Why I'm getting a Permit to Carry

This is a discussion on Why I'm getting a Permit to Carry within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This isn't the first gas station in the area to get robbed, last time it was across the street from where I live. this one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Why I'm getting a Permit to Carry

This isn't the first gas station in the area to get robbed, last time it was across the street from where I live. this one is halfway across town.

cliff notes: three guys with guns, hold up store and customer

what would you do?

Robbery at St. Cloud gas station reported | St. Cloud TIMES | sctimes.com

St. Cloud police are searching for three men who robbed a SuperAmerica convenience store at gunpoint Friday night.

Police were called to 1220-32nd Ave. N at 10:15 p.m. after a customer and the store were robbed. According to a police report, three men dressed in black clothing and face masks came into the store brandishing handguns.

One of the suspects pointed a gun at the employee and demanded he open the cash register. The man then took an undetermined amount cash.

A second suspect put a customer on the ground and stole his wallet and cellphone.

The trio left the scene on foot, headed south.

Police could not provide a complete description of the men.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

2. Remove Ads

These skells aren't operating alone w/ a little .38 anymore. It is much more difficult to engage multiple armed assailants. Greater chance of getting hit even if you stop 1 or 2 of them. Hard to call. If you have to do something, take cover first. Be proficient w/ whatever you carry and have a reload or two.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Not being in a convenience store (a.k.a. stop and rob) at 10:30 at night is the first huge step in not being victimized. There's no slurpee I need that bad.

I don't consider myself a wuss, but I do plan my activities by staying away from stupid places at stupid times. NY27 hit the nail on the head. It's not hard to wind up in situations where you are outgunned and outmanned. Knowing your limitations and working within the odds are some good civilian street survival prescriptions.
    Last edited by Chad Rogers; May 1st, 2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

Hopefully the stolen wallet and phone will be used so that police can trace them. Nabbing one crook very often leads to his partners, whether he "rats" on them or not.

These days simply existing in peace at home is good enough reason. There's really no need to substantiate your claim to carry by looking at outside sources. Survival is rather simple, and there are no excuses.

"Stop n Robs" are not my favorite place to be late at night, but I end up being in one at least once a week due to my work. There have been a few times I have lulled in and lulled right back out because things didn't look/feel right.
    Thankfully I am allowed to carry while working. The day they decide I can't, is the day I quit.

Stay safe,
    Tracy
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I hope you plan on getting some training to go with the license,1GG 1 gun against 3bg 3 guns,if they put you on the floor theres a good chance they may discover your gun,I would much rather my gun perforate BG's and not perforate me.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I hope you plan on getting some training to go with the license.
    absolutely, its just a matter of finding the time and $$ (mostly the time).
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Make sure that you also learn that the permit doesn't make "no win" situations impossible. Neither is a concealed gun a magic talisman that ensures you win every encounter.

A concealed handgun can be as much a detriment as it can be a benefit.

VIP Member
    Why do you need a gun Oddjob? Don't you already have that sharpened, throwing, killer hat thing?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I carry because my job takes me to every corner of a large metro area. I train all the time, get in at least a little draw/dry fire every day. I keep up my martial art skills as much as I can not being in a school right now. But as folks above mentioned, nothing beats staying out of trouble spots when at all possible. Even totally justified use of a legally carried handgun can dog you for a long time.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    He got tired of cutting himself when he tried to adjust his bladed hat
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Thank you Chad Rogers: lt is alll about situational awareness and knowing where to go and when to go. I guess some of our members have no other choice but in 69 years I have NEVER come close to anything remotely close to a need for a firearm. Maybe I am just lucky but I prefer to think I am always thinking ahead; I can only think of two things I do in my life that "bothers" me with regards to situational awareness and they are 1)going to dinner at night and having to retrieve my car at night and 2) not being able to do anything to remove a fascist government in the US

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Why do you need a gun Oddjob? Don't you already have that sharpened, throwing, killer hat thing?
    You mean the flying guillotine from the Saturday morning Kung Fu flicks?
    One more step and it's on!

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Thank you Chad Rogers: lt is alll about situational awareness and knowing where to go and when to go. I guess some of our members have no other choice but in 69 years I have NEVER come close to anything remotely close to a need for a firearm. Maybe I am just lucky but I prefer to think I am always thinking ahead; I can only think of two things I do in my life that "bothers" me with regards to situational awareness and they are 1)going to dinner at night and having to retrieve my car at night and 2) not being able to do anything to remove a fascist government in the US
    I like Kelly McCann's philosophy (paraphrased): 'If there's someplace you would not go without a gun, then don't go there with one either.'
    bunker likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links