Grocery store/Work place - Page 2

Grocery store/Work place

This is a discussion on Grocery store/Work place within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Heres what I would do, when you deem it time to act, act fast. spray him with the bottle while running at him, grab the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Grocery store/Work place

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Heres what I would do, when you deem it time to act, act fast. spray him with the bottle while running at him, grab the weapon and redirect then slash his throat as deeply and quickly as possible, then hold the gun away from yourself and people until he bleeds out then drop him.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said, but I would like to say that I like the recent trend (if two posts is a trend) of diagrams being provided with these scenarios. It really helps to visualize the scene. Perhaps if I have time this weekend, I'll create a thread (hopefully it will get stickied) describing how to make rudimentary diagrams with free software for those who are less technically inclined.
    Mitchell likes this.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Having done my 15 years in Gorcery Retail, I know that the small jars of Gerber Baby food are as good a thrown projectile weapon as any, plus you get shrapnel.

In the scenario posted I'm not going hands on. I'm in IL, so I'm either cowering on the floor, running away in terror, or heading for either the baby food aisle or bug spray aisle (wasp nest spray, good for 20') if I'm suddenly overcome with the need to be a dead hero for the store that could care less for my safety in this event. OC spray needs close proximity. I don't feel the need to be in close proximity to the BG as posted.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Realistically?

You mean AFTER I wet myself?

I would give him the dough and pray like a big dog.

I like the knife-to-the-chin idea, at least from the Hollywood aspect. I'm not a street fighter and have never been tested with rough situations. But if he's that out-of-control and has already fired a shot? All bets are off. UI don't see going that route, though, if I could possibly avoid it.

I carry a knife with the 'wave' opening trick. If you haven't seen it used before, you'll be astonished at how fast it's out and open - lots faster than even switchblades. Great for the twine on haybales; might be useful here, too.

God protect me from such situations and states.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

No way am I going to try and be a hero with a can of mace and my good looks to protect someone Else's money. Macing an armed robber and then trying to wrestle a gun away from him in a crowded store is not a good move. I'd have pocket knife in hand just in case he got close but other than that let him have the money. If the woman behind the register is to stupid to give up the money then that's her fault.

Your option is to lay down and cry like a good illinoyan (or whatever you people call yourself)
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    I like the knife-to-the-chin idea, at least from the Hollywood aspect. I'm not a street fighter and have never been tested with rough situations. But if he's that out-of-control and has already fired a shot? All bets are off. UI don't see going that route, though, if I could possibly avoid it.
    Oh this is only if he came near me. I know the 21 foot rule, but if he's already got it out we can cut distance in half. I have no guarantee that I'd reach him in time. No I'd just wait it out and protect myself if I felt directly threatened at close range. I'm no superhero, and I don't have a huge amount of martial arts training. I'd only deploy if I knew I had the drop on him and could control his hand upward successfully. Don't get the idea I'm trying to be a hero. The knife is just to save my own skin in this case.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I like the knife idea. My only question though, why stab through the soft pallet? Why not angle the blade right through his adams apple?! And while grabbing and twisting for the gun, be twisting the knife. This will defintely get his attention.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Blast away

Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    I like the knife idea. My only question though, why stab through the soft pallet? Why not angle the blade right through his adams apple?! And while grabbing and twisting for the gun, be twisting the knife. This will defintely get his attention.
    Because I'll be crouched down and the direction I'd be traveling would be more or less straight up and the motion to get him there would be easier.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Because I'll be crouched down and the direction I'd be traveling would be more or less straight up and the motion to get him there would be easier.
    I can see your reasoning.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

It really doesn't matter what you do in this situation. Unless you actually get shot, you will probably get fired for something, Either for taking action, or for standing by and letting the store get robbed. Then, of course, if you survive, you will undoubtedly get sued by the perp, the other clerks and any customers who may have been in the store or planned to be in the store that day.
    Mitchell likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    you dont let the perp live long enough to sue you
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Does your store have those nice, heavy rubber dividers that you put on the counter to separate your stuff from the people in front or behind? Those things are beefy and could do some damage.

I really don't think I'd go hands on, but if I was left without a choice, I'd hit him with OC from my weak hand while charging him. As he brings his gun hand around, I'd come down on his forearm with the rubber divider and all the force I could muster. If that didn't break his arm, I would suspect he would at least drop the gun. I'd follow it up with a nice upswing blow with the divider and hopefully catch him under the chin. Follow it up with as many blows necessary to subdue him (plus a few extra for good measure). Wait for LE and EMS to cart him off. Since it is IL, soon after I'd hit the classifieds to find a new job since I'd likely be fired for defending myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal21 View Post
    Does your store have those nice, heavy rubber dividers that you put on the counter to separate your stuff from the people in front or behind? Those things are beefy and could do some damage.
    Sadly, no....we don't have belt fed registers. Otherwise that would be a good thought!
    Springfield XD Sub-Compact 40S&W
    Ruger 10/22
    Winchester 1300 20ga
    Mossberg 500 12ga

I'm not intervening in that scenario. If its not my money andi don't have a gun I comply. I'm not a super hero or a street fighter.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links