Why Knives Terrify Me (Bringing A Kife To A Gunfight) - Page 2

Why Knives Terrify Me (Bringing A Kife To A Gunfight)

This is a discussion on Why Knives Terrify Me (Bringing A Kife To A Gunfight) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by nhcruffler I believe most people have fear & or dislike of getting cut. I also dislike/have a fear of being shot...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Why Knives Terrify Me (Bringing A Kife To A Gunfight)

Quote Originally Posted by nhcruffler View Post
    I believe most people have fear & or dislike of getting cut.
    I also dislike/have a fear of being shot
    ETXhiker and StormRhydr like this.

Crazy how this could happen. It doesn't surprise me though, police do not get much of any training in Nicaragua and the rural areas are really underdeveloped as far as anything goes.

I agree with tomtsr that a fear of retaliation prevails much of the time. You kill the wrong persons cousin and you will could end up in a dungeon and have your family messed with.

VIP Member
    The zombie kept mumbling, I can't find my grave.
    Mike1956, dmitchsr, OD* and 2 others like this.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

It is important to remember that knives don't run out of ammo, don't malfunction and almost never miss when used in range.

Distinguished Member Array Texas Red's Avatar

So...

Quote Originally Posted by William Hill View Post
    I found this video on Youtube, of a man with a knife facing off against officers with firearms, in a Latin American country, possibly Nicaruaga. If you fast forward to around 7:00, you see what happens if you come within 30' of a man with a knife, and hesitate to shoot.

YouTube - Asesinato de Policia

We've all heard the old saying, "Never bring a knife to a gunfight". But having a gun isn't always a guarantee you'll have the upper hand. The officers hesitated, and some of them paid dearly for it; one of them apparently lost his life. Clearly, someone CAN bring a knife to a gunfight, if the one with the gun isn't prepared to use it.
    ...don't hesitate.

ctr, MIThreeper, dmitchsr and 1 others like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

VIP Member
    This is sad and tragic. They lined-up on him all wrong. They seem to be all casual and matter-of-fact about the situation, and too confident of their presence. I take away the following:

1. You can't scare a BG who isn't afraid to die; he's already made his decision. 2. Never hesitate to shoot when the BG holding a weapon is non-compliant with clear commands to drop his weapon. 3. Mean what you say, and never (if possible) allow the BG to cinch-up and close the distance. 4. If he moves, shoot him!

Even though it's sad and tragic, it makes an excellent training film for Rookie LEO's and a great refresher for experienced LEO's. IMO That life can spin on a dime, take the situation seriously, and keep it that way until the threat is resolved.
    Texas Red likes this.
    "Threat assessment and situational awareness seems to be the order of the day.
    Why wouldn't physical and mental preparedness be any less of a consideration?"- dmitchsr

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    >>>>ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<<<<

Time for a magazine dump!

Distinguished Member Array TeflonDon's Avatar
    Sad... Wasn't there a couple of recent but separate cases where officers shot and killed a black guy who was walking away from them with a knife? They shot him the second they arrived on the scene. I think the other case involved a homeless man who wasnt advancing on the officers either... If that guy had pulled that in the US, he would have had a magazine empied in him the second he flinched or blinked an eye...

The main mistake I saw was that they didn't create any distance, and not only that they hesitated to shoot. Even if they got a shot or two off, as close as they were to the perp, he still could have stabbed the officers before he went down.
    Quote Originally Posted by piguy View Post
    It is important to remember that knives don't run out of ammo, don't malfunction and almost never miss when used in range.
    You make a great point. The gun could had malfuncted too. As close as they were, they would not have had time to clear it and get a shot off either.

VIP Member
    In the US police officers virtually never face serious legal repercussions after shooing someone, even unarmed people. There are a few high profile outliers that you see on the news but statistically it almost never happens. In the US police nearly always get the benefit of the doubt and a combination of "the blue wall" and a culture of officer safely overriding all other concerns makes American cops a lot faster on the trigger than you see in the video. An old thread but still maybe the most incompetent bunch of cops I've ever seen on camera.
    Sidearm and TeflonDon like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

As someone who has been attacked with a knife before; I would have rather taken a chance with a gun than with a knife. You can become a moving target and become harder to hit even if they are moving toward you. But with a knife all you need is distance closing. In my experience I tried to run from the knife but my scared clumsy self tripped over a chair and that distance closed super quick and I had to do my darndest to disarm a drugged out family member. I still carry the scars too and I ended up doing self bandaging as a small vein got cut in the fight. A knife is more lethal. Only difference in my circumstance is that my attacker was slashing wildly in the air rather than doing directed stabbing motions.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadScientist View Post
    As someone who has been attacked with a knife before; I would have rather taken a chance with a gun than with a knife. You can become a moving target and become harder to hit even if they are moving toward you. But with a knife all you need is distance closing. In my experience I tried to run from the knife but my scared clumsy self tripped over a chair and that distance closed super quick and I had to do my darndest to disarm a drugged out family member. I still carry the scars too and I ended up doing self bandaging as a small vein got cut in the fight. A knife is more lethal. Only difference in my circumstance is that my attacker was slashing wildly in the air rather than doing directed stabbing motions.
    I agree with your assessment, a knife can do a heck of a lot of silent damage. And if an unskilled knife fighter can do to you what you've described, imagine what skilled one could have done. That's even more scarier, which would make me more determined to shoot them in the face, before the onslaught. Knife attack seems to be much more intentional, much more personal, much more sinister and vicious.
    "Threat assessment and situational awareness seems to be the order of the day.
    Why wouldn't physical and mental preparedness be any less of a consideration?"- dmitchsr

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    >>>>ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<<<<

Mythbusters did an episode of this, with surprising results.
    Bring a knife to a gun fight.
    Sidearm and KeithC. like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deej6519 View Post
    Mythbusters did an episode of this, with surprising results.
    Bring a knife to a gun fight.
    I'm a big fan of Mythbusters! But I wouldn't call those results at all surprising. Google "Tueller Drill" or "The 21 Foot Rule" and you'll see this has been preached almost to the level of doctrine for years. It's been shown by many experiments.

One of other things debunked by this test is the idea of carrying in Condition Zero, ie with an empty chamber. Now obviously knife attacks don't usually start like that with a guy screaming at you and coming at you at a dead run, waving a knife. But imagine you are in that situation and have to respond with an unloaded holstered gun! Not pretty.
    Texas Red, KeithC. and dmitchsr like this.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Poor positioning. Reluctance to pull the trigger. The cop with the AK chooses to move it out of the way and approach the suspect with a nightstick. Darwin award time!

Strange conclusions. The video is well known. Would you thing the policemen would have been better off if the guy had had a gun? In the last 10 years about 450 policemen in the US were killed by guns, three by knives. About 15 to 30% of persons shot die, about 5 to 10 % of persons stabbed/sliced die (sources differ much). I think the best way to win a fight against a knife is to bring a gun (or a sword/spear). It does not guarantee winning unharmed if in knife range of course.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links