Yesterday Car Situation

This is a discussion on Yesterday Car Situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two of my 3 vehicles are 60s Bugs. When not driving one of them, I drive a 4 door 4x4 Chevy with camper shell. I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Yesterday Car Situation

Two of my 3 vehicles are 60s Bugs. When not driving one of them, I drive a 4 door 4x4 Chevy with camper shell. I will not be ramming people with my VWs, but they best not be beating on them either. I go from happy hippy to "bang, bang, thump, 'stop'" in 1.2 seconds.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    I'm disillusioned now BugDude. It has all been a lie. A dirty, rotten, lie.

On your other point, the other driver's car was in the lane to his left; not behind him.
    I may have had to perform a 9 point road turn, but that wouldn't have stopped me....
    RevolvingMag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    First, as others have said, I'm glad to hear you weren't hurt. Second, can you give us some more details? What time of day or night was it? How long did this encounter last (I know it probably seemed like forever, but give your best guess)?

Overall, given the circumstances, I think you did pretty well; especially if the encounter only lasted a few seconds. It's easy for us to sit here in the comfort of our homes and say what we would have done differently, but I know I have never been in a similar situation so I won't pretend to know how I would have reacted in the short time I imagine this took place.

I will have to think about how I would handle this, though. Food for thought.

Welcome to the forum and, again, I'm glad you weren't hurt.
    Time of day was 5:00 pm and time seemed like forever of course. The actual time of the event was from light turning red to him immediately coming to my window. Light could have lasted a little over a minute or so, if was not a major intersection so that was good news. I did lay on my horn and the guy just kept going, and the car in-front of me just stayed there.

All i know now is good for future experience and I am glad he did not get through the window.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Two of my 3 vehicles are 60s Bugs. When not driving one of them, I drive a 4 door 4x4 Chevy with camper shell. I will not be ramming people with my VWs, but they best not be beating on them either. I go from happy hippy to "bang, bang, thump, 'stop'" in 1.2 seconds.
    I take it all back. Those are SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I especially like Ruby.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

RKM
    I would have revved up to my ignition cut and dumped the clutch, spewing chunks of rubber dust and smoke as I do a 4 wheel burnout the heck outta there. Hahahha, nah, but I would have just drove off, red light or not, if I was first in line. I wouldn't draw unless he broke the window or was successful in dragging me out of the car. Even so, I may just fight back with fists if no weapon was present.

Thanks...I've free hand painted everything on her...including the Hendrix Monterey Pop Festival guitar. Homemade seat covers made of Mexican saltillo blankets and homemade wooden door panels with old tin signs mounted on them as inserts. I've still got a long way to go, but all I've got is time and paint and a head full of ideas.
    RevolvingMag likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I have a '73 Super Beetle that I need to restore. Know anywhere I can get a good fan shroud and alternator from? (Yes, alternator- it was converted years ago and I think it was done by the dealer or a VW mechanic.)

And, those are both absolutely beautiful; I like the white one for being clean and 'polished', but I think I like Ruby's personality better.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    First, if able i would have ran the red light after he got out of his car.

Second, if I was blocked in I would have done exactly as you did...nothing.

Lastly, if he had broken a window I'd have drilled him.
    Ditto, everyone should check the local laws, here in Oklahoma the right to defend one's life at home street corners, business place(owners) and vehicle is protected by the law
    Go with the glow

Doesn't Arizona have the Castle Doctrine in place? If so, your car is your "home" and you have no obligation to retreat (had you had your gun). If he breaks the window, that is justification for use of force.

While this BG doesn't have a firearm...he certainly has weapons--hands, head, teeth...etc. If the OP's situation was like mine, trapped in between cars, with nowhere to go, then you are stuck. There is no fighting "fair" from a seated position--the BG has the leverage--you as the driver DO NOT...you're trying to fight someone 90 degrees to your left (often your weak-side)...there NO WAY to defend yourself hand-to-hand.

Pepper spray? In an enclosed environment? You're gassing yourself at this point...

I say, draw, command--if he proceeds to break through your window, lean right, point shoot COM, scan, breath, re-assess, call 911

If he doesn't break through--call 911, move to another location to meet LEOs.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I'm not sure that you can shoot the guy if he is unarmed!!! If he breaks through the glass and assaults you...well then it could possibly be a carjacking and how are you not to believe this...if you shot the guy. There would have been witnesses I'm assuming. Personally, tkruf got it right. You should always have a small canister of pepper spray (I keep it on the sun-visor) in your car. I keep my driver's window cracked about 1/2 in-enough to let air in and would mace the BG. Keep in mind if your glass is partially down-and not fully up as in your case-and the BG beats on it, the top is weak point and might break if he bends it inward enough or hits it with keys or something. Always when coming up in traffic, leave about a car length between the other vehicles. You should be able to clearly "see" the rear end differential axle of the car in front. This gives you enough reaction time and distance to turn left/right and go around it if in danger, the car in front reverses/rams you or a car tries to rear-end you. If you spin the wheel hard and floor it, it should be just enough wiggle room to get by and out of there. I don't like to get "boxed in" inside those middle lanes and if approaching a stop, try to get either left or far right where there is an open lane. You got lucky. Had this happen once when picked a friend up at a bad location-a BG followed him out and proceeded to try and beat my side glasses so hard they bowed inward on the old 79 Chevy. Luckily for me he had played rock, paper, sissors before and really backed up when the claw hammer came out-just enough room to hop in and scoot out of there. Even if they are the aggressor, not a good idea to get involved with a crazy BG like this. He might pull a knife, a gun or whatever. Working bar clubs as a bouncer you honestly wouldn't believe the size of some knives a person can hide on their body. Obviously he has mistaken you for someone else. This thing happened to my cousin once and the guy was lucky enough to grab his shirtfront, but unlucky in respect that a 72 Cadillac Coup Deville has very strong window motors. He rolled the BG up, drove him running out to the highway and while making the right turn, rolled the window down...rolled the guy all the way across the intersection. Unfortunately for him cuz has a temper. Authority figures next day sorted it out and he realized cuz was the wrong person and could have probably killed him....and that was at the high school...

VIP Member
    Good advice so far. Another motorist may have called the police about this incident and gave them the ragers plate number, did you report this? How about taking a picture of him (in action) with your cell phone?

This thread made me think about this you tube from the past. (language)

YouTube - Road Rage Knock Out Punch
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

i'm not sure when you could catch me w/o my gun(s) but, had this been me i'm dumb enough to get out of my truck and slap him around a bit, don't mess with my dog, wife, kids or my truck

I would have been calling 911 as soon as he started beating on my vehicle and at the same time unholstering my 1911,even tho the OP doesn't carry 24/7 I do except where it is Illegal for me to do so,I will never be able to tell when I may or may not need a firearm.IIRC Arizona passed a law that allows you to carry without a license.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Anywhere, at any time.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links