Do you shoot the robber if he has a toy gun?? - Page 8

Do you shoot the robber if he has a toy gun??

This is a discussion on Do you shoot the robber if he has a toy gun?? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mcp1810 Ever see what a super soaker loaded with battery acid can do? He has put himself in a position where he ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Do you shoot the robber if he has a toy gun??

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Ever see what a super soaker loaded with battery acid can do?
    He has put himself in a position where he may encounter deadly force. Am I to assume that he is irrational and voluntarily created that situation and entered into it without taking steps to ensure his own safety?
    What is it they say about underestimating your opponent?
    Wow! Now I can kill anyone who threatens me with a SuperSoaker(tm), because it may contain battery acid. Yippee! Hand me another full magazine! Where's that stupid neighbor kid?

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Too many replies to check up on, but my answers to the basic questions in the threads initial statement: 1. How do you know it is a toy? Did you ask the idiot? 2. Shoot him?--if he points it at me--yes indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Wow! Now I can kill anyone who threatens me with a SuperSoaker(tm), because it may contain battery acid. Yippee! Hand me another full magazine! Where's that stupid neighbor kid?
    Packinnova was kind enough to link stories from various parts of the country. If you chose to ignore the possibility that is your choice. But you might want to make an informed decision. Take a look at these women that were attacked (acid throwing is a common domestic violence technique in other parts of the world) and if you still want to discount the threat, more power to you. Terrorism that's personal (12 images) | Best news photos: All Eyes photo blog | tampabay.com & St. Petersburg Times
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

The answer is no, I would not shoot him but what I would do is, walk up to him, draw my gun and pistol whip him just like Marshal Earp use to do in Dodge City. Any other questions?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveStealth View Post
    The answer is no, I would not shoot him but what I would do is, walk up to him, draw my gun and pistol whip him just like Marshal Earp use to do in Dodge City. Any other questions?
    yeah, right, go to it.

In such a case, I would have a talk with this fellow and negotiate for the situation.
    Me: This is not a real gun.
    Robber: You think you are a smart ass. I’ll kill you stay back.
    Me: I know because (take out my gun), this is a real gun and If you do any stupid, then I’ll shoot you. Now slowly put that gun down and raise your hands.
    Robber **** scared of me, puts his gun down and people in bank catch hold of him and we wait for the Police. What do you think about this, guys.

Hey Stealth: Nice to know you are so sure it is a toy. If you are wrong, bye bye. If you were right he made his choice and does not have to make it anymore. You actually are going to somehow "investigate" whether it is a toy or not when it is pointed at you as the schmoe asks for your wallet or approaches you in a menacing manner and you cannot retreat? I surely hope you jest.

Since it's relevant:

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    According to the surviving brother, they thought the BG had a fake/toy gun, and look what that got them.

Police Hope Video Can Help Catch Taco Truck Owner's Killer

In a situation like the OP described, I'm not so sure I could honestly say that I could identify the gun the robber is holding as a "toy." When stress and adrenaline come into play like that, its going to mess with your "investigative" skills (being able to see small details). Been there, done that, couldn't see a full sized pickup truck twenty feet from me. I've seen plenty of real guns that have been painted like toy guns. There is even some discussions about some crazy guy intentionally painting the tip of his AK47 pistol orange and walking around in a state park with it until park rangers noticed, so an orange tip does not automatically mean "toy" for me.
    Just don't know until it happens for me, but I'd definately be on high alert until its over.

I would think that any of us have a lot more to worry about than if it is a toy or not, when someone points a "gun" at us. It is one thing to be discussing this issue at our computers and a very different thing in the real world if the 7 yards and maybe 2 or 3 seconds, if that much, are your decision-making parameters for protecting yourself. I'll be damned if the thought of a "toy" will even enter my mind under these circimstances.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Absolutely not. My carry would not even leave the holster. Unless the situation escalates and he produces a real weapon and is not an immediate threat to me or anyone around then there is no reason for me to draw a weapon that I have sworn to use only in the face of imminent death or bodily harm to myself or those I love.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

If I know it's a toy, No.... If I don't know it and he points it at me, big mistake on his part.... At that point I do my level best to put him down.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I dont think I would make light of the fact I knew the gun to be fake. If he knows that you know its a fake then he probably thinks you wont fire your weapon. Knowing he's been busted with the gun, he grabs a bystander and lays a blade to their throat. Now you are knee deep in a hostage situation. this could become a real ugly situation in a hurry.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Hmmm, let's see, it's dark out and two young thugs approach you with a "gun" in their hand. What do you do?, what do you do? Turns out it was a BB gun. This would've been bad news for them if they had picked the "wrong" victim.

Teens Robbed At Gunpoint Near Westland Library
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

You only carry concealed to protect yourself and family. You don't gain the responsibilities of a LEO by virtue of being armed. You have no responsibility whatsoever to stop the bank robbery. If he shows the weapon and the teller complies, he may leave the bank without firing.

Can you legally shoot in a pre-emptive manner? If a bad guy comes in with a realistic weapon, do you immediately shoot or do you try to take a position for yourself, and family, that would allow you to shoot if you are threatened? Better to be judged by 12.... but I think you're on shaky legal ground if you initiate the shooting, especially if anyone else gets hit in the crossfire...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links