my fiance was almost hysterical in tears just standing in the front entryway with a sheriff pointing a shotgun at her through the window in the front door. I carefully opened the front door and was ordered down on the ground on my front sidewalk and held at gunpoint while they cleared my house and questioned me.

By the end of the single most stressful conversation of my life I had succeeded in convincing the officers that I was not harboring an armed and dangerous drug dealer and they had gotten a bad tip from their informant.

After it was all sorted out they were fumbling over themselves trying to apologize, and I'm sitting here trying to calm down and go to bed. All in all, I don't fault them for how they conducted themselves, they were apologetic and professional. I do wish they had done a little better research and preparation before holding me facedown with shotguns pointed at my back.

2. Remove Ads

Sorry to hear about that experience, I agree with you on the better research. At least they were apologetic about the incident which is refreshing change. Time for a good drink.

Did they have a warrant? And if so, did they show it to you?
    TVJ likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Wow I can imagine the high stress environment you were in with shotguns at your back! But at least they were apologetic and I agree with the above did they show you a warrant at any point?

Might be a good time to have a heart-to-heart chat with your DA and Sheriff. I'm not suggesting a lawsuit, I'm saying they got it wrong and need to adopt processes/procedures to keep that from happening again. If you had made a sudden move to grab the handkerchief in your back pocket, we might be addressing these comments to your widow (and her attorney).
    TVJ likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    That was going to be my question.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Just because some crackhead gives them a tip about some dealer at an address,they still have to followup with some documentation and get a warrant to search.I'd be calling the Sheriff and raising hell at being taken down at gunpoint in my own home.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

sgb
    this is becoming a unsettling though common occurrence, what's odd is that they actually apologized
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Honestly, in the stress of the moment I was just glad to still be alive and didn't ask about a warrant, but they wouldn't have needed one by the time it was over because the first thing my fiancee screamed when they told her who they were looking for was "OH MY GOD IS HE IN THERE NOW?! CHECK THE HOUSE!"

She was hysterical and scared, so I don't blame her, but it probably makes the warrant issue null and void.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    this is becoming a unsettling though common occurrence, what's odd is that they actually apologized
    I got the impression that one of the deputies had a daughter about the same age as my fiance and he was visibly shaken by bringing her out at gunpoint and her reaction to it. If it had been me alone (6'5" 225 lbs unshaven and in dirty work clothes) I bet it would have gone very differently with a LOT fewer apologies.

Ditto? Same question.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member
    First off, and no knock on the OP at all, I don't think this belongs in Bob and Terry's Place and respectfully suggest the moderators move it.

With that out of the way, assault with a deadly weapons is assault with a deadly weapon. There is NO excuse. There's no excuse for what was done.

You guys have suffered serious emotional damage which will stay with you for the rest of your lives. Don't let them off the hook with silly stuff like, "they apologized," and "they acted professionally." No, if they acted professionally they would have verified the information and not pointed loaded guns at innocent people. Apologies are important, but some things just don't go away because an apology was issued.

Seriously, see a lawyer.

You almost got killed in your own house because someone screwed up and a whole bunch of people acted like undisciplined lunatics. No one in their own home should ever be subjected to what you were subjected. Even really bad guys can be taken in much less dramatic fashion. See the thread running elsewhere about the assault on a Florida District Judge. These undisciplined rogue tactics are becoming more and more common and sadly, making them pay is the only way to get attention of the Chiefs.

If the events happened as described here, make sure the local newspaper hears about it as well.

I know there are a handful of LEOs here who will call me a cop hater for writing as I did. Sorry guys, you are so far off the mark you can't imagine. I do however detest utter stupidity when it endangers innocent lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    First off, and no knock on the OP at all, I don't think this belongs in Bob and Terry's Place and respectfully suggest the moderators move it.

With that out of the way, assault with a deadly weapons is assault with a deadly weapon. There is NO excuse. There's no excuse for what was done.

You guys have suffered serious emotional damage which will stay with you for the rest of your lives. Don't let them off the hook with silly stuff like, "they apologized," and "they acted professionally." No, if they acted professionally they would have verified the information and not pointed loaded guns at innocent people. Apologies are important, but some things just don't go away because an apology was issued.

Seriously, see a lawyer.

You almost got killed in your own house because someone screwed up and a whole bunch of people acted like undisciplined lunatics. No one in their own home should ever be subjected to what you were subjected. Even really bad guys can be taken in much less dramatic fashion. See the thread running elsewhere about the assault on a Florida District Judge. These undisciplined rogue tactics are becoming more and more common and sadly, making them pay is the only way to get attention of the Chiefs.

If the events happened as described here, make sure the local newspaper hears about it as well.

I know there are a handful of LEOs here who will call me a cop hater for writing as I did. Sorry guys, you are so far off the mark you can't imagine. I do however detest utter stupidity when it endangers innocent lives.
    I agree; if the time had been few seconds later and you had that gun in your hand the wrong end of that shot gun would have been the last thing you ever saw; because a group of cow boys failed to do the part of thier job that is not so fun (getting the facts straight before charging off)............

At least they apologized and acted civil, however does anyone see a problem in this country when an "informant" who most likely has a rap sheet him or herself can give information and that is enough to justify a tac team to come to your home and point weapons at you and drag you outside.... even if you are completely innocent? The conditioning of the sheep that this is OK for your own safety and the safety of the community is ridiculous. This is NEVER OK, however judges sign these warrants all day long, some without even looking at them, just going on the detectives word. Was any surveillance done? probably not. Simply informant info, a signed warrant (was there even one) and weapons pointed at honest taxpaying, law abiding, American Citizens. Where in anyone's fantasy world is this OK?

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    At least they apologized and acted civil, however does anyone see a problem in this country when an "informant" who most likely has a rap sheet him or herself can give information and that is enough to justify a tac team to come to your home and point weapons at you and drag you outside.... even if you are completely innocent? The conditioning of the sheep that this is OK for your own safety and the safety of the community is ridiculous. This is NEVER OK, however judges sign these warrants all day long, some without even looking at them, just going on the detectives word. Was any surveillance done? probably not. Simply informant info, a signed warrant (was there even one) and weapons pointed at honest taxpaying, law abiding, American Citizens. Where in anyone's fantasy world is this OK?
    Not OK no way no how total BS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links