Caught in the Crossfire (with diagram)

This is a discussion on Caught in the Crossfire (with diagram) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Take a good, long look at the above diagram. Here is the scenario. Party A is walking into a grocery store and you are going ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Caught in the Crossfire (with diagram)

Senior Moderator

Caught in the Crossfire (with diagram)

Take a good, long look at the above diagram.

Here is the scenario.

Party A is walking into a grocery store and you are going into the same store behind him.

Quite suddenly a car pulls up and someone (Party B) gets out and immediately starts firing in your general direction.

Party A
    immediately stops, turns, pulls a gun and begins returning fire.

There is no hard cover.

You can't advance into the store without going through A and you can't retreat to the parking lot without going through B.

Because of the store layout you can't easily escape, either.

Do you engage?
    If you engage, how do you engage?
    Who do you engage first?
    If you are instrumental in bringing down one party do you immediately turn to fire on the second party?
    How do you see yourself handling this scenario?

2. Remove Ads

hmmmmm thats a tough one. If I havent already been shot Id say hit the ground and skurry out of the crossfire. Anywhere that isnt directly in between the two going at it is going to be safer. I wouldnt engage simply because I dont know whats going on. We can assume person A is acting in self defense since he was fired upon first. I dont want to get too technicall but judging from the diagram your not really right in the middle so both parties have a clear view of each other. Id head east making sure to keep out of the crossfire. Good one thats got me thinking. Keep your SA up and notice the car stopping and someone hoping out with a gun and run like you know what.
    RUGER SR9 IN CROSSBREED SUPERTUCK DAILY

Yeesh. Honestly, I dive and start crawling. Could be gang activity. If I draw a firearm then neither party knows who I am and are likely to assume I'm with whoever is shooting at them. I get on the frigging ground and scoot as fast as I can.
    joker1, JOHNSMITH, TVJ and 3 others like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    They have it right- hit dirt, and scramble. Get as far away as possible, then call police and be the best witness possible. (And call someone to bring you a change of clothes since you've obviously s*** yourself when your realized how close those bullets were to finding you)
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Dual weilding it's the only way.

But really, I'd duck and quickly head for the sidewalk and skidadle away from the line of fire.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

sgb
    I'm unassing the AO most rickytic.
    First Sgt likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Dive for the ground and pray while doing a low crawl to the store for hard cover. Return fire no just get out.
    Semper Fi
    Last edited by BkCo1; June 3rd, 2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I assumed the black lines meant a wall or windows. In short, something you can't pass through.
    limatunes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post

I'm unassing the AO most rickytic.
    I have no idea what you said but by your diagram I'm assuming you can phase through walls, hell just stick around and phase through the crossfire. Or maybe you had time to install a window there.

I'm a smartbutt, I can't help myself.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    I would have to retreat by going for the sidwalk (east), & attempt to draw whilst moving/keeping low. My concern would be that the vehicle may still be mobile, meaning that the LOF would be moving. If I had to engage, the vehicle is my first concern (being the attacker) & I'd be hoping I could neutralize them & worry about the ped next.

As others have mentioned, SA would be the key to your chances for survival.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

The first shots I am hitting the ground and probably drawing and trying to identify the shooter. Second volley behind me (A) may very well be a person just like me, returning fire to the initial shooter. What happens next is all dependent on shooter B & A's accuracy. Shooter B is still going to be my top priority since that one opened fire first.

If B goes down, then I will try to ID shooter A and see if that is going to be a threat.

If A goes down, B is still a concern based on their actions, and they best be getting back in their car and heading out, otherwise a muzzle in my direction merits my own contribution to the issue at hand.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Move explosively in any direction that puts me at less danger.

Depends which way I'm currently headed, if I can turn fast to the sidewalk, or I should just bolt ahead into the store for cover.

But still...move explosively.
    Guantes and First Sgt like this.

VIP Member
    Hit the ground and try and crawl away, no way of knowing if party A is a good guy or a bad guy, even if they didn't initiate the attack.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

The indications are that they are chosen adversaries, therefor will most likely direct their attention and fire toward each other with little concern for you.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Moderator
    Run like the wind.At least if they hit me it'll be a miraculous shot...

I'm hiding behind my gun and moveing to the right...out of the zone and down the wall far enough to break out across the front of the car and moving to the off side where the shooters are at a disadvantage. Any of them tracking me gets shot while I am moving to cover...most likely another vehicle in the parking lot.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links