How to Be a "Good Witness"...

This is a discussion on How to Be a "Good Witness"... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Great post soundwave!! I just sent a copy of this to a firearms instructors here in OH, Told him he could pass this information out ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Be a "Good Witness"...

Great post soundwave!! I just sent a copy of this to a firearms instructors here in OH, Told him he could pass this information out at his next CCW class.. Hope you don't mind!! :)

Thanks again!
    I wear a seatbelt, but I hope to never need it, I use smoke detectors in my house, but I hope to never need them, I carry life insurance, but I hope to never need it, I carry a weapon, but I hope to never need it.

2. Remove Ads

No problem knpjdad, go right ahead. ;O)

As for the 9-1-1 center that told you that, damn right... They're stupid. lol

Cheers.

Assistant Administrator
    Soundwave suggested we might sticky this thread as a valuable reference resource - I am inclined to agree and so we'll let it stay in view.

I am tempted to use some of this material myself to add to one of my sites.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I keep the city Police non-emergency number and State Police number programmed into my cell phone. If you travel frequently, it might be a good idea to have State Police or Highway Patrol #'s plugged in to report drunk drivers, etc.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Great post, glad to see it "stickey'ed"!
    Curry

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    It's a good, helpful thread -- as are most that try to help us know how to interact with the police in a stressful, possibly dangerous situation.

You mentioned the phonetic alphabet making it more understandable when having to spell things -- and particularly it is useful for giving license plate descriptions.

For those who want it, here it is:

A - Alpha
    B - Bravo
    C - Charlie
    D - Delta
    E - Echo
    F - Foxtrot
    G - Golf
    H - Hotel
    I - India
    J - Juliet
    K - Kilo
    L - Lima
    M - Mike
    N - November
    O - Oscar
    P - Papa
    Q - Quebec
    R - Romeo
    S - Sierra
    T - Tango
    U - Uniform
    V - Victor
    W - Whiskey
    X - X-ray
    Y - Yankee
    Z - Zulu

Now, some of them may seem goofy, but the reason behind them is that they all sound far enough different from any of the others that you won't mistake "Bee" for "Dee," or "Ess" for "Eff" over the radio or telephone.

These are easy to memorize, and everyone should do so. It's just more information to have at your disposal, and who doesn't want that?

edit: Also, when it comes to numbers, instead of saying "nine," say "niner". It differentiates between that and "five." (Don't ever say "fiver" because you want to sound official-like, though.)

And if the number is ZERO, it's ZERO. Don't say "Oh" because that's the letter "O"!

I should mention that the particular this phonetic alphabet (above) is not the only one used by police and sheriff's departments around the country. Sometimes there are slight differences and sometime the entire thing is different. However, if you give it in the correct context they should understand you fine (e.g. license plate ABC123 = Alpha-Bravo-Charlie-One-Two-Three).

I'm partial to this particular one because it's the one we use at my department. lol

Cheers.

I'm partial to it because it's the one I learned from my dad when I was a kid and he was learning to be a pilot. I've used it ever since.

It is "the" International Phonetic Alphabet. I always got the sense (not sure if it's right or wrong) that when you heard cops using... alternate words, they were just fudging it and might not even say the same word again for the same letter next time.

Why on earth would a department use a definite, specific set of words for this purpose other than the official one that is specified for use in like, everything else?

Anyone here work for a police department or other agency that uses a specific, department-authorized "phonetic alphabet" that is not the one posted above?

I also had fun one day and came up with my "New Improved Phonetic Alphabet," which is kind of a parody of the way I had heard cops on t.v. use alternate words, i.e. something other than the I.P.A.

Artichoke, Butterscotch, Champion, Destitute, Expert, Fortunate, Gonad, Hostel, Indonesia (get it? India, Indonesia?), Julienne (another "get it?"), Kangaroo, Lummox, Mandible, Nixon, Ostrich, Pandemonium, Quixotic (which is funny because you'd have to know that it's not pronounced how it's spelled), Rental, Sumatra, Tangerine, Uvula, Vinegar, Whereas, Xylophone, Yertle (the turtle), Zeppelin

Assistant Administrator
    I learned the official code a long time ago - and find when using it on phone to spell my last name etc - it seems to be uniformly understood - even maybe if some folks don't know it as such.

I stick to it - there is virtually no room for ambiguity - that is why it works well.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The only time I ever get self-conscious about it is when I say "niner" instead of "nine." I tend to worry that the person listening is going to be LESS likely to understand that. It's almost like it seems someone has to be trained to listen to the "real" way to spell this stuff out.

Using it on the radio in the airplane is a non-issue. ALL the pilots know about "niner" (not to mention the alphabet). It's clueless "civilians" who can get further confused by stuff like this sometimes.

Same thing often happens when you try to explain something's location using the clock numbers (i.e. "look on your 8 o'clock!")...

The truth of the matter is that the only people that I've ever heard use "niner" in radio talk is traffic control and the military. In law enforcement, a huge majority does not use it. If you use it you're likely to confuse the calltaker who is not trained to hear it unless they have previous experience (e.g. I'm a military brat so I wouldn't skip a beat).

(Sidenote: Calltakers are different from dispatchers. Calltakers only answer the phone and do not talk on the radio. Traditionally, dispatchers where calltakers work as well, only talk on the radio but can do both.)

Cheers.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    As peacefuljeffery stresses before, everything is important in communications. Here is a list of the numbers:

1 - Wuhn
    2 - Too-Wuh
    3 - Tree
    4 - Fouwer
    5 - Fife
    6 - Sicks
    7 - Sev-ehn
    8 - Eight
    9 - Niner
    0 - Zero

These are the new and revised US Army numbers. It sounds rediculous to say them, but in the heat of a situation when you are talking quickly and being clear is a neccesity, they work extremely well.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

There's little that's as much fun as talking all "official-like" over a radio, like to other pilots or air traffic control...

Just a side note about non emg number....Las Vegas area has got " one " thing right . There non emg number is 311....very easy and everyone knows it.
    "All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good men to do nothing."

Edmond Burke

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links