Do you shoot the robber if he has a toy gun??

This is a discussion on Do you shoot the robber if he has a toy gun?? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I am 100% sure that the robber is wielding a toy gun and he poses no imminent threat to me or the other people ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Do you shoot the robber if he has a toy gun??

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    If I am 100% sure that the robber is wielding a toy gun and he poses no imminent threat to me or the other people in the bank, then I would spray my entire can of O.C. spray in his face, give him a couple of hard punches to the head as he is screaming in pain and then wait for the cops to show up, cuff him and take him away. I know that I am probably supposed to stay low in the corner minding my own business as I am not a LEO, but if I am the only one in the bank that knows that he is wielding a toy gun and don't let anyone else know about it, then chances are that he will get away with the robbery and will probably do it next time but with a real gun (since he will now have cash to buy one on the black market) and could possibly hurt someone. Therefore, I would do whatever it takes to make sure the scumbag is taken to prison for armed bank robbery.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

2. Remove Ads

Angry toy stupidity

No ..... but depending on the scenario, I'd probably take him to the ground, while awaiting the arrival of Police.
    TN_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    So your asking if we'd shoot a nerf pistol wielding felon?

Nope, gonna pass on that. I may hose him down with OC as a character builder though.
    win.
    "In EMS, death is our dance partner. We push it away, move it closer, move around it. Sometimes it leads, and other times it does not, depending on the skill of the dancer and the music being played." -Tracey Loscar, MCIP

Hope this was not already brought up.
    I was watching one of those shows the other day where actual video's of crimes being committed are shown. An armed robber comes in and demands the two clerks give him all the money. One of the clerks complies but the other one recognizes the weapon as a BB gun.
    He proceeds to tell his co-worker to ignore the robber because it is only a BB gun, a toy. He then stands infront of the robber refusing to allow him to flee. Then grabbing the BB gun the clerk tries to wrestle it away and capture the robber.
    During the struggle the BB gun goes off twice. The gun the clerk was 100% sure to be a BB gun was a 22 semi-auto rifle.

Michael

To me, it depends. If a BG pointed a gun-shaped object at my loved one, I'd snap draw and shoot him. IOW, I would not take the time or the chance it was a toy. I don't care if it had an orange tip - people can paint real gun barrels orange (and prob. have).

If I was in a bank teller line and saw a guy with a gun-shaped object in his hand/belt/pocket, I'd leave the bank and call it in.

If I was trapped in a store by a BG with a gun-shaped object and he came at me, pointed it at me I'd shoot him.

Cops don't stop to discern if the gun-shaped object is a real gun, a toy, a cigarette lighter, a starter pistol or a funny-shaped cellphone. If it's pointed at them they shoot the person.

$.02

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    To me, it depends. If a BG pointed a gun-shaped object at my loved one, I'd snap draw and shoot him. IOW, I would not take the time or the chance it was a toy. I don't care if it had an orange tip - people can paint real gun barrels orange (and prob. have).

If I was in a bank teller line and saw a guy with a gun-shaped object in his hand/belt/pocket, I'd leave the bank and call it in.

If I was trapped in a store by a BG with a gun-shaped object and he came at me, pointed it at me I'd shoot him.

Cops don't stop to discern if the gun-shaped object is a real gun, a toy, a cigarette lighter, a starter pistol or a funny-shaped cellphone. If it's pointed at them they shoot the person.

$.02
    Right or wrong LEO's are generally given more leeway in shooting than an ordinary citizen can expect. Do not use them as an example of how you should react.

Michael

nope
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

I started this thread some time ago and I have to say, I can't believe it is still going.....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

EdC
    And it keeps on going:
    Police: Victim shoots would-be robber

"He claimed his gun was a "fake." But investigators determined the weapon was a fully loaded and functioning .25 caliber handgun"

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    He would probably have an easy time stealing my wallet as I'd be ROFLMAO.

If the bank want's to give their money to a guy with a toy guy, well...it's their money and their decision.

Jim

The only way I might even think about drawing on the BG was if he was about to harm either myself or any patrons, banks are set up for this kind of scenario so I would just get as much info on the guy as possible and give it to the police

Hmmm,lets see,several air soft guns can be had for about $30,do they look real enough that you could distinguish the difference in a split second,I know this is off of the thread point a little,but just another theory.

If he's robbing me I might. If he's robbing an establishment that I do not own, I don't know what I'd do, but it most certainly won't be shooting him if he's alone and it's an obvious toy. If it's a 50/50 chance it's a toy, I will still mind my own business I'd imagine.

I don't know what I think of this question. I don't think too many bad guys are going to let you know they have a toy. So, we might see a part of a gun that's covered or not completely visible. It may be a good replica airsoft that has some give aways, but when you're more that a few feet away and the adrenaline's pumping, I don't think you'll have an easy time distinguishing it from a real gun. Also, I'd imagine by the time you do notice it's a fake gun, the situation will most likely be ending.

I can say with some certainty, if someone is robbing me personally and not the store, there's going to be a fight whether he has a real gun, a toy gun or not armed at all. He may have a fake gun, but he also may have a real knife that he grabs when you call his bluff. I don't know about anyone else, and that's for them to decide, but I don't take ANY chances. Once you've decided to make me your victim, you've committed a violent felony (armed or not, attempting to forcibly take my belongings is a felony where I'm from) and that is all I need to have a reasonable fear for my life. And when I'm in fear for my life, I fight, I DO NOT flee, negotiate or even so much as think about it….. I fight and I fight right then with everything I have in me.

But, back to the fake gun at the bank, as unlikely as it is we'll even know what's happening until it's over, I'm not shooting as long as I'm 100% sure it is fake. I may yell out he has a fake gun or I may mind my own business. I have no idea as I haven't been through that one yet.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

If a guy points a gun-shaped object at you, you may shoot him, if you're armed. The law says 'reasonable expectation your life is threatened...yadda, yadda'. Doesn't say anywhere about 'real or fake' weapon(s).
    TN_Mike likes this.

Things can be made to look real or fake. What would stop him from dipping part of the slide in a plastic, or modify their firearm to look fake?

I would draw, and have him drop his "weapon". If a perp walks into an area with what appears to be a firearm, again real or not, his intent is to harm or intimidate and he would have a weapon trained on him with all hands visible until LEOs arrive.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links