Really glad to be carrying, for the first time

This is a discussion on Really glad to be carrying, for the first time within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me preface this by saying that no, you don't get the luxury of seeing danger coming in every scenario, but there are surely situations ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By adric22
  • 1 Post By gwhall57

Thread: Really glad to be carrying, for the first time

Let me preface this by saying that no, you don't get the luxury of seeing danger coming in every scenario, but there are surely situations that you can sense things slowly sliding from borderline uncomfortable to really off. Wisdom (and the law in most states) seems to dictate that we remove ourselves from the bad situations, and not try to weather them needlessly. With that out of the way...

When was the first time that you felt suddenly exposed, at risk, and you were genuinely relieved by the fact that you were carrying?

This weekend I was hunting for some lawn equipment for sale on craigslist. It was an idyllic, sunny but slightly cool evening and not quite dusk. I was a few miles out of the city, driving through almost-farm-country hunting for the address of a guy selling an edger. I pulled into the driveway, and followed it back around the side of the house, and parked.

I hopped out of the van and rang the side door bell, and waited. There was no sign of anyone being home, and the garage door windows were oddly papered over, as were the outbuilding windows. Glancing around a bit without being too nosy, the house was winterized and all of the windows were covered quite carefully with curtains, and the house was a bit secluded; there was quite a bit of shrubbery and tree growth blocking the house from the road.

The sense of not-quite-right was growing rapidly, and I had a moment of concern that maybe it was a vacant home being used to lure people in to rob them. Not full bore "get out, go now" alarm, but I headed back to the van and got it turned around and called the seller to see where he was.

It turned out well, the guy just bought the house and was a nice younger guy selling off some rental property lawn care stuff. He pulled in a minute after I called him, and the transaction was smooth. For perhaps three minutes, I was very glad I was armed, and I was on my toes and keeping my eyes open.

What is your story?

TVJ
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

I was riding with a guy in his truck,we were in San Antonio Tx and he got a flat tire,he was determined to get the tire fixed before we left town to head home,about 230 miles South.It's getting dark,It's Sunday evening and he's trying to find a tire shop that is open.Next thing I know we are in the "HOOD",he pulls up next to a couple hood rats and asks if they know where an open tire shop is,they reply"YOU SURE YOU DON'T WANT SOME CRACK",I said yup pretty sure,he then proceeds to pull up at a stop and rob and parks to go inside and ask,I got a really bad feeling and see a couple guys kinda eyeballing me,that is when Mr. Colt left his holster and slid under my leg.Dipstick came out and I asked him if he always went around with his head up his crack feeling 10 foot tall and bullet proof.Last time I will ever put myself in that kinda crap.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Glad things worked out OK for you. I, personally, would have gotten back in my truck and left immediately! In fact, I wouldn't have gotten out of my truck in the first place! That house had all the appearance of a meth lab or drug house from the descriptions I have read in the newspaper and things I have seen on TV. And given the number of robberies and a recent murder in Dayton of people who were responding to Craigslist ads, I would have met in a public place with lots of people around or found some place else to buy an edger. Just sayin, better safe than sorry. Too risky replying to an ad and going to someone's out of the way house!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    Glad things worked out OK for you. I, personally, would have gotten back in my truck and left immediately! In fact, I wouldn't have gotten out of my truck in the first place! That house had all the appearance of a meth lab or drug house from the descriptions I have read in the newspaper and things I have seen on TV. And given the number of robberies and a recent murder in Dayton of people who were responding to Craigslist ads, I would have met in a public place with lots of people around or found some place else to buy an edger. Just sayin, better safe than sorry. Too risky replying to an ad and going to someone's out of the way house!
    I hear ya there. I had a few conversations with the seller before I drove out, and my impression of him was very positive. If he'd sounded even a little bit shady, I would have been on my way at first glance over the property. The combination of the positive phone conversations, the extremely small amount of cash involved, and my general impression of the neighborhood all lumped together brought me to the decision to not bolt immediately. My gut told me that the guy himself was a-ok, and I was right.

All in all, craigslist doesn't worry me much. I've had friends come along as my wingman when I'm dealing with more cash, and public places for things that are fairly portable or expensive. I've probably gone out and bought things at individual homes a dozen times in the past year or so alone. Only once did I go to an area I shouldn't have, and wouldn't again go there - and it was largely due to the conversations I had with the seller that prompted me to do it.

VIP Member
    Actually, just last weekend I pulled up to a gas station on the motorcycle around dusk, and noticed a jeep parked at the back of the lot, next to a dumpster with two young guys sitting in it, facing the pumps.

As I'm putting my credit card in the pump (wallet out, of course), I hear the jeep start up and they're rolling at an angle that would pin me and the bike against the pump with HUGE grins on their faces. Now I can see these are not normal dudes (scabby meth-face syndrome). I didn't realize it, but I had placed my hand under my shirt on the G26 I had AIWB, and my weak hand was just below the hem of my shirt, ready to rip. The smile left the drivers face and he poked on the brakes. He put it in reverse, backed up and left out of the side entrance. Apparently his SA was as good as mine.

VIP Member
    Once I was eating in a Taco Bell parking lot when a fight between two guys and a homeless man ensued. They were fighting right outside the door of my truck, just inches away from me. I thought these guys were going to kill the homeless guy but he turned out to be quicker than I thought (he was about 35 yrs old). I wound down my window and said "The cops are on the way" or words to that effect. This caused the two aggressors to look at me in a not nice way. I thought oops, that was stupid. The homeless guy used it for all it was worth and grabbed his back pack and bolted. About two seconds later the BGs took off in their car the other way. I was pretty happy my bluff worked because I didn't even have a cell phone on me at the time. : )
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Only when I stepped on a rattle snake

I guess I can chime in with a story of my own. This was actually almost 10 years ago, shortly after I got my license. My wife was driving and we pulled into our apartment complex. There was a lowered car in front of us that was having trouble getting over the speed bumps. In fact, they kept rolling back off of them after several tries to get over. We had been stuck behind them for quite some time, as there were quite a few speed bumps. Well, when finally we reached a place that we could get around them, my wife peeled out to get around them. Shortly after parking, the lowered car pulls up behind our car, pinning us in. Then 3 really large african males emerged from the vehicle wearing gang looking outfits. They were mad, cracking their knuckles, one of them making a fist and holding the fist in his other hand. They were making remarks about how they were going to tear us to pieces. There was no place for us to run because there was a fence behind us. I put my hand around my back and grabbed the handle of my Glock 19, but did not pull it out. As they came within a foot or two the leader of the group began to curse at me (even though it was my wife that had been driving) and told me he was going to hold me responsible for the actions of my woman. At that moment I actually thought there was a 50% chance I was going to shoot somebody before it was all over. I tried to remain calm, and began to apologize to the man for my woman's behavior and promised him it would not happen again. In the end, he accepted my apology and moved on. It was a very good thing for him that he did accept it, because otherwise his body would have been accepting my bullets. This is certainly a case where diffusing the situation with words actually worked.

Incidentally, I buy and sell on craigslist all of the time. And I am always very glad to have my gun when pulling up to a strangers home.
    electrfy likes this.

Many, many years ago, when I was a teenager, one of my friends and I went out one Saturday to shoot a replica cap and ball 1861 Colt black-powder pistol I had recently purchased at a gun show. We shot all of the powder and balls I had by the early afternoon, then went to a movie. I simply stored the empty pistol under the passenger seat. After the movie, we decided to cruise around talking on my friend's CB radio, and ended up in a little country church parking lot in the middle of nowhere around 10 pm. A car with 2 young ladies and a guy in the front seat drove by, and they pulled over to talk to us. I noticed that there were also 3 guys our age in the back seat, and the guys did not seem too happy to see us. They asked us for directions to the nearest gas station, and then slowly drove off. About a block down the road, we saw the car stop, and the doors opened and all the guys repositioned themselves in the front and the back next to doors. The car then whipped around and sped towards us, with two of the guys hanging out the back windows waving baseball bats and yelling that they were going to kick our a**es. I was standing next to the passenger door, and I reached inside and dug the empty black-powder pistol out from under the seat and turned to point it at the car, which was about 30 feet away by now, and started tracking the driver's area of the windshield with it. I was (apparently) clearly visible in the fast approaching car's headlights, and one of the guys hanging out the back window yelled , "He's got a gun!". Both the guys hanging out the windows ducked back inside and the car flashed by about 10 feet away as I kept tracking it with the empty pistol. They sped up and vanished down the road. While I undoubtedly would not have been killed that night, having that empty black-powder pistol certainly saved me and my friend from getting worked over by 4 guys with baseball bats.
    Erick46590 likes this.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Last year I was out in my jeep in the north east part of Vermont looking for a spot to camp for the weekend. I was about 10 miles from the Canadian border driving a winding road when I saw a sign that said "moose falls state land". Up here state land is free to use for hiking, camping, fishing, hunting etc...it's maintained by tax money and basically your land. I turn into the park and drive a couple miles down a dirt road, theirs a large field on my right where a guy is digging a hole with a bucket loader. He has a ford 150 parked right in the middle of the field next to the bucket loader where he is working. I keep driving down the road and I come to a creek. It looked like it had good camping potential so I pulled the jeep over to the side of the road to walk down and check it out.

Now, I parked two wheels on the grass and two on the edge of the road so if anyone else came down the road they would be able to get by since it was a one lane road. It wasn't what I was looking for and the road was a dead end about another half mile down so I decided to turn around and go look for another spot. I pass the guy in the loader again and when I get to the entrance the gate is locked and closed. These gates are never closed, when Id drove in 15 minutes prior the gate was overgrown and had not been shut in probably years. I get out and theirs a brand new master lock on the gate. So I sat there and considered my options. I had no cell phone service.

So I drove out to where the guy had parked his truck and was digging. Keep in mind Off roading is one of my hobbies and I'm very conscious about the land I drive on. A lot of trails have closed up here because of stupid people driving wherever they want tearing up people land etc.. I carefully followed his truck tracks and stopped by his truck. He turns of the bucket loader looks and me and crosses his arms, he looked pissed.

I politely asked him if he had shut the gate and in his thick french accent he said "yes I did". I asked him if he could open it and let me out and he said nope. I asked him if that was his lock and if he had the key and he said yes. I didn't know what to say, I looked back at my friend in the jeep and was like "***" when I turned back around he had climbed out of the loader and just started screaming at me. "you stupid Americans think you can drive wherever you want and do what you want" "this country is disgusting, theirs garbage everywhere" he just kept going on and on about how he hated Americans and America. He started walking towards me as he was ranting raising his fist so I started slowly walking back toward my jeep and considering my options. At this point I wasn't even listening to what he was saying it was clear he was just looking to hate on someone. I knew I could probably take out my 30k tow strap and rip the gate open pretty easily but I didn't want to do that unless I had to. I could also drive across the field and see if there as a another way out, I had options. I apologized to him and said I didn't understand why he was so upset and he needs to let me out right now. He started yelling again about parking on the grass and I was an American pig just like the rest of them. At this point I had had enough, I said OK then have it your way.

So I climb back in my jeep and before I start it he walks closer and says "you want me to let you out" "give me 50 bucks" I said I don't have any money on me and I'm not paying you to let me out I'll open the gate myself. At this point I cannot believe I was keeping my cool I wanted to demolish this jerk. He then say's what's all that stuff in the back of the truck got anything good? I told him to *%^$ off and have a nice day and started the jeep. He then moves quickly toward his truck and says "I have a shotgun in the truck for American pigs like you"

Now in order for me to drive away I had to reverse and there wasn't enough time, he culd easily grab a shotgun and unload before I could even get the jeep in gear and with the top and doors off theirs no cover if he decided to shoot. My heart started racing and I put my hand on my .357 which was IWB and I said to myself If I see the butt of a gun come out of that truck I'm going to shoot this guy.

He runs over to the truck and just stops at the door and stares me down. I quickly see my window and reverse and peel out across the field There was no way out unless I wanted to plow through a large fence so I cruised around for a while along the fence line and as I was coming back around about 10 minutes later I see him driving away from the gate back to his bucket loader and the gate was open. I left, went to the nearest gas station and called the local PD and told them what happened. They said they would head out there and check it out. I left my number with them and they said if they needed me they would call, never heard anything about it again.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Me and the family went to Myrtle Beach to a campground a year or so ago. Got there late, unpacked the truck, and needed to go to the grocery store. I went alone in my truck to a Super Wally World not far from the campground. That place was packed with more people at 11:00 pm than I've ever seen in one place. I'm there for an eternity, got a buggy packed full of stuff for the week, check out, and head to my truck. It's a Chevy 4x4 crew cab with camper shell, tinted windows, and chrome wheels...decent looking ride. I had the park lights on so I could turn on the camper light in the back. I put all the bags in the back and turn to take the buggy to the return right across the way (25 feet or so). When I turn around, a ratty looking van with two young foreign guys in it pull up quick and stop between me and my truck. The driver is looking at me with the most unusual grin and look as the guy on the passenger side is getting out. I reach into my shorts pocket and lift the snubnosed .38 up so it was apparent what was in there. He shouted something in another language and the other guy jumped back in and they took off. I'm not sure if they were going to grab a few bags of groceries or if they thought my truck was running and wanted to steal it. I jumped in my truck and took off. I had to get gas, so I stopped on down the street at a gas station on the opposite side. The pay at the pump was messed up and I had to go in to get a receipt. When I came out, that same van and two guys were rolling through the drive of the gas station slowly giving me the stink eye. I just slipped my hand into my pocket and stood there...they took off. I got in my truck and took an unusual route back to the campground just in case they were following me. Luckily, nothing ever came of it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    well, we have heard that it works with 4 legged and 2 legged critters. you maintain SA and radiate strong Alpha waves and creatures in tuned with violance
    pick up on it. sure saves a lot of ammo from being fired and the resulting paperwork.
    its the part where you have made up your mind to shoot that often you don't have to.

Mindset, Skillset, Toolset
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

i was 19, she was 17, we were "camping" at a little lake, doin what you do when you are 17 and 19, it was dark 30, a pick-up pulled up about 30 foot from our tent and was reving his motor lights on bright so i couldn't see much, no handgun, but i pulled out my good ol SKS, had the pistol grip in my hand and it was pointing at the ground, he rever her up again, so i racked a round and took aim just above the lights and told my lady friend that if he moves towards us, i'm gonna unload on him and that she should run, the truck backed up and left and needeless to say we went a found a new "camping" spot

Me, my dad, and my brother stopped at a gas station quite a few years back in a little town near where my dad works. I was probably 14 or so, and my brother was around 11. It was during the middle of the day and there was a handful of other people around, mostly in the convenience store. As my dad finished up pumping the gas, my brother and I ran the money in to the cashier and were on our way back to the truck when this ratty looking guy in his 50s or so pulled up between us and the truck and started screaming at my dad. He didn't see me and my brother. He was clearly hammered and wasn't making any sense. My dad, who was not carrying at the time, yelled to me and my brother to stop and not cross in front of his truck. As the guy continued to scream at him, he reached into our truck and pulled his axe handle out and held it where the man could see it. Suddenly the man became very apologetic (still clearly not knowing what the heck he was saying) and threw his truck into park. At that point, my dad yelled for us to quickly cross and we bugged out and reported it to the police. Looking back, I don't know what Dad could have done with the axe handle had that guy decided to start mowing people over, but luckily it was enough to make the guy blink.

Like I said, that was a long time ago. Today both me and my dad carry regularly.
    Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.

- Andrew Fletcher 1698

Sponsored Links