1. His shots all hit the bad guy.
2. Bad guy's shots didn't hit anyone.
* Woman with child needs to get out of the line of fire, not stand there with her child ... duh. Let the BG point the gun at the clerks and get your child out of line with the BG.
* Good guy; not only was the child in line of fire of the BG, but if he missed, he had a glass door and whoever is on the outside of it as a background.
* Pure luck that BG's shots didn't hit the woman, the child , or someone.
Good guy may have thought he could put him down quick if he acted and stop him from shooting. You know, the movie version.
He actually may have had a better shot from his chair... wall as a back stop, but... the woman wouldn't get out of the way and just stood there.... duh.