A True Story or I should say Stories

This is a discussion on A True Story or I should say Stories within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a true story that involves a relative of mine who survived two separate incidents that threated his life and a possible 3rd as ...

Thread: A True Story or I should say Stories

This is a true story that involves a relative of mine who survived two separate incidents that threated his life and a possible 3rd as well.

The first incident happened about 5 years ago, my relative who I'll just call Joe for the purposes of being able to tell this story easier was a medical student at the time. I would undoubtedly consider him to be intelligent, rather on the quiet side, and I'd say he's a really nice guy.

The incident occurs at his house.

He is resting and sleeping at home after an exhausting day. His house is located in a cul-de-sac in a rural area with forest being the main scenery in the background. He hears a noise downstairs and still drowsy from slumber he goes downstairs to investigate. Downstairs he finds 3 masked men going through the contents of his house.

He thought perhaps it was his wife returning from the hospital (she's a nurse).

The robbers thought the house was empty and nobody was home.

Joe doesn't own a shotgun, he doesn't own any weapon for that matter.

They tackle him, wrestling him to the ground and beat him up. In the process of the confrontation one of the robbers has his mask fall off and Joe see's his face.

Now, Joe is not weak by any standard and his wife was actually afraid of him when they first met because she was rather intimated by him (he's pretty buff I'd say). Still, he's in his boxers, half drowsy, it's 3 guys against him and he has no gun or weapon. He's now tied up and the 3 robbers continue robbing and loading up the car. However, Joe overhears a conversation where one of them says:

"You know we're going to have to kill him, he saw my face."

Joe hearing this starts to try and get is limbs free from the chair he's tied too. He succeeds and while the robbers are busy loading up the car he escapes through the back door. In the backyard he jumps over the 6ft wood fence into some blackberry bushes that only put more cuts on his already bruised & beat up body. He peaks through the fence, not 2 seconds later the 3 armed robbers are in the backyard looking for him. Not finding him they assume he's long gone and scramble to the car and drive off. Joe, not taking any chances, goes through the bushes / forest to his neighbors to get help and they in turn dialed 911.

All 3 guys eventually are later caught, but the third guy, was captured in a police chase. Sadly, in the chase a police officer crashed his patrol car into a concrete divider and was paralyzed for life. I'm telling you this additional information about the officer because while the bad guys were caught, in the end, for some, the repercussions will be a lifetime.

The story doesn't end there however. Fast forward a few years and Joe is now applying to various medical schools all over the country. He is soon flying to various States to medical schools for interviews. The next incident occurs in California in a motel after an interview. Joe is in his motel room resting on his bed reading a book. He randomly decides to take a shower. During this time a boyfriend in the motel room next door shoots and kills his girlfriend. The bullets rain and cut through the wall into Joe's motel room. Had Joe still been laying on the bed resting rather then in the shower he would've been dead as the bullet holes were in direct line with his bed.

Fast forward further in time, Joe is now living in Minnesota with his wife and is going to one of the top medical schools in the country. He's at home and he hear's somebody at the front door. He investigates, it's a man, he's jiggling the handle and he's trying to get in.

What does Joe do? Well he had enough after the second indecent and he's now the owner of a pump action shotgun (recommended by his friends for home defense).

He approaches the door, shotgun in hand and cocks the gun. The burglar hearing the gun, runs. He runs so frantic he's not even going down the driveway. He's just running, running across the yard so fast he's a windmill of legs and within seconds he's at the wood fence and just straight up runs through it, doesn't even try jumping over it.

In the end, I wanted to tell his story because it ends on a good note and I know the news always has the "bad" news covered. I also hope by me telling this story it helps others gain knowledge and courage to become gun owners because 4 walls, locked doors and windows won't save you.

Tell him to buy a lottery ticket. Or 8.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Tell him to buy a lottery ticket. Or 8.
    Or 10. He's one lucky duck to still be breathing after the first instance alone. Though I'm curious as to why he has such bad luck. I'm sure he probably is too, for that matter.

paaiyan

He doesn't have to buy lottery tickets, he's well on his way to becoming a surgeon.

Spidey2011

I've often wondered that too because man, he's either got to be the most unluckiest guy I know or the luckiest depending on how you look at it!

Sponsored Links