Right move or dumb move? Video attached - Page 3

Right move or dumb move? Video attached

This is a discussion on Right move or dumb move? Video attached within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If we're going down this path, take it from someone who deals with ringing in the ears 24/7... hearing loss doesn't happen overnight, stuff you ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Right move or dumb move? Video attached

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    If we're going down this path, take it from someone who deals with ringing in the ears 24/7... hearing loss doesn't happen overnight, stuff you do now can effect you later down the road.

Trust me, it sucks... and there's no cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    If we're going down this path, take it from someone who deals with ringing in the ears 24/7... hearing loss doesn't happen overnight, stuff you do now can effect you later down the road.

Trust me, it sucks... and there's no cure.
    Yeah, but 3 shots isn't going to cause permanent hearing damage.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    To the developing babies ear? Don't be so sure.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    whats better, deaf or dead? The clerk obviously showed he had some kind of professional training in the way he moved behind the other employee to draw, came up in a traditional weaver stance and fired three shots rapidly all hitting the bad guy. not to mention the way he moved out to the door to cover the bad guy and was bobbing and weaving the whole way, thats training not luck. This guy was probably former military, or invested alot of money into CCW classes. Good shooting, good time to take action, he reacted the exact way he should have given his situation. There are many people here who go, well the kid could have gone deaf, he could have hit the woman and baby, he could have missed and killed someone outside. In a combat situation even hand to hand, there is no time to stop and think, there is no time out. This guy realized this and reacted on auto pilot. I sincerely hope for your sake that you don't hesitate before pulling the trigger if the time comes, this guy did not and he should be getting recognized for his quick thinking under pressure
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    A lot of folks don't think the woman with child moved - really? Watch the video again - she moves down the counter probably 5-6 feet. Sure it is not a drop and roll, but she sees what is coming and moves.

The GG uses his coworker well for concealment - not cowardly cover, but to conceal the draw and gun from the BG until his is up and shooting.

The first shots are while BG is at stage right, woman and child move down the counter away from the action and BG makes for the door while GG continues shooting. I can't see enough of the BG at this point to know what he is doing with his weapon. This is the only place I see a possible issue for the GG. If the BG is heading for the door, will an aggressive DA say the threat was over? Maybe. Will he convince a jury? Doubtful, however, if it goes that way, the GG, or his employer will be out some $$$ for legal defense.

I personally don't see the threat being over so long as the BG has his gun and a line of fire. Even if he is moving toward the door, there is no guarantee that he won't take a few parting shots. He has already displayed his criminal intent, so stopping the threat seems reasonable. If I were the DA, I would ring this one up as justifiable.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post

I personally don't see the threat being over so long as the BG has his gun and a line of fire. Even if he is moving toward the door, there is no guarantee that he won't take a few parting shots. He has already displayed his criminal intent, so stopping the threat seems reasonable. If I were the DA, I would ring this one up as justifiable.
    Exactly. Keep sending the copper to encourage perps single pointed intention: Run far away now.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

The shooter was a forum member on a couple of forums I've been on. When this shooting occurred he spent quite some time explaining that his angle was much better than how it looks on the video and that the child was entirely out of the line of fire.
    He also decided to change CC rounds because what he was carrying didn't do their job. I'd have to search to see what he was using (165G gold dot) and what he changed to.

He did good.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    whats better, deaf or dead? The clerk obviously showed he had some kind of professional training in the way he moved behind the other employee to draw, came up in a traditional weaver stance and fired three shots rapidly all hitting the bad guy. not to mention the way he moved out to the door to cover the bad guy and was bobbing and weaving the whole way, thats training not luck. This guy was probably former military, or invested alot of money into CCW classes. Good shooting, good time to take action, he reacted the exact way he should have given his situation. There are many people here who go, well the kid could have gone deaf, he could have hit the woman and baby, he could have missed and killed someone outside. In a combat situation even hand to hand, there is no time to stop and think, there is no time out. This guy realized this and reacted on auto pilot. I sincerely hope for your sake that you don't hesitate before pulling the trigger if the time comes, this guy did not and he should be getting recognized for his quick thinking under pressure
    +1
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I drew a quick top down view of what the view looks like to me. the outside lines are about the extent of his peripheral vision and the inside lines are about his focus. The middle line is obviously the line of sight. It looks like the door is probably more than 6ft right of the clerk. He also appears to be right handed but left-eye dominant.

gruntingfrog and Spidey2011 like this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hkchris View Post
    The shooter was a forum member on a couple of forums I've been on. When this shooting occurred he spent quite some time explaining that his angle was much better than how it looks on the video and that the child was entirely out of the line of fire.
    He also decided to change CC rounds because what he was carrying didn't do their job. I'd have to search to see what he was using (165G gold dot) and what he changed to.

He did good.
    Do you know if he was charged or if the cops/DA called it justified?

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I think given the video the male clerk did just fine! Everyone is still alive, the BG is on the ground and no longer a threat. That's the whole idea of self-defense.
    I agree!:yup

Unfortunately we do not get to pick the situations in which dirtbag choose to bring us harm...we must act with speed and violence when confronted...this banker did just that...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    I drew a quick top down view of what the view looks like to me. the outside lines are about the extent of his peripheral vision and the inside lines are about his focus. The middle line is obviously the line of sight. It looks like the door is probably more than 6ft right of the clerk. He also appears to be right handed but left-eye dominant.

Interesting. It would appear I was wrong on my initial assessment. I recant my statements.

RKM
    I have ringing in my left ear from shooting 50 rounds on .22LR two years ago without hearing protection. It's better than being dead.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    That's a tough call to second-guess without knowing all of the facts. What was the BG saying & how exactly was he acting? Had they encountered this guy before? The list goes on...

I might have suggested that the lady take the child off the counter before engaging to reduce their exposure, but again, without knowing all of the details it is very hard to second guess.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    I might have suggested that the lady take the child off the counter before engaging to reduce their exposure, but again, without knowing all of the details it is very hard to second guess.
    That might have telegraphed your coming move to the BG. I am not so sure about your suggestion.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links