Yesterday Car Situation

This is a discussion on Yesterday Car Situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by md360 Thanks for the replies. As far as the situation goes, I was blocked in at the light with no were to ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Yesterday Car Situation

Quote Originally Posted by md360 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. As far as the situation goes, I was blocked in at the light with no were to go.
    In my car, I always stop far enough behind so that I can see the rear tires of the car ahead of me touching the road. That way I know I have room to get out.

Otherwise, you did well enough to be here posting. That's a win in my book.

2. Remove Ads

I won't add to the advice already given but I will say that the guy must have been a total fool or completely crazy to pull a stunt like that. What he did is a good way to get himself shot in these times, in Arizona or most any other place.

here in Kansas, the castle doctrine extends to "anyone illegally entering into a vehicle while occupied". It would not be a smart move . However, I"ve had the same thing happen to me a couple of times.... and never figured out why they went off.

One of them kept following me and repeating it at every intersection...... until at one turn off it was dead end and I swung around and had him trapped..... and police pulled up and arrested him.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Two of my 3 vehicles are 60s Bugs.
    Ironically, I still have a roof rack and snow chains, in perfect condition I used on a 72 bug ... and no VW's.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Ironically, I still have a roof rack and snow chains, in perfect condition I used on a 72 bug ... and no VW's.
    PM sent. I sold a '64 Karmann-Ghia a year or so ago (it was a basket case) and kept one part...the long goose neck fender mounted side view mirror. It's the Original German make and worth about $250 in just OK condition. I need to get that thing listed on some of the VW sites soon and use that money towards my next gun purchase!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    RKM:I'm assuming "ignition cut" is a reference to "anti-lag" or "2-step" launch control-thats awesome.

BUGDUDE-love the bugs! Are they 1600s?Dual ports? I've always wanted a classic vw.

This reminds me of something I witnessed back when I was 18 and working retail at a local mall, so it was off of a 4 lane road with lots of intersections and etc,45mph speed limit....we all got off work (about 7:30pm) and left at the same time, this kid I worked with was about 6' 4" or so, big into sports/real athletic and cocky...we get on the main road and a truck cut him off almost hitting his car, he flipped the driver of the truck off, of course the next light is red so they pull up next to each other flipping the bird,and etc,(I"m right behind them in my car!) next thing I know ,my co-worker jumped out of his mustang, whipped out a expandable baton and yelled "I"M GONNA KILL YOU _______" and as he walked towards the truck, the guy ran the redlight and took off as fast as he could,.....

Sorry,back on topic-my dad always told me to leave some room in between vehicles if your not the first at the light. Unfortunately I am not always good at remebering this, but I try to do so anyway. If I had left some room in front of the cars and I was unarmed, I might just start pulling forwards&backwards to evade him from being able to hit on my car. I really want to pick up some of those extra large OC sprays, and keep one in both my cars for cases like this. If I was first at the light I'd probable run it. My daily driver can run has outran a Viper SRT10 at the track, so I'm not lying when I say I can outrun most cars on the street if I have to (Which, if they persued me I would just proceed to the nearest police station.)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Might pay to remind all that windshields crack and can fail but have plastic laminate so entry through a front glass would be VERY difficult. Side and rear glass will shatter into a million little pieces with a single well placed hit. . My response: I see weird aggressive behaviour and my EDC is ready but down. Beat on my winshield EDC is ready and up . Beat on side/rear glass,,,, wait for the shatter and EDC goes to work.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

Crazy stuff! Glad you are safe and sound, if a bit shocked.

I knew a kid a few years ago who took a shroom that was laced with pcp, and managed to put a steak knife through a passenger side patrol car window while the officer in the cruiser fired at him through the windshield. It made no sense to me tht he was able to break the glass with a knife, but apparently he did, and in his state the plastic and glass mess was nothing to shove his arm through in a heartbeat.

I will never assume that any person irrational enough to assault my vehicle by hand is anything less than superhumanly strong and hopped up on pcp just like that kid. I would draw as soon as his hand hit my vehicle, and keep it trained until glass broke and any appendage entered. There isn't much time to spare at that point.

Being literally pinned into traffic in a normal automobile is a scary thing, I know my normal 4 door cars can't hop curbs or climb a berm. You might as well be in a locked phone booth at that point, for all the options you have.

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me once. Car glass is tough stuff and fists alone usually won't hurt it. Fortunately, I had an open shoulder to the right of me. I checked to make sure it was clear, cranked the wheel, and got out of there. Since the aggressor was out of his car, I had sufficient lead time to make a clean getaway. It didn't seem very satisfying at the time, but in retrospect it was by far the best thing to do. When adrenaline is dumped into your bloodstream, you just don't think about getting plate numbers or calling 911. All you think about is survival.

Even if you are armed, quite often, the vehicle itself will be your greatest asset in a fight-or-flight situation. If fight is the only option, no handgun can deliver more energy than a car and we all get more wheel time than trigger time, though of course the car is a lot harder to maneuver and aim.

In the situation described by the OP, waiting to see if the glass holds and driving away ASAP was the right call. If the assailant comes up with a blunt instrument and the glass starts breaking, it's time to think about using the car as a weapon, even if it means some property damage to surrounding vehicles. It's an option if you're in real fear of your life.

It sounds like you and your car came out OK, so I'd call that a win. But I'd also call that incident a good reason to carry your gun more often. Even if you had it, it may not have been the best idea to employ it in that situation, but it's better to have the option.

Another reason to carry your gun more often is that the guy could have gotten your license plate number, and might have a way to look up your address.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    BUGDUDE-love the bugs! Are they 1600s?Dual ports? I've always wanted a classic vw.
    Both are 1600cc single ports, 12 volt conversion, Herbie has electronic ignition. Both still have original style oil bath air breathers and look bone stock. I've seen 90mph out of Herbie ('68 tranny) and the Flower Power ride has the original tranny and jumps out of the gate like a rocket. Both are fun to drive!!!

I have now been carrying my M&P on me daily and will be buying a new compact gun dedicated to the car. I appreciate all the advise from everyone.

I don't know what i'd done.If i thought he was causing cosmetic damage.I probably would have lowered the window and shouted hit my m#&%*n car again whilst the laser from my G37 or G30 danced on his chest.Don't know that i'd have actually shot him if he did.But i woulda laid out the bluf.Stupid i know,just being honest.Anything to stop any damage to my baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Walk Soft View Post
    I don't know what i'd done.If i thought he was causing cosmetic damage.I probably would have lowered the window and shouted hit my m#&%*n car again whilst the laser from my G37 or G30 danced on his chest.Don't know that i'd have actually shot him if he did.But i woulda laid out the bluf.Stupid i know,just being honest.Anything to stop any damage to my baby.
    Never bluff with a firearm. If he had been packing a CCW, at the point you're putting the laser on his chest he would have the right to defend himself with lethal force. Granted he instigated, escalated, etc. but I'm just saying...what makes you think you're the only person with a handgun?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links