Passenger Tries to Open Door In Flight

This is a discussion on Passenger Tries to Open Door In Flight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Houston to Chicago Flight Diverts in St. Louis - FoxNews.com A Continental Airlines flight from Houston to Chicago diverted in St. Louis after officials say ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Passenger Tries to Open Door In Flight

Passenger Tries to Open Door In Flight

Houston to Chicago Flight Diverts in St. Louis - FoxNews.com

A Continental Airlines flight from Houston to Chicago diverted in St. Louis after officials say a passenger tried to open a plane door during the flight.
    What is the appropriate response, in flight, none of the usual tools available (gun, knife, OC spray)?

Do you take this guy down?
    Leave him alone, knowing there is NO way he will get the door open?
    Do nothing because Feds on board will handle it?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You just have to get creative, a hot pot of coffee to the face will change someone’s attitude quickly or a smack to the back of the head with a fire extinguisher will slow them down. There are many tools that may be used if necessary but your best is your brain and mindset.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    Push them out, hope they packed a chute?
    First Sgt likes this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    There is no certainty any feds will be on board.

Leave him alone, knowing there is NO way he will get the door open?
    My personal fear would be the 'where there's a will, there's a way' paradigm.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I don't know enough about planes (flown several times) to know if he could,or couldn't get the door open.

BUT-I'll be danged if I'm gonna watch someone do something that could kill me/my family without doing SOMETHING. I'd rather get my tail kicked TRYING to stop him, then go down without a fight.

Further-I'd probable verbally (and very loudly) say something to him first in hopes that it will get others attention and POSSIBLY solicit help to stop/subdue him if need be.

I've only ever flown with my wife,and child. But If I was flying with other friends/family,we would approach as a group.

Last time I flew I was recovering from knee surgery, so I had to bring a cane with me to help walk. I'm thinking next time I fly I will bring the cane with me again as an 'impromtu' weapon. I've got 3 huge scars on my knee,so nobody would really 'question' why such a young guy would have a cane.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I'm disabled,but I would head towards the threat,and rally the troops,you would be surprised how many people want to react but aren't sure if they should,once somebody yells,stop him,let's kick his ass etc. you will probably have a dozen people tackling the guy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I would probably yell something like "Hey stop F'kn around and sit down" pretty loud and upset sounding (attention grabber, both the person doing it and the people not paying attention) Safety in numbers I agree.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I'd take his peanuts from his seat while he wasn't looking hehe. I don't think they even serve peanuts anymore do they?
    WHEC724 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    I'd take his peanuts from his seat while he wasn't looking hehe. I don't think they even serve peanuts anymore do they?
    Airplaned shaped cookie things(tasty!) and sodas/water.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Houston to Chicago Flight Diverts in St. Louis - FoxNews.com
    What is the appropriate response, in flight
    I hope, if that ever happens on a flight of mine, the passengers throw him to the floor and kick him in the head until he's dead.
    Same with any terrorist.

The chances of any feds being on board are slim.
    Due to attrition, there aren't many air marshals, and we all know congress wants their butts protected first,
    so Houston to Chicago? You're on your own.

They did a csi episode on this. Guy had a brain condition that made him delirious and all the passesngers kicked him to death.

He's attempting to use deadly force by opening that door. Hard kick to side of knee, then hard strike to throat. Should do the trick
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Well, first thing I would do is to make sure my family is strapped in and ready for a "E-Ticket" ride. In commercial air liners as long as there's no structural damage, emergency decompression is a planned and practiced occurrence. Lots of noise, fog, and panic but very survivable.

Trying to engage the person trying to open the door may put you in a very wrong place at a very wrong time. A person may be violent or they may be simply in the grasp of a major panic attack. I'm going out on a limb here and saying that if they refuse to follow voice commands from crew that there's little chance they will listen to me. Now if their activities move away from the door and toward me then another avenue may need to be taken but until their away from the door I'm staying strapped in.

Delta still serves peanuts and cookies with their beverage service. US Airways does not just beverages, I think American is the same way. I don't recall being served peanuts on United the last time I flew with them but it has been a while.

With regards to the OP. I would base my reaction on what the flight attendants do. If they are able to diffuse the situation then no action is required. If they can't then I would do the strength in numbers thing and try to get other able bodied passengers to help me assist.

Grab the demo seat belt / seat belt extender and nail 'em with the buckle end. lights out. Then use it to secure his arms to the arms of the seat. wake em up after we've landed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links