The Business Next Door and CC

This is a discussion on The Business Next Door and CC within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a less than reputable business opening next to mine that will essentially be a place where thieves can hock stolen jewelry, no questions ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CR Williams

Thread: The Business Next Door and CC

I have a less than reputable business opening next to mine that will essentially be a place where thieves can hock stolen jewelry, no questions asked. The only positive thing about it that I can come up with is that they will possibly take the focus off my business if someone decides to rob the area again, which has happened to a couple other businesses in the complex.

What bothers me the most though, is when they came in to my place to ask about the general area and what the landlord is like to deal with, I mentioned all the crime and the section 8 housing close by and the one guy says to the other, "Well, I guess we'll have to start carrying" and then leans in likes he's about to tell me classified information about Area 51 and says, "We have our concealed carry permits"......as I am standing there with my Glock 27 in my CB Supertuck. Obviously, I said nothing. They then went on about how they had prayed to God and he had told them this was the business they needed to be in and that God will protect him and so on......

So, I've got a high risk business next door separated by nothing by drywall and paper thin metal studs that will be manned by a guy that felt it wasn't important enough to be carrying his weapon until a guy he had never met before told him the area wasn't exactly crime free and he thinks he will be protected from harm by talking to the almighty sky wizard. My lease isn't up for another 2 years if I have to get out of here.

Body armor time? Find out what he carries and buy him a box of frangible rounds?
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

VIP Member
    Ugh. I had a tenant (in North Augusta), who specialized in buying gold, recently fold up his tent stakes and move on. It wasn't that that business wasn't good, it was he was tired of the close calls. He stayed armed, but realized that it was just a matter of time before it was going to hit the fan.

I'd be moving book cases, safes, and everything else that I could think of up against that adjoining wall. Or (if it's not too late) maybe contact the landlord, rent his place out too and expand your business?

If you deem the threat sufficient, nothing wrong with body armor if local statutes and your business attire permit it.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Maybe time to put up some shelves along that wall. Thick, heavy, shelves. Thick, heavy, metal shelves. With thick, heavy, objects put on them.

Body armor too.
    Spade115 likes this.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

I agree something to seperate you and him would be the best invest in some good sturdy metal shelves. Safer then sorry.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I may be wrong but I think they actually have bullet proof fiberglass wall layers that can be painted. Not sure how cost effective it may be though.

I used to think heavy metal shelves were good protection too...that was until my FFL dealer showed me what happened to him some years ago. Some guy had a ND with a pistol in there. The round pierced the front wall of his safe and fell to the bottom midway between metal plates. And this was an old, big double door safe. The round is still there to this day and he keeps a picture over the entrance hole. Now I'm not saying don't keep metal shelves with heavy stuff on them as some protection. I'm saying don't let that give you a false sense of security. I would never have thought a pistol round had that kind of energy before seeing it with my own eyes.

FWIW, Oklahoma law allows anyone to wear body armor if they like, the only provision is that if you do so during the commission of a felony, your penalties go up. Not saying your state laws are the same, but it's worth looking into. I can't imagine Georgia would be too different.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Penetrating the wall will slow a bullet a little bit (take some of the umph out of it), if you had a shelf system up, full of books, this may help. Of course your place would look like Barnes and Noble then. LOL

I like the idea of moving file cabinets, and such against that wall. As long as you cover from head height down, you're good to go. If a round comes through above head level, at least it won't hit you (unless it then ricochets).

I also like the idea of some sort of bullet proof material to put on the wall and paint. Cost ? Who knows?

Good luck with the new neighbors. It sounds like they aren't the brightest bulbs in the pack.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

These two guys were straight of something like a redneck noir film. The "brains" was a small skinny guy and his companion was the thick muscle, complete with Neanderthal brow, who would man the front.

I've considered covering the back of my work bench with some 1/4" steel plating as it is free standing and would provide a little protection for the majority of the time I am in the store. Of course, that doesn't help anyone else. Given the almost daily murders that are happening in Augusta now, things aren't looking good anywhere.

I can't afford to outfit that wall with anything that would actually provide adequate protection as its a good 70 feet long and I already have fairly expensive slat board along it.....hey, there's a little more protection I forgot about
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Sponsored Links