Simple things are not always simple

This is a discussion on Simple things are not always simple within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wmhawth I'm loving visualizing the whole event, especially Stickman getting whacked with his own stick and running for the woods after taking ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 62
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Simple things are not always simple

  1. #46
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    6,999
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I'm loving visualizing the whole event, especially Stickman getting whacked with his own stick and running for the woods after taking a beating and hearing that 357 mag going off. Just wish that could have made it to YouTube.
    Amen... I along with a few thousand other folks would've loved to have seen that unfold.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #47
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    16,186
    I admire you for having the moral courage to step up and assist another who isn't a "loved one."

    Now go get the OWMBO her night sights!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  4. #48
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,721
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I ask the Mrs (jokingly of course) why she had to ruin my fun so quickly. Her response was, "I need night sights".
    I laughed and said" I thought you were just trying to scare them"
    She just gave me that look. I wonder.....
    Now, if my wife had been like yours, I wouldn't have divorced her. LOL. Give her a dinner .... 1) fired warning shots, 2) with a .357 .... OH YES !!

    Good team work. Looks like she definitely had your back.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  5. #49
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,362
    G-man, as I got older I discovered that a palm heel to the nose or a knucklethrust to the throat doesn't hurt your hand like a closedfist punch to the mouth. I decided several years ago that I am now too old to fight and too slow to run. Not that I CAN'T do either, I'm just not as quick as I was. Young guys can't grasp that once old guys reach that stage, don't mess with them. They have fewer options...and the options they have are way more serious.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

  6. #50
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    There are a number of valid open hand techniques. I have slapped men 6" and 100 pounds my better to the ground.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

  7. #51
    VIP Member
    Array WHEC724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    6,492
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    G-man, as I got older I discovered that a palm heel to the nose or a knucklethrust to the throat doesn't hurt your hand like a closedfist punch to the mouth. I decided several years ago that I am now too old to fight and too slow to run. Not that I CAN'T do either, I'm just not as quick as I was. Young guys can't grasp that once old guys reach that stage, don't mess with them. They have fewer options...and the options they have are way more serious.
    So true. Whether I throw down like Gman or draw down like an old man will depend on how my knees and back are feeling that day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    There are a number of valid open hand techniques. I have slapped men 6" and 100 pounds my better to the ground.
    More truth. One of the meanest hits I ever took was an open-handed slap from a Samoan. 'Knocked me out, broke my eardrum and nearly tore my head off. I wasn't able to turn my head for days. Ahhh... Those were the days though...
    __________________________________
    'Clinging to my guns and religion

  8. #52
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,362
    The forehead to the nose is also quite effective when properly deployed. One of my all-time favorite moves. Learned it working in furniture mills woodworking shops in the 80s.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

  9. #53
    TVJ
    TVJ is offline
    Senior Member Array TVJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    There are a number of valid open hand techniques. I have slapped men 6" and 100 pounds my better to the ground.

    nice. Simple. Saves hand.

    I wonder if you will elaborate on techniques.........
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

  10. #54
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    8,850
    An open handed slap is my favorite strike. However, I started with a hard fully extended left jab, followed by a straight hard right, then a left/right hook. I sort of knew my plan as soon as I decided to do it, which was almost at the same time I made the decision. I can't explain this, but I'm sure some here will understand.

    I threw the jab to set him up for the right, so after the jab caught him, I had to close the distance to get inside quick for a good effective. I have practiced this for years on the heavy bag and sparring sessions, sometimes substituting an upper cut into the combo, but I really like hooks because I can use body rotation and foot pivoting to really put some power into it. Unfortunately, it messes up unprotected hands, where a slap doesn't .

    Any way, an update. The guy on the bike was arrested yesterday for a non payment of fines, and failure to appear warrant. He says he cannot identify his attackers, although he told me he thought they were his friends, so I know he knows them. I know there is more to their little frackus too.

    My wife saw a picture of Heidi Smith in one of my gun rags and saw the 1911 she was holding, and now damned if she doesn't want a 1911. She also wants to go to Lethal Force Institute or Thunder Ranch, which I highly support.
    I believe she is riding a high that she hasn't come down from yet after firing a gun in a real situation.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

  11. #55
    Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    More truth. One of the meanest hits I ever took was an open-handed slap from a Samoan. 'Knocked me out, broke my eardrum and nearly tore my head off. I wasn't able to turn my head for days. Ahhh... Those were the days though...
    I have to ask (just for the sake of doing so) WHAT were you doing to the Samoan that provoked that? By all accounts I've heard, and experienced, they're not good people to 'make angry'.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

    "Gun control means hitting your target every time."

    Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

  12. #56
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    nice. Simple. Saves hand.

    I wonder if you will elaborate on techniques.........
    TVJ,

    I apologize for the for the delayed response, I just saw your question.

    There are a number of viable techniques for for slapping. Martin Cooper From GB has some excellent techniques for direct forward slapping, using both hands as a defensive measure.

    I personally primarily use slapping as a preemptive strike, when I have determined that avoidance and deescalation efforts will not be effective. In this vein the slap is surprise strike, either forehand or backhand. The forehand is probably better if you have no hand protection or hand conditioning.

    As to technique.
    If you let your upper arm hang just slightly forward of vertical, then swing your lower arm (below the elbow) in a counter clockwise circle. You will see that this can be done with little movement of the upper arm or shoulder, reducing telegraphing, such as in a full arm circular motion. This circular movement, combined with raising of the upper arm, combined with hip twist provides considerable power, while remaining difficult to detect. In addition, coming from the outside, as a "hook", it avoids the easily projected blocks used against direct blows.

    Some prefer a relaxed hand at impact. I prefer to project the center of the palm at impact, such as done in Iron Palm technique. This is accomplished by drawing the fingers back toward the outside of the hand at the moment of impact. This is difficult to explain, but easy to demonstrate. A little experimentation should illustrate the proper method. When done correctly, you will see the palm project forward.

    The jaw, ear or anywhere on the side of the head are generally effective.

    Hopefully this has been clear enough to be of use. Some of these things are easily demonstrated, but difficult to convey via written means.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

  13. #57
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,405
    Once when I was in the service I slapped a smaller man clean off of his feet. He was an E-4 and I was an E-1. He pulled me aside and told me he was going to kick my butt for some stupid reason or another. He did the school ground push to my chest and left himself open for the first shot. I didn't want to knock him out so I slapped him across the face with all I had. He went down like he was shot and crawled away wimpering about how he was going to report me. Fortunately I had five or six witnesses to the fact that he was the initiator and I never had any problems from the incident. The guy was a bully and slapping him down made me a TON of friends.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

  14. #58
    VIP Member Array SatCong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    The older you get, the longer it takes to get back to normal! I'd buy her the night sights!
    I would agree, older you get, harder it gets. But you do what you have to do.But you did good glockman10mm.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

  15. #59
    TVJ
    TVJ is offline
    Senior Member Array TVJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    TVJ,

    I apologize for the for the delayed response, I just saw your question.

    There are a number of viable techniques for for slapping. Martin Cooper From GB has some excellent techniques for direct forward slapping, using both hands as a defensive measure.

    I personally primarily use slapping as a preemptive strike, when I have determined that avoidance and deescalation efforts will not be effective. In this vein the slap is surprise strike, either forehand or backhand. The forehand is probably better if you have no hand protection or hand conditioning.

    As to technique.
    If you let your upper arm hang just slightly forward of vertical, then swing your lower arm (below the elbow) in a counter clockwise circle. You will see that this can be done with little movement of the upper arm or shoulder, reducing telegraphing, such as in a full arm circular motion. This circular movement, combined with raising of the upper arm, combined with hip twist provides considerable power, while remaining difficult to detect. In addition, coming from the outside, as a "hook", it avoids the easily projected blocks used against direct blows.

    Some prefer a relaxed hand at impact. I prefer to project the center of the palm at impact, such as done in Iron Palm technique. This is accomplished by drawing the fingers back toward the outside of the hand at the moment of impact. This is difficult to explain, but easy to demonstrate. A little experimentation should illustrate the proper method. When done correctly, you will see the palm project forward.

    The jaw, ear or anywhere on the side of the head are generally effective.

    Hopefully this has been clear enough to be of use. Some of these things are easily demonstrated, but difficult to convey via written means.

    Very clear.

    Friend coming next week for practice at home:

    Amazon.com: Century® Body Opponent Freestanding Heavy Bag, XL with Base Unit: Sports & Outdoors

    Thank you!
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

  16. #60
    Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,692
    My wife saw a picture of Heidi Smith in one of my gun rags and saw the 1911 she was holding, and now damned if she doesn't want a 1911. She also wants to go to Lethal Force Institute or Thunder Ranch, which I highly support.
    GMan--get her a good 1911 with night sights AND CT laser grips I doubt you will be sorry--and then your wife can join the ranks of those who know and use the finest sidearm in the world (I couldn't resist)
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

things arent easy quotes

,

things were not always easy

Click on a term to search for related topics.