Drew entering my apartment yesterday... - Page 2

Drew entering my apartment yesterday...

This is a discussion on Drew entering my apartment yesterday... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by babarock You did fine and kept your wits about you. My only question is did you have any second thoughts about clearing ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Drew entering my apartment yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    You did fine and kept your wits about you. My only question is did you have any second thoughts about clearing the apartment by yourself? Considering all the circumstances and I've always heard clearing a house is a high risk activity, I might have considered backing away and calling for backup.
    Bingo.

If you think there might be someone in your home, the best bet is to get out of there, call the police, and let them (with long guns, body armor, back up and dogs) do it.

Your sidearm is for getting out of trouble, NOT for going looking for it.

Sure, you might get a ribbing from the officers and your friends, but...better than the alternative.

My wife came home once to a wide open front door - which she swore she locked when she left. She did the right thing - drove away and called the police. They came and cleared the house with a team, weapons drawn...nothing. She was probably distracted by the baby when she left earlier and had forgotten to lock the door. Still, she did the right thing.

Clearing a home by yourself is very dangerous - it is a task best done by a team. Your priority should have been getting your wife out of there.

Glad it turned out well - consider yourself lucky.
    babarock likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Don't underestimate the deadly properties of a brain-freeze. That frosty beverage could inflict a mortal wound on an offending trespasser.

Sent from my phone
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    paint ball games at some areas in Penn and upstate NY are quite intense; reality driven.
    in recent years many young people with that background who have taken SD classed with me seem to have good gun handling skills already.

seems like you had multiple learning points from one event. good job.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I'm still not sure why you would clear a building by yourself if no threat to life was present. You got lucky. There wasn't a bad guy or two or three in the house. You THINK you have the self training to handle a situation that could have just as easily cost you and your wife your lives.

All it takes is one bad guy with a gun being not where you'd expect and you lose. Even if you get the drop on one, what about his partner(s) that are elsewhere and armed?

If you honestly feel that there is a chance that there is someone inside your residence when you return home and none of your family is supposed to be inside, play the game and call 911 and let them take care of it. All the Hero points for clearing your own home can be erased by one bad guy that has no qualms about shooting.

1. Congratulations on the marriage.

2. Apartments and new (or new to you) homes all have their quirks. Doors and latches are one of the first things I used to check when moving in to new digs. As to security, well I've lived in a few apartments where the front door was only a half step up from an interior hollow core.

3. I wonder:

What were your original initial "feelings" when you first discovered the door pushing open?
    Was it hair-raising/adrenaline-flowing? (I understand you had the immediate reaction of going for your weapon... But did you sense that something was really wrong... or did you, at some level, feel that everything was okay?)

While I agree with those that suggest that we call for the pros to do the house sweep, I may not have called them either, if I FELT that everything was okay, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

If, on the other hand, I really FELT... like "someone was in there" I think the hair on my neck would have stood up a bit, and I would have gone into a different "mode."

I've been in two situations before, not quite at the extremes of the possibilities... Had a house break in... where I FELT someone had been there long before I could see the actual evidence of their entry, and I was very wary even before I even stepped foot on the porch, but really felt the threat was over, the danger gone and the results were to be discovered.

I've also come home to the door being ajar... after hours away... and yet, I KNEW that nothing was really amiss... no real danger... somehow the door blew open or something... but, there's no danger here...

Both of these occurred when I was much younger, and not carrying. Today, I think I still have those "gut feelings," and my actions-reactions are similar.

In other words, I hope, that had I come home to your situation my reactions would probably have been one of 3 based on the "feelings" at the door.

1. Exactly what you did, drink in hand. FEELING: This is an anomaly, the door shouldn't push open, but I don't really think any one is here or there is no danger. ACTION: I'll clear the house just in case.

2. What you did, without the drink, send the wife out to the car, I'm not back to her in ____ minutes, she's to call 911. FEELING: Someone was here, something's WRONG... But I think the danger is over, they are gone. ACTION: I'll send her to safety, she can call 911 if it goes wrong, I'll START to clear the house... the second I FEEL an escalation in the danger level, I'll back out and join her, we'll call 911 together.

3. Back out... RIGHT NOW, call 911 and wait. FEELING: DANGER... SOMEONE'S HERE, SOMETHING'S WAY WRONG... THIS IS BAA AAD. ACTION: Draw weapon, retreat with care to safety of vehicle... call 911.

I guess I "trust my gut." It hasn't let me down yet. I'm older now, so the "thresholds" for 2 and 3 are a bit lower than they would have been back when I had my "incidents"

Glad it all worked out for you, didn't mean to hijack your thread... but I'm curious if you can relate you gut feeling on discovering the unlatched door.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    What were your original initial "feelings" when you first discovered the door pushing open?

1. Exactly what you did, drink in hand. FEELING: This is an anomaly, the door shouldn't push open, but I don't really think any one is here or there is no danger. ACTION: I'll clear the house just in case.
    It was mostly this. The door pushed open a couple inches, so I finished pushing it open after drawing. Once I started thinking again, I saw the TV was still on the wall and her Macbook still on the desk. So I was suspicious from the start, and once I realized nothing was missing I was mostly curious.

The kitchen and living room are very, very open and there is absolutely no place to hide there. The living room is on the right and the kitchen on the left. It was about the time I peeked into the kitchen I realized nothing was "wrong" and just finished clearing just to do it.

Had there been a sign of forced entry or something amiss I would have called the police, absolutely. But once I got past the initial reaction, I realized that nothing was really "wrong", something just wasn't quite right. I didn't have a huge adrenaline dump - I suspect that would have happened as soon as I found something missing or broken - and it didn't take me too long to calm down afterward at all.

Maybe it still wasn't a great idea to finish clearing, but after the first area I felt like it was OK. It was enough to tell me nothing is seriously wrong here other than the door.

I'll take the lessons on room clearing alone in stride, but the big point for me at the time of posting was that despite clearing my suspicions about 2 seconds later, immediately upon finding something amiss I was able to draw and begin assessing the situation quickly and effectively while my wife stayed out of harm's way waiting to find out what was going on. It was the speed and smoothness of that initial reaction that I was happy about.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I drew down on my neighbors cat once. It happens. (last chance for that garbage thief, next time we see if a Gold Dot in .45acp takes all 9 lives or not!)

a harmless, hungry cat looking for food.............

Use a free trap from your local animal control.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    The kitchen and living room are very, very open and there is absolutely no place to hide there. The living room is on the right and the kitchen on the left. It was about the time I peeked into the kitchen I realized nothing was "wrong" and just finished clearing just to do it.

Maybe it still wasn't a great idea to finish clearing, but after the first area I felt like it was OK. It was enough to tell me nothing is seriously wrong here other than the door.
    Thanks, THAT was what I was looking for

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I'll take the lessons on room clearing alone in stride, but the big point for me at the time of posting was that despite clearing my suspicions about 2 seconds later, immediately upon finding something amiss I was able to draw and begin assessing the situation quickly and effectively while my wife stayed out of harm's way waiting to find out what was going on. It was the speed and smoothness of that initial reaction that I was happy about.
    And that was the good part.

Ever since reading DeBecker's The Gift of Fear, I have tried to stay on top of what my gut is telling me (other than the quantity of brats consumed).

I really do believe that we have the ability to sense danger before we become embroiled in it. That's valuable.

We can't go around in what some call Orange level all the time, unless we're in a war zone. I think (my opinion only) that to do so de-sensitizes you to real danger until you are already in it, like the later stages of the frog in the frying pan.

Thanks for answering.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    a harmless, hungry cat looking for food.............

Use a free trap from your local animal control.
    The cat blew out of my garbage can in the pitch black and it scared me something awful. I thought I was a goner, when I realized what happened I laughed at myself. I wouldn't shoot a cat (can't discharge a firearm in the neighborhood)

Good job handling the situation!

And these days my Sonic drink of choice is a 44 oz orange sprite or raspberry iced tea.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    You did fine and kept your wits about you. My only question is did you have any second thoughts about clearing the apartment by yourself? Considering all the circumstances and I've always heard clearing a house is a high risk activity, I might have considered backing away and calling for backup.
    My thought also.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

The only thing i was going to gig you on was not dropping the drink. Otherwise, i think you did very well.

Congrats on the wedding.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links