The hostage situation - Page 2

The hostage situation

This is a discussion on The hostage situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hkchris Talk crap. Shoot the hostage first. Let him know he's dealing with crazy! I thought about a situation where you basically ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The hostage situation

Quote Originally Posted by Hkchris View Post
    Talk crap. Shoot the hostage first. Let him know he's dealing with crazy!
    I thought about a situation where you basically scare the BG into pointing the gun at you instead of the hostage and catching him in the transition. Something like, "You better point that m#$%@#-f$#%&#g gun at me because I'm the one that's gonna f%$&$%g kill you!!!" except maybe better. The problem is people are so d#mn unpredictable.

I do stand by my point that once you've fired, whether you hit the BG, miss him, or hit your loved one, keep shooting and put the BG on the ground. I also say you DO NOT give up your firearm.

Depends,Is my wife filing for divorce,how much Life Insurance is involved,
    Seriously I been alive 53 years and AFAIK all the people I know and or have met in that amount of time has never been taken hostage,usually most hostage situations may involve an armed robbery gone bad,and the BG holding employees and patrons hostage.In that case there are many factors that can dictate my response,how many BG's and how long I wanta play hostage
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I do stand by my point that once you've fired, whether you hit the BG, miss him, or hit your loved one, keep shooting and put the BG on the ground. I also say you DO NOT give up your firearm.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, and again I refer to Charlton Heston; "From my cold dead hands"
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Hkchris View Post
    Talk crap. Shoot the hostage first. Let him know he's dealing with crazy!
    It worked for Keyser Soze
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

In the last Die Hard Bruce Willis, as a hostage, shot both himself and and the crook with the same round. I'll pass on that one.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I think honestly that the chances of facing this are extraordinarily remote. However, there is the horrible case of the doctor and his family with the house set on fire by the two invaders - but the doctor himself was a hostage until the last moment when he crawled away, injured, for help (and the authorities didn't get there in time). So as a tactic exercise for contemplation here's my response:

Get Out If At All Possible - if it's a hostage situation it's for some purpose that the victims are being held, not for immediate killing. If they are killed, the BG is vulnerable. So away if you can - Then it's 911. For most anything besides SELF-Defense where no help is available, I think anything involving the lives of others has a better chance of ending without loss of innocent life with professionals handling it in force. They are trained to meet all sorts of situations beyond just those requiring private self-defense acts, which is all I know about and even for that have no live experience - thank the heavens. Especially for hostages situations which are very, very complicated and often need multiple trained professionals from different areas of expertise. If I can't get out - then I guess do everything to co-operate and keep us all alive until God willing there is an opportunity to change the situation, or help comes from someone outside who notices something odd and calls police - beyond that I have no answers. -- Maybe try to create some subtle signal to neighbors that everything is not as it should be? But even that would be dicey. Dunno.........

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    As far out as this sounds, there is some twisted logic to it. Letting them leave with a loved one is a no win situation. But, as already stated, the psycological, and emotional stress will be overwhelming. You have to keep in mind that the hostage is a tool of manipulation preying upon your emotions for the victim.

The only way to win this is by making it clear that even if he does kill the hostage, he will die, and it will be a slow and painful death. You have got to psychological remove his leverage so that it is he who feels it's a losing proposition for him.

If you can't do this, by far leave it to professionals.
    I completely agree.

If the perp takes wife hostage, he has some sticky value for his life. He wants a hostage for leverage.

Trade his life for wifes. Fully commit to letting him know he dies if hurts wife. He dies right here, right now.

Or he trades his life for wife and lives.

If you drop your gun, you risk he kills you both or worse.

Essentially, you flip the situation and take the power: his life becomes your hostage.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

I would look to see if my 80s cop movie partner is with me, take the shot and then fire off a witty one liner.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    I'd use the John Wayne movie quote from Big Jake, which is my phone ringer:
    "Now you understand....anything happens, anything at all......your fault, my fault, nobody's fault.....I'm gonna blow your head off....its as simple as that"

seriously, she ain't leavin with him, she knows that and I know that, she will go limp/base herself, bend/twist duck her head down, grab and twist his junk, whatever it takes to assist me with a better shot and/or distract him....cause she ain't leavin with him; I will make that known to him

I practice head shots on limited targets at the range regularly, in fact, we do it at work in our quals every 6 months at our training days too, setup mobile target stands behind the main targets and practice shooting from different angles side to side as well as kneeling, etc
    did I mention she ain't leavin with him?
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I would simply wait.
    My wife would immediately start nagging the guy about how he's doing it all wrong and in no time he would release her and move on.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Campbell and Hettinger provided a solemn lesson on the hazards of giving up your gun.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    I would simply wait.
    My wife would immediately start nagging the guy about how he's doing it all wrong and in no time he would release her and move on.

LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Campbell and Hettinger provided a solemn lesson on the hazards of giving up your gun.
    +!
    good one gloves

for those that don't know the story:
    http://www.copthetruth.com/cop_the_t..._of_lapd_.html
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Bark'n: I agree with many of your comments. We all can come up with "what ifs" but some, as much as you can argue are possible, are really very remote. IMO, situational awareness, as has been mentioned and discussed many times, is the key in the first place. How do you end up in a hostage situation with your wife and child being taken and you are there can be demonstrated but it is just a remote possibility--that does not mean you can make light of such a situation but spending more time worrying about where you go, when you go, and how you pay attention to things everyday will go a lot farther for many other "what if" possibilities, including this thread's scenario than predetermining your actions god forbid it should happen--as if you can predetermine your actions as you find yourself in probably the most stressful and dynamic situation that you will ever face.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I and my family were in a situation this past year (due to my work), where we had to consider this scenario as distinctly within the realm of possibility. It was NOT comfortable and was a very stressful period. During this particular time frame, I went to Front Sight. The very last training exercise was to take one of those "Hostage Taker" targets--we took a large black magic marker and I wrote my wifes' name across the front of the hostage. Then put 5 rounds thru each hostge takers head from 7 yards. It was a VERY SOBERING exercise--I found my heart beating faster and had to FOCUS. I still have the target hanging in my loft. My family knows (and approves) that I will not take prisoners.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links