Simple things are not always simple

This is a discussion on Simple things are not always simple within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night while on the way home from visiting family , my wife daughter and I were getting ready to turn onto our road when ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Simple things are not always simple

Simple things are not always simple

Last night while on the way home from visiting family , my wife daughter and I were getting ready to turn onto our road when we came upon a man and a bicycle laying in the middle of the road. My wife was driving, so I decided to get out and check on this man who was obviously struggling.

I told my wife to lock the door and if anything happened to just get out of there. As I walked over to the man, flashlight in my hand, I could see he was a middle aged intoxicated, African American , who was bleeding from the mouth and head. I asked him if he had been hit by a car, and he said no, that two guys he thought were his friends beat him up.

While I was trying to help him up, I noticed his shoestring was caught in the chain. While working with this, my wife began honking the horn. As I looked, two white males approached from the woods on the other side of the road, one carrying a good sized stick. As I stood up, the first guy told me to mind my own business, and kicked the black man who, was still tangled up in the bike, in the back.
    The guy with the stick, now was walking around the bike towards me. I decided to take a preemptive strike before my options were narrowed and hit stick man in the face. So, I got the first lick in, and was on my third or fourth when my wife decided to crack off a couple of shots with her 357 mag.

So stick man was down, and the other guy took off running. So I took his stick and smacked him across the arse and back with it everytime he tried to stand up until he crawled all the way across the road.

My wife had already notified my agency, and the had people and units on the way, but being so far out it took them 25 minutes to get there. Stick man ran off in the woods, but not before he got a taste of his own medicine.
    I couldn't help but heckle him and yell" is this what ya had in mind punk!"
    I never once thought about pulling my g26, which was concealed.
    Had to write a report of the incident for my agency, a mandentory requirement.

I ask the Mrs (jokingly of course) why she had to ruin my fun so quickly. Her response was, "I need night sights".
    I laughed and said" I thought you were just trying to scare them"
    She just gave me that look. I wonder.....
    wmhawth, garyacman, RMS and 5 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a win for the home team. Hopefully they catch stickman and his cowardly comrade
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Sounds like a nice family outing. Criminal bullies have always been among my favorite encounters.
    Tyler11B, First Sgt and oneshot like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Sounds like you did the right thing. And got pretty lucky- "I need night sights". Also that all the guy had was a stick and not a gun.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Yeah, bullies are all they are. All we can figure is they took advantage of that guy and weren't finished when we came along. I was after midnight, noone out at that area, especially in the back woods where we live.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

It's been a long time since I've poked someone. It's often good to go preemptive when you know the situation has already gone bad.

Thumbs up Good

Get the Mrs. a nice set of night sights.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It's been a long time since I've poked someone. It's often good to go preemptive when you know the situation has already gone bad.
    Yeah, me too WHEC. I am paying for it today with 2 swollen hands. Have a nasty little cut on my right middle finger knuckle, and can't completely close my fingers on my left hand. This didn't happen years ago.

Good job and stay safe

Sounds like you done good. And sounds like the wife deserves a new set of night sights for the assist!

How old is your daughter and how did she handle things?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Did your wife try to scare them off, or did she miss? We need to know. By the way, good job on helping the guy on the bike.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Way to go Glockman. Good for you and the Mrs for helping the poor soul out. I hope they caught stick man and his cowardly comrade (as Tyler put it). You done good. Now get your woman some night sights!
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

The older you get, the longer it takes to get back to normal! I'd buy her the night sights!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Gman,
    I learned that lesson, re hands, many years ago (hence my moniker). You need to get you some good 8 oz "driving" gloves. For "driving" off bullies, saves on the hands considerably, not to mention improved effect.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Good on you G-man, sounds like you handled the situation rather well. Sucks about the paperwork, but that is how life goes I guess.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links