Next time I'll just hold it. - Page 3

Next time I'll just hold it.

This is a discussion on Next time I'll just hold it. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TVJ How close was perp to you with knife when you pulled? He was at the passenger side door of the car ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Next time I'll just hold it.

Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    How close was perp to you with knife when you pulled?
    He was at the passenger side door of the car ('07 ford focus ZX5) I was at the driver door. He would have had to jump the hood or run around it. If he would have made a move to run towards me I would have shot him.

Quote Originally Posted by tglassburner View Post
    When you gotta go you gotta go! I actually wondered if his original plan was to rob the store and just decided i was an easier target.When I called the PD they said the cashier already called and told them everything and they were getting the cctv footage of the incident. They already knew my name and that I have my CHL the cashier gave them my plate # they said more than likely the guy was long gone. The detective called me a little bit ago to get a better descr. of the suspect.vI told him i didnt have a good description, but told him what I could. He also said that they found a knife around the back of the bldg. they think he may have tossed it there.
    Right, ever watch those camera shows on cable? You never know what a clerk may pull from behind the counter. Machete', ball bat, axe, gun?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by tglassburner View Post
    He was at the passenger side door of the car ('07 ford focus ZX5) I was at the driver door. He would have had to jump the hood or run around it. If he would have made a move to run towards me I would have shot him.

Great cover.

lol...yea he ran.....

nice job.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I bet the BG had to pee pretty bad after he finished running--maybe he didn't even get to finish running......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I'm betting the BG was peeing while he was running...maybe doing more than that. I can just read the police report now, "There was a pile of feces where the perpetrator was standing when the victim drew his firearm and we followed the trail of urine about 40 feet until his bladder was apparently empty and we lost the trail."
    tglassburner and bwalker25 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Sounds like you did fine. IF I have to pee, I'm going to stop and pee. Some idiot chooses to pick that particular time to try something, so be it.
    +1

Sounds like you ruined his plans and his undies..

sgb
    First I'm glad you survived the encounter unscathed. However your hesitation to shoot could have easily gotten you killed. You got lucky.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Glad you were prepared, and because of this, you are alive and well.
    Sig Sauer P250
    Member-GeorgiaCarry.org
    US Navy 84-93

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    First I'm glad you survived the encounter unscathed. However your hesitation to shoot could have easily gotten you killed. You got lucky.
    Huh?? I don't see this as a hesitation to shoot. The op drew at the first sign of the BGs knife and had the car between them. Had the BG advanced, then there would be cause to fire. Not to mention his duty to retreat per Ohio law (which I am not familiar with).

Good Job OP. I would hope to handle it as well if I were in a similar situation.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Huh?? I don't see this as a hesitation to shoot. The op drew at the first sign of the BGs knife and had the car between them. Had the BG advanced, then there would be cause to fire. Not to mention his duty to retreat per Ohio law (which I am not familiar with).

Good Job OP. I would hope to handle it as well if I were in a similar situation.
    As I read it the BG was actively advancing with blade drawn, coming around the front of the vehicle easily puts the BG within 21 feet. Had the BG charged instead of stopping the OP may well have been able to get a shot off and most likely would have gotten stabbed in the process.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

I would disagree. Its not a straight 21 feet and with a drawn weapon such as a G19, four to six shots could be gotten off before contact, in addition to movement on the defenders part.
    tglassburner likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

You did the right thing and I am glad you are a responsible armed citizen that isn't all Gung-ho to discharge your firearm at a moments notice. Stay safe and stay armed.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I would disagree. Its not a straight 21 feet and with a drawn weapon such as a G19, four to six shots could be gotten off before contact, in addition to movement on the defenders part.
    Where is it written that the distance must be linear? Further considering the size of today's cars the distance between them (linear or not) would have been far closer than 21'. More likely half that.

For example a Ford Focus is roughly 14' long and 5.5' wide, the op at the drivers door and the bg at the mid point of the front of the vehicle gives the distance between them to be roughly 9 - 10'

You brought up the 21 feet not me. The Tueller concept is generally accepted as relating to linear movement.
    In any case I don't think that the movement around the vehicle could be a accomplished in less than a second, hence the four to six rounds.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links