Yesterday Car Situation

This is a discussion on Yesterday Car Situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I am new to the forum but have lerked for a while. I had a situation yesterday that has pushed me over the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Yesterday Car Situation

Yesterday Car Situation

Hey guys I am new to the forum but have lerked for a while. I had a situation yesterday that has pushed me over the edge on my CCW here is AZ.

Situation:
    Yesterday I was driving down the road here is phoenix yesterday and had a car behind me that drove next me, then behind me and back again to the side again. We came to a red light and the driver got out of the car and started beating my driver windshield, yelling he was going to F me up (ect) and yanking my door handle. The car was locked and all the other cars around just stared. I did nothing to provoke this attack (cut him off, change lanes, nothing!), and luckly my window didn't break. Since I live in AZ and we are allowed CC in the open I normally have a gun in my car, but didn't yesterday as I hadn't put it back after vacation. I was able to drive off safely but am now going for my CCW class next week and will be carrying full time.

My question is what would you have done? What if the glass would have broken?

This has left me a little rattled and just want some thoughts on what you would have done.

Thanks for the advice and opinions.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    First, if able i would have ran the red light after he got out of his car.

Second, if I was blocked in I would have done exactly as you did...nothing.

Lastly, if he had broken a window I'd have drilled him.
    Chevyguy85, gatech33 and Bkrazy like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I would have driven off if possible, as this is the best course of action (while calling 911).
    If I had been stuck in traffic and the window had been broken in? There could possibly have been a loud boom with a bright flash right after the glass was broken.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Drive off if possible and call 911. If he tries to block your movement with his body, he'd be a speed bump in the road. If the glass breaks......well he started the dance, I guess I'd have to finish it.
    357SP101 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Firstly, glad your all right. Second, just what the folks above said. Also, if I may, since you say you are new to this, you're doing the right thing getting a class. Learn as much as you can, practice as much as you can. Get good gear and get comfortable with it. Welcome to the forum.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Thanks for the replies. As far as the situation goes, I was blocked in at the light with no were to go.

As far as my familarity with guns, I have grew up my entire life with guns and have many rifles, shotguns, and handguns. I am comfortable with with my guns and have a M&P compact that I love and will be carrying wtih my CCW. I have had different gun instruction classes over the course of my life and go to the range every couple weeks to make sure my handling stays good. I have just been putting off gettting my CCW since the new laws went into effect in AZ last year allow CC in various area's.

Did you call 911 after? Did you get his tag number?

I would drive away if possible. If I couldn't drive off AND he broke my window, he'd have met Elsie (Ruger LCP). The way I see it, there was clearly the elements of Ability, Opportunity AND Jeopardy present. He verbally threatened you, he attempted to gain entry to your vehicle in a forceful manner and you were in fear for your life.

Glad it worked out OK for you.
    Best regards,
    Steve
    Ruger P345 Ruger LCP

"Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains." - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by SAR in FL View Post
    Did you call 911 after? Did you get his tag number?

I would drive away if possible. If I couldn't drive off AND he broke my window, he'd have met Elsie (Ruger LCP). The way I see it, there was clearly the elements of Ability, Opportunity AND Jeopardy present. He verbally threatened you, he attempted to gain entry to your vehicle in a forceful manner and you were in fear for your life.

Glad it worked out OK for you.
    I was not able to get a plate number, as he was in the left lane and I was in the right. Soon as the cars in front of me moved, I cranked a right to get away.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Driving away would be good, but I would want his tag number to report to 911, he needs to talk to a cop. If in the time it takes to get said number my glass was to break or even crack he would be shot. But I am an old man so that may explain my response, that some people just need to be shot.
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by md360 View Post
    Hey guys I am new to the forum but have lerked for a while. I had a situation yesterday that has pushed me over the edge on my CCW here is AZ.

Situation:
    Yesterday I was driving down the road here is phoenix yesterday and had a car behind me that drove next me, then behind me and back again to the side again. We came to a red light and the driver got out of the car and started beating my driver windshield, yelling he was going to F me up (ect) and yanking my door handle. The car was locked and all the other cars around just stared. I did nothing to provoke this attack (cut him off, change lanes, nothing!), and luckly my window didn't break. Since I live in AZ and we are allowed CC in the open I normally have a gun in my car, but didn't yesterday as I hadn't put it back after vacation. I was able to drive off safely but am now going for my CCW class next week and will be carrying full time.

My question is what would you have done? What if the glass would have broken?

This has left me a little rattled and just want some thoughts on what you would have done.

Thanks for the advice and opinions.
    Exact same thing happened to me in Tuscon a few years ago...except in my case, I drew down on the guy.....he stopped hitting my window. I was stuck at a light, in traffic, there was no where to go.

If he had come through the window, I would have defended myself.

Lesson learned: carry always....have a plan...keep doors locked.
    Harryball likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Good answers, only one thing to add. Guard your eyes against glass fragmments should a window break.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Good comments but most everyone says they would have drilled him, etc. The OP stated he had no gun. Can't drill him with no gun. He couldn't drive off, blocked in. Another good reason to at least carry some pepper spray with you. This also serves as a reminder to always leave space between you and the vehicle in front of you for maneuverability.

Did you try calling 911 while he was banging on your window? Maybe this would have made him stop knowing you were calling the cops.
    Also, lay on your horn. Draw attention to him.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

OK, in your situation with no gun...I would have put it in reverse and floored it ramming the front of his car. Then call 911 and report being rear-ended. I drive a big 4x4 truck, and I really don't care if it gets a scratch or three on it. That's why they call them "bumpers".
    SIGP250 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

First, as others have said, I'm glad to hear you weren't hurt. Second, can you give us some more details? What time of day or night was it? How long did this encounter last (I know it probably seemed like forever, but give your best guess)?

Overall, given the circumstances, I think you did pretty well; especially if the encounter only lasted a few seconds. It's easy for us to sit here in the comfort of our homes and say what we would have done differently, but I know I have never been in a similar situation so I won't pretend to know how I would have reacted in the short time I imagine this took place.

I will have to think about how I would handle this, though. Food for thought.

Welcome to the forum and, again, I'm glad you weren't hurt.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    OK, in your situation with no gun...I would have put it in reverse and floored it ramming the front of his car. Then call 911 and report being rear-ended. I drive a big 4x4 truck, and I really don't care if it gets a scratch or three on it. That's why they call them "bumpers".
    I'm disillusioned now BugDude. It has all been a lie. A dirty, rotten, lie.

On your other point, the other driver's car was in the lane to his left; not behind him.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links