Why Knives Terrify Me (Bringing A Kife To A Gunfight)

This is a discussion on Why Knives Terrify Me (Bringing A Kife To A Gunfight) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found this video on Youtube, of a man with a knife facing off against officers with firearms, in a Latin American country, possibly Nicaruaga. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Why Knives Terrify Me (Bringing A Kife To A Gunfight)

Why Knives Terrify Me (Bringing A Kife To A Gunfight)

I found this video on Youtube, of a man with a knife facing off against officers with firearms, in a Latin American country, possibly Nicaruaga. If you fast forward to around 7:00, you see what happens if you come within 30' of a man with a knife, and hesitate to shoot.

YouTube - Asesinato de Policia

We've all heard the old saying, "Never bring a knife to a gunfight". But having a gun isn't always a guarantee you'll have the upper hand. The officers hesitated, and some of them paid dearly for it; one of them apparently lost his life. Clearly, someone CAN bring a knife to a gunfight, if the one with the gun isn't prepared to use it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Yes, that happened in Nicaragua and it was a very well known case in all of Central America. The problem is that the officers are poorly trained and always hesitate to shoot the criminal because they get in trouble afterwards in court. It is unbelievable that the police officers were carrying AK-47's and they were unable to stop the offender before he stabbed 3 officers. Incompetence!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    Waited too long to shoot, could not hit what they aimed at and were intent on running away rather than engaging - bad recipe.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The issue is likely complicated due to corruption. True, the trainig they get is less than what it takes to get a CCW here, but I have had conversations with people when I traveled to Columbia and Argentina and they are over run with corruption. A BG could be video taped as in the OP and by US standards be taken out. But often, there is pull by someone and the LEO's are the ones that end up in jail.

One other factor is that the shooting on camera would have identified the LEO's to the BG's friends and retaliation is huge there.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Am I missing something? All I see is a wounded guy on a wall that gets hauled off in the back of a truck.

TVJ
    AVOID bringing a gun to a knife fight.

AVOID letting a gun fight become a knife fight.
    RMS likes this.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Greater fear of the aftermath than the event, rarely leads to effective action.
    oneshot likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Am I missing something? All I see is a wounded guy on a wall that gets hauled off in the back of a truck.
    Apparently. You saw the perp getting hauled away. Prior to that there are 3 cops hauled away bt 2 different, apparently private, vehicles.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I truly believe in always having a good knife. It may sound strange but I feel almost as comfortable / well armed with my knife as with my knife and gun. I always carry my Kershaw Blur and it is an awesome assisted opener. Best part is it opens with authority. It has nice loud " smack" as it locks open. It gets your attention , to say. Not to mention that I believe most people have fear & or dislike of getting cut.

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Greater fear of the aftermath than the event, rarely leads to effective action.
    Yes;

All feelings have positive intention.

All is a Big Word.

Fear's positive intention is risk control.

Too much: Freeze up

Too little: Take too much risk; create tactical error(s)

I take and train the middle way.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    Yes;

I take and train the middle way.
    train every which way you can; from both extreams in and in the moment--let your subconcious pick and choose from your various skills what to do and when.
    you have a plan
    but others seldom read and follow the same script. thus your plan must be flexable: comprised of many elements and fluid to allow for changes.
    changes in how 'they' are reacting to you and how you need to be modifing your plan based on how they...sort of a catch 22 but with you having the gun and able to end the interaction with a bullet.
    but the last thing you want to do is shoot somebody; but it may be the first thing you have to do.
    hence, back to traing every which way. you can not anticipate everything, but what goes down will have elements of things you have trained for.
    most often, this is as good as it gets.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Claude you make a good point to train and train often. My problem with this, is that weapons were drawn. I can only imagine myself in this situation. The officers had there weapons out. One with an AK. This BG should of never been able to attack.

Lacking a determination to act, training or preparations are of little value.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    While I am not a LEO, I would've hoped that the men depicted in this video had better training than that...& perhaps better social & governmental support.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Administrator
    Un loco con una bayoneta

I couldn't have said it any better than that.

That there was some mighty shoddy & amazingly unskilled Police work. Just terrible.

And just add a siren & paint a Red Cross + on a TOYOTA Pick Up & it becomes an Ambulance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links