the "Waffle House" attack................ - Page 2

the "Waffle House" attack................

This is a discussion on the "Waffle House" attack................ within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bad situation to be in, and not just the food! I have no desire to go up against 3 armed suspects. Especially when 1 is ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: the "Waffle House" attack................

VIP Member
    Bad situation to be in, and not just the food! I have no desire to go up against 3 armed suspects. Especially when 1 is armed with a long gun. I'm going to comply with their demands unless they start the herding process to the back of the store, or start shooting. If I am forced to pull my gun, the first target will be the one with the long gun. I will view them all as armed and since I am in fear of my life they are all legitimate targets.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    well i have personally been in two situations having to draw my CCW piece (which i posted two separate threads on in this fourm, use the search function and read about them), and i will say AGAIN, im not depending on the "mercy" of animals for my well being..........

and im not a "tough guy" or a member of Seal Team Six........
    I won't speculate as to why you seem to think my overall comments were directed to your personally.

As for your exploits, I'll wait for the book or the movie to come out.
    Last edited by Chad Rogers; May 7th, 2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Hard to tell if all three were armed, but I could tell that two of them were. You are right, 3 against one, not good odds. Also a lot of innocent people in there to take a hit if one of your rounds misses target (and there are three, you'd have to do some fast shootin'). Hand them the cash from your wallet act like you're playing nice like the rest of the innocent people, take note of descriptions, etc.. keep your wits about you and the first one that starts shooting, gets a bullet.

I'm not going to get into a shoot out with 2 or 3 armed thugs in the middle of a diner full of innocent victims unless I can help it. I'm not Bruce Willis.

Now would be a good time to have a "throw down wallet"
    I alswys do, even has credit cards with future expiration dayes. But the accounts are closed.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    well i have personally been in two situations having to draw my CCW piece (which i posted two separate threads on in this fourm, use the search function and read about them), and i will say AGAIN, im not depending on the "mercy" of animals for my well being..........

and im not a "tough guy" or a member of Seal Team Six........
    I have been in a few myself. I agree with you on this. Im not depending on them being nice BGs
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Like all situations that are seen on the net it is hard to see what all was really going on. From what I have read other places on this video there was at least one woman inside who was armed and then the man in red shirt who runs out behind them to get his gun and does fire at them. Woman who was armed inside said she never felt like she could or should get her gun in the action, she was there I was not.

Times like this are great times to have a drop wallet, I hate to give up my wallet and do not like the idea of getting on the floor. But will I get on the floor or ground? YES, I have done so in a FOF situation looking down the barrel of a full auto M 16 airsoft. I say it was because I had hurt my leg and could hardly move, but I got down.

If I was to have take action in this situation the BG with the rifle would have been my first target. He showed to have the most experience and had the most accurate weapon, . He did show bad gun handling at the end with the gun under his arm and pointing behind him.

If I was to have been there I most likely would have been sitting in the area he came to, sitting so I could be watching the door. So his being my first target would have also made him my closest target. Then I would have gone to the one at the cash register. I'm think the 3rd one at the door would have run, if not he would have been the last target. I would have been moving the whole time I was firing, as I didn't see anything that would have made good cover. I would therefore rely on movement to keep from getting shot myself.

But one can sit here and say anything, you can only know for sure when sitting in the situation.

So with that stay safe one and all
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Depending on your confidence and whatever tactical advantage you can make happen, I see no reason someone could not have put these punks in the ground. From the camera view, there were multiple oppurtunities to take them down. It doesnt take an operator or ninja to kill thugs, just resolve, confidence and a willingness to do it. Its a judgement call that only the person in that situation can make at that time. Its apparent that they are ametuers, and at the first shot would have temporarily froze, trying to figure out what was happening, giving someone a good window of oppurtunuty to aquire the second target and unload. As far as the third one, might as well take him out too, I would have to assume he is armed since the other two were.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

The Waffle House Franchiser in my area has a no guns sign. Its not a legal sign, but I got his message and I take my business elsewhere even at 2am.
    I try not to be out without a Buddie at that hour so with us both caring as we always do the situation would have been different and a some bad guys might have gone home in bags. One on three, useless they start shooting I would most likely give up my wallet.

It astounds me that folks, who erstwhile will tell you of what strong moral fiber and conscience they are, simply do not give a flying hoot whether their opening fire, because they can and it might be fun, would result in the bad guys opening fire themselves and shooting other innocent patrons in a panic to address the sound of gunfire or their frenzy to cover their flight.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    It astounds me that folks, who erstwhile will tell you of what strong moral fiber and conscience they are, simply do not give a flying hoot whether their opening fire, because they can and it might be fun, would result in the bad guys opening fire themselves and shooting other innocent patrons in a panic to address the sound of gunfire or their frenzy to cover their flight.
    That is why being there in person is so important, in saying or knowing what to do. BGs running around waving guns and being hyped up is a bad situation to be in. They can and will start to shoot at any time. Being there hopefully you can get the feel and be the first to shoot. I would rather be first to shoot rather than not being able to shoot at all, because you never know who will be their first target. Just may be you!

In my earlier post I posted my engagement act, that would be my wants if I was to engage. I think in everyones posts be there in person would put a new light on it all. Some would some would not. Only you know what your trigger is to make you go active, and it will be different at different times.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Depending on your confidence and whatever tactical advantage you can make happen, I see no reason someone could not have put these punks in the ground. From the camera view, there were multiple oppurtunities to take them down. It doesnt take an operator or ninja to kill thugs, just resolve, confidence and a willingness to do it. Its a judgement call that only the person in that situation can make at that time. Its apparent that they are ametuers, and at the first shot would have temporarily froze, trying to figure out what was happening, giving someone a good window of oppurtunuty to aquire the second target and unload. As far as the third one, might as well take him out too, I would have to assume he is armed since the other two were.
    Makes sense to me...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    It astounds me that folks, who erstwhile will tell you of what strong moral
    fiber and conscience they are, simply do not give a flying hoot whether their
    opening fire, because they can and it might be fun, would result in the bad guys
    opening fire themselves and shooting other innocent patrons in a panic to
    address the sound of gunfire or their frenzy to cover their flight
    Perhaps you are misjudging others because of your own limitations.
    There are several of us here that practice shooting scenarios with people all around. I personally know of no one,that does not give a flying hoot when the lead flys. To assume that because of what it typed here is such, is to be wrong.
    Its a serious thing to shoot at someone. While it may sound macho to those that can not engage or will not engage for various reasons, just because they personally don't feel like they can do it does not mean that someone else can not. Don't be so short sighted.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Perhaps you are misjudging others because of your own limitations.
    There are several of us here that practice shooting scenarios with people all around. I personally know of no one,that does not give a flying hoot when the lead flys. To assume that because of what it typed here is such, is to be wrong.
    Its a serious thing to shoot at someone. While it may sound macho to those that can not engage or will not engage for various reasons, just because they personally don't feel like they can do it does not mean that someone else can not. Don't be so short sighted.
    If I understand him correctly, Chad Rogers is saying that it seems to him that certain people seem flippant about "opening up" on these guys without giving thought to the fact that the robbers will begin shooting at that point -when they hadn't fired a shot until then. He's not saying you would hit innocent bystanders he's saying that they will. You shoot one bad guy and his buddies just start shooting whoever is in front of them. They hear one bang and the trigger finger reacts. To simplify it, he's saying that if you fire first they may start executing people before you can take them all out.

Statements like "some bad guys might have gone home in bags" without following up with "and innocents might go home in bags, too" are the type of thing that I think he's referring to.

I'm not sure I agree with him 100% because every scenario is different and without being in the room it's hard from surveillance cameras to tell how it might play out, but I understand where he is coming from and it's an important consideration. It's just as important to know when NOT to shoot.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Perhaps you are misjudging others because of your own limitations. There are several of us here that practice shooting scenarios with people all around.
    Admittedly, not everybody is good enough to be on Delta or SEAL Team 6. Or a master of the one way paper target range.

Senior Moderator
    Admittedly, not everyone is smart enough to know not to tick off a Moderator. Behind the scenes, we call it "Death by Moderator". Be very careful with the words and assumptions and keep it on topic.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have a hard time simply letting people who have already shown themselves to be scumbags be the ones to decide if I, or anyone else, live or die. Does this scenario suck? You bet. Am I willing to count on their mercy or goodwill? Not on my life. At the moment they decide to start executing people, you are WAY behind the eight ball.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links