Simple things are not always simple

This is a discussion on Simple things are not always simple within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; mostly women do not have a dimmer switch when their family is threatened. I'm not big on lasers for aiming, but for her being willing ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Simple things are not always simple

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    mostly women do not have a dimmer switch when their family is threatened.

I'm not big on lasers for aiming, but for her being willing it would help her being able also.
    and she asked for nite-sights...get them also.

can i guess that you are secretly smiling through the pain?
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Teeth always leave nasty, dirty wounds on knuckles. Mouths have a ton of germs in them. Gman, make sure you use Neosporin on the knuckle wounds or they will get infected.

I'm happy to say that it's been many years since I've had teeth marks on my knuckles.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Last night while on the way home from visiting family , my wife daughter and I were getting ready to turn onto our road when we came upon a man and a bicycle laying in the middle of the road. My wife was driving, so I decided to get out and check on this man who was obviously struggling.

I told my wife to lock the door and if anything happened to just get out of there. As I walked over to the man, flashlight in my hand, I could see he was a middle aged intoxicated, African American , who was bleeding from the mouth and head. I asked him if he had been hit by a car, and he said no, that two guys he thought were his friends beat him up.

While I was trying to help him up, I noticed his shoestring was caught in the chain. While working with this, my wife began honking the horn. As I looked, two white males approached from the woods on the other side of the road, one carrying a good sized stick. As I stood up, the first guy told me to mind my own business, and kicked the black man who, was still tangled up in the bike, in the back.
    The guy with the stick, now was walking around the bike towards me. I decided to take a preemptive strike before my options were narrowed and hit stick man in the face. So, I got the first lick in, and was on my third or fourth when my wife decided to crack off a couple of shots with her 357 mag.So stick man was down, and the other guy took off running. So I took his stick and smacked him across the arse and back with it everytime he tried to stand up until he crawled all the way across the road.

My wife had already notified my agency, and the had people and units on the way, but being so far out it took them 25 minutes to get there. Stick man ran off in the woods, but not before he got a taste of his own medicine.
    I couldn't help but heckle him and yell" is this what ya had in mind punk!"
    I never once thought about pulling my g26, which was concealed.
    Had to write a report of the incident for my agency, a mandentory requirement.

I ask the Mrs (jokingly of course) why she had to ruin my fun so quickly. Her response was, "I need night sights".
    I laughed and said" I thought you were just trying to scare them"
    She just gave me that look. I wonder.....
    What or who was you wife shooting at? I don't know about KY, but in TN, warning shots are a no no.

Good thing that you saved the man from certain further injuries or possible death.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Thanks all. My daughter handled it well. She is 15, and I hate that she had to see that, but we have taught her things all along, so she understood. My wife will get her night sights next payday. Both of the perps are still at large.
    I ask my wife it she was trying to hit the guy and she admitted that she was. She said she was afraid for me, and could not clearly see the red insert of the revolver. I suspect in that moment she wasn't even looking for the front sight.
    tbrenke likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Well good for her wanting to protect you, but you might have a chat with her about shooting at perps you're engaged in hand-to-hand combat with, especially if she doesn't have good visibility.
    RevolvingMag and tbrenke like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

"I need night sights" Epic!!!

You guys did well.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Thanks all. My daughter handled it well. She is 15, and I hate that she had to see that, but we have taught her things all along, so she understood. My wife will get her night sights next payday. Both of the perps are still at large.
    I ask my wife it she was trying to hit the guy and she admitted that she was. She said she was afraid for me, and could not clearly see the red insert of the revolver. I suspect in that moment she wasn't even looking for the front sight.
    Don't miss a teaching moment, remind her that she missed and you were there in front of her too. Could have been a real tragic story if the miss had been absorbed by you.

I'm loving visualizing the whole event, especially Stickman getting whacked with his own stick and running for the woods after taking a beating and hearing that 357 mag going off. Just wish that could have made it to YouTube.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Don't miss a teaching moment, remind her that she missed and you were there in front of her too. Could have been a real tragic story if the miss had been absorbed by you.
    Exactly! When she responded to your 'what were you aiming at' with 'I need night sights' I would have probably had to sit down for a moment. Because that means that a .357 was pointed/fired in your direction. ...in the dark. Supposedly 'at someone you were in hand to hand combat with'. Probably would have also made a bit of a mess on myself as well.

I'm glad that everyone is ok.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

glockman I'm glad to hear things turned out good for your family. I'm sure you've run the whole scenario through your mind several times and noticed most of the things that could have gone worse. You are to be commended for helping a complete stranger in need and then defending him from a couple of thugs. There may be more to the story, hell the story may wind up with the guy you helped being the problem. But that doesn't warrant 2 men and a stick kicking him while he's down and then confronting an innocent good samaritan who's just on the scene. You must feel a sense of pride knowing your wife was there to back you up, and her witty response was priceless. I'm a little befuddled that you resisted the urge to draw your pistol when confronted by 2 men with a weapon and a 3rd man who very well coulda been the bait, maybe it's your training, experience, and confidence that kept you from drawing your gun. At any rate you and your family did good, I hope they catch these guys before they figure out where you may live, although they may use those few brain cells to figure out that you are not an easy target.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Some people have all of the fun.
    Semper Fi

Hi Joker1. Actually a couple of things did go wrong. Let's see, I guess first, I had drank about 3 or 4 beers in a time span of about 6 or so hours, so even though I was clearly thinking and probably legal to drive, I was acutely aware of the alcohol consumption and ramifications of anything in my blood. This is something I have learned to accept and deal with over the years. Even though I would have been clear due to the miniscule amount that might still have been present in my blood , I knew that had to be a last option.

Secondly, when they came upon us, it took me totally by suprise. I was blinded by the headlights to only what was immediately in front of me. When I first saw them, I knew I had been had, and actually took a step or two back and to the left, in the direction of the car. My first inclination was the safety of the car, but I was too late.
    As stockman came around the bike towards me, that placed him to the right front of the car, which put plenty of space between him and kick man. I believe my wife had a clear shot at kickman when she fired, although I do not know where he was at that moment.

The shots were loud, and at that moment i was not sure where it had come from. I did not see the flash because of the headlights. The load was a 145 grain jhp with a healthy dose of h110.
    Hope this answers your questions.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Rarely, could things have not been done better, fortunately good enough is often sufficient.
    First Sgt, joker1 and oneshot like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Reminds me of the old adage; 'hit first, and hit hard'

Well played

Sent from my phone
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Rarely, could things have not been done better, fortunately good enough is often sufficient.
    Good point Gauntes. A half decent plan implemented RIGHT NOW is always better than a perfect plan that is still sitting on the shelf. Action > reaction.
    joker1 and RMS like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links