How to balance child safety with intruder preparedness? - Page 3

How to balance child safety with intruder preparedness?

This is a discussion on How to balance child safety with intruder preparedness? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Minnesota this would be a gross misdemeanor, have you checked your state laws? Originally Posted by BugDude I sleep with a properly holstered firearm ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How to balance child safety with intruder preparedness?

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    In Minnesota this would be a gross misdemeanor, have you checked your state laws?

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I sleep with a properly holstered firearm under my body pillow that I lean on while I sleep (pointed away, towards an outside wall). When I am awake, my firearm is on me and the ones not being carried are locked in a safe. There is no way that my kids (9 and 2) could get me off the pillow to access my firearm without waking me up. My cat walking down the hall wakes me up at night. I have considered some type of holster mounted at the top of the bed between the headboard and matress right behind my pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    In Minnesota this would be a gross misdemeanor, have you checked your state laws?
    Mind posting the statute? I'm curious as to how that could possibly be worded.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Y'all: Many comments about "childproofing" etal. Personally, as I have already replied, children are called children for a reason and up to a certain age (not sure what that age should be--perhaps 10+) I do not like the idea of having to inject the thought of a firearm as self defense into their minds. Many of you live in rural areas and whether it is for self defense or hunting, you "grew up" with firearms and feel familiar with them and see no reason to change your view on same---I did not nor have I ever had a reason to even own a firearm so I cannot really relate to your positive views on explaining to children say 3-9 years old why daddy has a firearm, what it can do to people, and why they should not touch it or, if so inclined, how to touch it and how to handle it. I just hope that y'all realize that no matter what you say, you are saying it to a child and, by definition, it will not be processed the way you think it will be. Think 100% safety when it comes to the child and if that comes into competition with home defense--so be it.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I just hope that y'all realize that no matter what you say, you are saying it to a child and, by definition, it will not be processed the way you think it will be.
    Exactly. Children exhibit "magical thinking." They'll link things and process things in ways we cannot even begin to imagine, as adults.

So we have to filter for them, and show them the way as they demonstrate to us their readiness and comprehension.

And even then, they cannot be trusted, 100%, simply because they are children.

Quote Originally Posted by Advilean View Post
    adric22 I'm not sure what kind of new biometric safe you're considering but I just wanted to say I'm currently in the process of looking for one as I want to purchase my first handgun. I found this one on amazon and it seems to be pretty good. It doesn't have a tone of features and aside from the annoying beep it makes when you open it I think for the price point, it can't be beat (from what I've found thus far).
    That one looks okay. I imagine it would not be hard to disable the "beeping" as long as you can get access to the circuit board. I have modified many electronics items to be beep-free over the years, including many battery backup units that were constantly annoying with their incessant beeping. Just have to find the little speaker and chop it off or desolder it.

My only issue with that one is, from what I can tell, is battery powered only? I definitely want one that has two power sources so the chances of a no-power situation are very low.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    Mind posting the statute? I'm curious as to how that could possibly be worded.
    Sure, I'll post it again... (it's on page 1 as well):
    It is a gross misdemeanor to intentionally or recklessly cause
    a child under the age of 14 to be placed in a situation likely
    to substantially harm the child’s physical health or cause the
    child’s death as a result of the child’s access to a loaded
    firearm. It is also a gross misdemeanor to negligently store
    or leave a loaded firearm in a location where the person
    knows or should know that a child under the age of 18 is
    likely to gain access, unless reasonable steps are taken to
    secure the firearm against access by the child.
    I have doubts that 'a loaded firearm under my pillow while I sleep' would be regarded as reasonable steps to secure the firearm against access by a child. There are way too many 'what ifs' if this scenario.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I have never believed that showing a kid somehow mystically and magically makes that kid's interest in firearms diminish. Heck it had the exact opposite effect on me.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ It really depends on the child - different people are just different.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links