Next time I'll just hold it.

This is a discussion on Next time I'll just hold it. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well to answer the question he's not DRT because in Ohio I have a duty to retreat. I stood my ground so I would have ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Next time I'll just hold it.

Well to answer the question he's not DRT because in Ohio I have a duty to retreat. I stood my ground so I would have been in the wrong. If he had advanced more after i drew down on him, he would have had 18 holes in him. He dcided to leave and that was that.

2. Remove Ads

Dang, duty to retreat sucks. Here in OK I could have done all but shoot him in the back as he ran away and I'd have gotten off. Not saying I would have. I'd have given him a chance to save his skin.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

You did good. You are still sucking air, you still have your bad chariot, the c-store likely avoided a robbery, and no one had to die. It would have been better had the BG been caught, but the important thing is your well-being. Like others have said I would probably have stuck around until the police arrived, maybe go inside the store and sit and relax before speaking to them. Hell you might've gotten a complimentary cup of coffee or fountain drink.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by tglassburner View Post
    Well to answer the question he's not DRT because in Ohio I have a duty to retreat. I stood my ground so I would have been in the wrong. If he had advanced more after i drew down on him, he would have had 18 holes in him. He dcided to leave and that was that.
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you did fine based on circumstances and OH law.

And in response to the comment, always shoot first and ask questions later is not the only solution to a situation. If anything I am prone to retreat to much even after I am clearly legal to respond with deadly force. I'm not nearly as bloodthirsty as I perceive your comment tries to paint me. If I mistook your meaning, my apology.

Please don't forget the emotional issues involved in making someone DRT, the legal issues in some states...... you did right. People seem to think they can just kill someone who they feel is a dirtbag and get over it.... I beg to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Please don't forget the emotional issues involved in making someone DRT, the legal issues in some states...... you did right. People seem to think they can just kill someone who they feel is a dirtbag and get over it.... I beg to differ.
    Agreed. In my home is one thing, I have my new wife to think about and would be less likely to take the chance. Out and about though, I'm liable to give someone a chance to turn tail and run. I don't want blood on my hands, even if it is justified, if I can avoid it. That said, If I thought there was too much of a threat to give them that chance, it's over in a heartbeat.
    tglassburner likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

good job, glad you are ok

I have found over the years that the middle of the road has served me well, even whenever I did have to shoot. I am neither reluctant nor anxious to kill someone.
    tglassburner likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Good job. It is always better when everyone walks away.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    While you did good as far as the man with the knife is concerned. I think leaving before the police arrived and filing a report was a mistake. You did nothing wrong and if anything ever came of it, your side would be in the record.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Some times a good ole tree or bush would have done just FINE IMO ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    While you did good as far as the man with the knife is concerned. I think leaving before the police arrived and filing a report was a mistake. You did nothing wrong and if anything ever came of it, your side would be in the record.
    I answered this earlier!

Quote Originally Posted by tglassburner View Post
    I did call the PD and gave them my info. They said detectives would contact me if necessary, I have yet to be contacted. I was in an unfamiliar area and was told this is not a very nice suburb of Cleveland.

I agree with Joker1, the attempt on you probably saved the poor old lady behind the counter from getting a knife pointed at her, so I think it was beneficial for everyone that you didn't stifle your urge to piss.
    tglassburner likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KTCameraman View Post
    I agree with Joker1, the attempt on you probably saved the poor old lady behind the counter from getting a knife pointed at her, so I think it was beneficial for everyone that you didn't stifle your urge to piss.
    When you gotta go you gotta go! I actually wondered if his original plan was to rob the store and just decided i was an easier target.

When I called the PD they said the cashier already called and told them everything and they were getting the cctv footage of the incident. They already knew my name and that I have my CHL the cashier gave them my plate # they said more than likely the guy was long gone. The detective called me a little bit ago to get a better descr. of the suspect.vI told him i didnt have a good description, but told him what I could. He also said that they found a knife around the back of the bldg. they think he may have tossed it there.

TVJ
    You know the law and OH force/lethal force rules of engagement

You neutralized the threat.

Bravo

PS: How close was perp to you with knife when you pulled?
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links