Right move or dumb move? Video attached - Page 4

Right move or dumb move? Video attached

This is a discussion on Right move or dumb move? Video attached within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ksholder A lot of folks don't think the woman with child moved - really? Watch the video again - she moves down ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Right move or dumb move? Video attached

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    A lot of folks don't think the woman with child moved - really? Watch the video again - she moves down the counter probably 5-6 feet. Sure it is not a drop and roll, but she sees what is coming and moves.
    I think what people are questioning is why she didn't move immediately to get her child out of harm's way when an armed robber came in waving a gun around. She doesn't move until shots are fired.

The answer is that many people freeze in threatening confrontations until there is a stimulus that makes the danger tangible. For her, it was the BANG. It's a really good piece of information to keep in your mind. Don't expect bystanders to move out of your way (they may even move in your way) before shots are fired. Instead, you need to plan on moving appropriately to maintain a clear lane to the attacker.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Actions can get you and/or others killed, inaction can get you and/or others killed. This guy made a damn important decision and followed through. He covered his draw and connected 100% of attempted shots. He done real good. Bad guy is down and out. If in same situation, I would hope I would do the same.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Absolutely stunned at the skillset that this gentleman showed when it was needed. I can only imagine the number of hours he had put in preparing for this moment in his life.

Everything in life has a certain amount of risk involved. Its easy for us to quarterback this but at the same time we all may very well have a different set of launch codes. Evidently the set of events that had taken place unlocked this gentlemen's lock codes, etc. It would appear then in order for us to judge this event, we would have to judge his launch codes and I'm not sure if we're qualified to judge another's launch codes given that we have different consequences we're willing to accept for our actions.

My comments assume ethical behavior, etc. I'm not assuming that ethics is relative but that's another conversation for another time.

As far as putting the baby in danger, the BG did this as soon as he entered the building with a gun with intent to do harm regardless as to if it was a real threat or implied threat.

It would be naive to say that there wasn't any chance involved when the GG decided to take his shots. At the same, however, there's a difference in taking a risk as opposed to taking a calculated risk. We talk about training on here a lot and although no amount of training is going to reduce our risks to "0", it can reduce the risks we take, etc.

DCG

Senior Moderator
    I posted this in another thread to prove a point, but I want the group to weigh in on this video. I think it was reckless use of a concealed handgun

I agree.
    Some punk enters a building wearing a mask and he draws his concealed handgun when entering with the intent to commit a robbery, is indeed very reckless use. Shouting commands at gunpoint is reckless. Pointing a gun at someone is reckless, rude and very impolite.

The clerk did what many will criticize for years to come...he acted. He responded to force with force and he won. There will always be those that criticize the actions of another and second guess what they did not experience.

The only thing that really matters in the end is that the clerk is still alive. The bystanders are still alive.They go about their daily lives free to do as they please. That is a WIN.
    The bad-guy? I sincerely hope that his body provided food for the worms and beetles.
    Guantes likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

I agree.
    Some punk enters a building wearing a mask and he draws his concealed handgun when entering with the intent to commit a robbery, is indeed very reckless use. Shouting commands at gunpoint is reckless. Pointing a gun at someone is reckless, rude and very impolite.

The clerk did what many will criticize for years to come...he acted. He responded to force with force and he won. There will always be those that criticize the actions of another and second guess what they did not experience.

The only thing that really matters in the end is that the clerk is still alive. The bystanders are still alive.They go about their daily lives free to do as they please. That is a WIN.
    The bad-guy? I sincerely hope that his body provided food for the worms and beetles.
    Unfortunately, the BG survived. Two rounds over penetrated, and one stuck in his shoulderblade. He's now serving a six year term, which is over next year. Offender Details

I did find the comments that the clerk posted afterward, but I forgot what forum they were on. If I can find them again, I'll post them.

VIP Member
    This video has been up for a while and it does show how fluid a decision to act can be. I watched the clip again and I still can’t find anything wrong with how the office dog handled it. Just yesterday I was looking at Glocks’ by accident so maybe this posting is an omen.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

How do I watch the video "attachment"?

bad guy got what he had coming

Its allways easy to say what someone did wrong.The clerk acted and thats alot more than some arm chair quarter backs can say!
    Come in my store waving a gun and you are asking for a lead sandwich

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    That's a tough call to second-guess without knowing all of the facts. What was the BG saying & how exactly was he acting? Had they encountered this guy before? The list goes on...

I might have suggested that the lady take the child off the counter before engaging to reduce their exposure, but again, without knowing all of the details it is very hard to second guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    That might have telegraphed your coming move to the BG. I am not so sure about your suggestion.
    As acknowledged, not knowing how the BG was acting doesn't allow for a complete analysis.

That said, showing concern for the child might be expected by the BG as well as to possibly serve as a misdirect, allowing a better drop on the BG while removing the child to some degree from the line of fire.

I'm not sure that the GG trusting his ability to handle & fire his weapon so close to the child was the wisest course of action, even in hindsight. I'm sure the GG's field of vision narrowed considerably, making the mother/child combo near invisible.

We are playing armchair quarterback, no? That was my play...
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links