Passenger Tries to Open Door In Flight - Page 2

Passenger Tries to Open Door In Flight

This is a discussion on Passenger Tries to Open Door In Flight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; there is an airline pilot on another board I go to, I PM'ed him and asked if its even physically possible to open a door ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Passenger Tries to Open Door In Flight

there is an airline pilot on another board I go to, I PM'ed him and asked if its even physically possible to open a door in flight. I'll let everyone know what he says.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Administrator
    Do your best to knock his lights out and then secure him with anything available.

And then tell the CNN interviewer that you don't consider yourself to be a hero.
    You only did what any responsible citizen/passenger would do were they were in your shoes.

I might assist the air steward to restrain the guy, but that's it.

He'll never get that door open while the plane is flying, so there's no real threat. Just a crazy guy... handle the same as a crazy guy who won't sit in his seat, but presents no other threat.

edit: It is possible to open the door, but the plane would have to be flying low-ish and slow, and the cabin depressurized - something that doesnt' normally happen. If those circumstances are present, you already have bigger problems anyway.
    Last edited by JOHNSMITH; May 9th, 2011 at 10:31 PM.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    After 9/11 I won't sit still waiting to die. I'm going to do what I can to survive and that does not include sitting there. I have no clue if the door can or can't be opened and Im not waiting to find out.

Oh. Southwest serves peanuts, crackers, some bad cookies and on my last flight cheese its. Also soda, water, juice and coffee with alcoholic drinks for a price.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Take him/her out by any means. If that means death then let it be.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Beat him till I am tired of beating him then pass him around like a plate of granny's homemade biscuits for everyone else to beat.
    Lewis128 likes this.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I'd be more concerned about having this guy in the cabin with me until we can safely land. Hopefully myself and a few other passengers can hold him down until then. I'd not give a thought to the door actually opening. Being an airline buff, I know that when in flight and pressurized it's an impossible task.

you know, you can take a pair of socks and a few rolls of nickels on a plane right?
    or a t-shirt with a can of coke wrapped in it?

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    After 9/11 I won't sit still waiting to die. I'm going to do what I can to survive and that does not include sitting there. I have no clue if the door can or can't be opened and Im not waiting to find out.

Oh. Southwest serves peanuts, crackers, some bad cookies and on my last flight cheese its. Also soda, water, juice and coffee with alcoholic drinks for a price.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

i'm with ya here, i don't fly much, but if you act stupid and endanger us "good guys" i will get involved if needed

Quote Originally Posted by Keisukekun View Post
    They did a csi episode on this. Guy had a brain condition that made him delirious and all the passesngers kicked him to death.
    Was he from Yemen and yelling "Allahu Achbar" also?
    Oh, the MSM left that part of the story out.
    Now we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    there is an airline pilot on another board I go to, I PM'ed him and asked if its even physically possible to open a door in flight. I'll let everyone know what he says.
    The guy here (from Yemen) was pounding on the cockpit door, not the passenger door. There is no pressure difference between the cockpit and the cabin.

I have a plan.
    Remember how we all know your seat cushion can be used for flotation?
    I plan on putting my arms through the straps of two cushions and charging the terrorist.
    Box cutter or not, he's going down.

I would follow the lead of the air steward. They are in command during a situation like this. I'm not going to create more issues for them by implementing my own plan. However, if they require assistance or if, in my judgement, they are not in control of the situation, I will help.
    9MMare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blastissimo View Post
    Grab the demo seat belt / seat belt extender and nail 'em with the buckle end. lights out. Then use it to secure his arms to the arms of the seat. wake em up after we've landed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I have a plan.
    Remember how we all know your seat cushion can be used for flotation?
    I plan on putting my arms through the straps of two cushions and charging the terrorist.
    Box cutter or not, he's going down.
    Anytime I travel I carry a 3/4 used up roll of Duct tape. Enough to secure anybody if I need to. One of last trip with American Airlines and Delta where the was no TV in the seat, We taped the DVD player to the seat in front of us to keep the kids quite.

Also the seat belts unclip from the seat very easily.

I have been thinking about carrying extra heavy-duty zip ties when I travel.

In this actual situation 2 customers and one flight attendent ended up pinning this guy down until they landed.

Find like minded people and do the same. He doesnt have a gun or a knife, just mob him. Threats over. You shouldnt even have to cause real physical harm. Enough people and its over.

I got a PM back from that pilot, he says its pretty much impossible for an exterior door to come open in flight. so my answer to the scenario is: unless he is hurting people, let him wear himself out on the door; I'm going back to my book.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    I got a PM back from that pilot, he says its pretty much impossible for an exterior door to come open in flight. so my answer to the scenario is: unless he is hurting people, let him wear himself out on the door; I'm going back to my book.
    But we also know that at some point everything mechanical can and will fail. I'm not betting my life on what another pilot says. because everything comes into play like cabin pressure, rigity of the airframe, altitude, etc., etc. If someone tries to open that door in midflight theres a good chance I will attempt to restrain/kill him. Myself and my family will not be the exception which disproves the rule.
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links