Wanna buy a brand new camcorder?

This is a discussion on Wanna buy a brand new camcorder? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Coming back from Dallas yesterday I got quite a bit lower on gas than I would like to have. I stopped at the first station ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Wanna buy a brand new camcorder?

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Wanna buy a brand new camcorder?

Coming back from Dallas yesterday I got quite a bit lower on gas than I would like to have. I stopped at the first station I could in the dead area of Arkansas on interstate 40 between little rock and Memphis. First thing I notice is the only people there look shady as can be. Go to pay at the pump to get out of dodge and the machine is broke,
    decide to use the atm and pay with cash and it was broke too. Made arrangements with the clerk to let me pump without prepaying and went back out. As I started pumping a guy approached me and asked where in Ohio I am from. I just said central. He was dressed in jeans and a heavy jacket carrying a backpack, that struck me as odd since it was nearly 95 degrees by the temp gauge in the van.

I had two 6 year old boys standing by me and my keys in my hand and he kept staring is up and down. He finally asked if I wanted to buy a brand new camcorder in which I responded with a stiff no and keeping my boys behind me. He still kept looking hard and the pump stopped and we went in (after making it obvious I set the alarm on the car) to pay and when we went out I did not see him again but a guy that pulled in and was pumping gas after me asked me if some guy tried to sell me a camcorder as he tried the game on him.

At no time did I feel I was going to need my firearm yet I found that my hand resting on my hip near my concealed glock, I don't remember putting it there yet it found its way on its own, the keys were in the other hand with one large key between my index and ring finger incase I had to fight (it will leave a mark). I won't say I was in yellow but I was not in full orange either. I think he got the idea I was not going to be a victim, or he was actually selling a camcorder and my spidey since are off, I have no clue but I was not wanting to find out.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Nope, I don't want to buy one.

But, it sounds like you handled the situation well, sounds like a bad place to be with no working card reader on the gas pump or working ATM. Glad you had a safe trip.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    He probably was going to sale you a camcorder. It was probably so hot you'd have third degree burns on your hand from it!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I agree.

I hardly ever carry cash when traveling since its easy to cancel cards and get replacements.

Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    He probably was going to sale you a camcorder. It was probably so hot you'd have third degree burns on your hand from it!
    I have had guys in truck stops try to sell me laptops also; don’t carry asbestos gloves so passed up on the “deals”.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

That could very well have been an interview. I usually do not let those shady looking individuals near me. When they head in my direction, they quickly find out how unfriendly I become...most turn and go back under the rocks they come from...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Question, "Hey you want to buy a new camcorder?"

Answer, "Hell, I'm not even sure how I'm going to pay for the gas I pumped, wanna buy a watch?"

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post

Answer, "Hell, I'm not even sure how I'm going to pay for the gas I pumped, wanna buy a watch?"
    Too funny

Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

This is good.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    It's a classic interview technique. Don't buy it (the come on). You did the right thing. IMO, it's better to be rude and thought an A-hole and apologize later than to appear to be an easy mark and let this guy get close to you.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    It's a classic interview technique. Don't buy it (the come on). You did the right thing. IMO, it's better to be rude and thought an A-hole and apologize later than to appear to be an easy mark and let this guy get close to you.
    Never thought of it as an interview

Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

VIP Member
    That is one interview you don't want to pass. Glad you made it through and hopefully are safely back in OH now.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I would say you handled it well. I would have politely informed him that I was not interested and that I had to be leaving shortly.

I like this one

Administrator
    I've been getting all kinds of weird offers at gas stations recently. Everything from watches, camera's TV's and stereos. Even drugs. Just this last Friday I was propositioned by a young lady trying to make a few bucks. Granted, I'm in places I typically wouldn't go, it is odd and can catch you off guard every time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links