Bear kills your dog in your yard, would you... - Page 2

Bear kills your dog in your yard, would you...

This is a discussion on Bear kills your dog in your yard, would you... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by claude clay Bear kills your dog in your yard, would you... kill it if you had a gun that would do the ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Bear kills your dog in your yard, would you...

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    Bear kills your dog in your yard, would you...

kill it if you had a gun that would do the job?
    With extreme prejudice.
    RugerMak likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Awful situation all around, but I have fully-fenced property. The bear didnt accidentally come onto the property. And I also have livestock as do my neighbors. My assumption would be that this bear is now a danger in general :-(

I would most likely shoot.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Family is right. Mine looks a little like a black bear. LOL

100_1285.jpg
    RugerMak likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Gotta have a dog with enough fight in it.

Great Pyr and Bear - a True Story

From website above;

Dennis Loxton has said that most Great Pyr owners do not know just how much protection they have. Dennis should know. He has used the Great Pyr for over 30 years to protect forestry workers in the interior of British Columbia, an area famous for its Grizzly Bears.

and,,
    Frank is their Female Great Pyr;
    "Eric says that Frank was actually up to her chest in the water greeting the girls coming in with the canoe, when she suddenly turned around and started running right at him, then; went right past him. The bear came out of the woods behind Eric...”

and;

There was the dog, facing off with a black bear right next to the fire pit, where Eric had been standing only moments before. The dog kept pressure on the bear. She was pushing the bear back. The dog was constantly moving, constantly darting in and out, and constantly barking and snarling. There was no indication of fear. She was systematically charging and retreating, and pushing the bear away. At one point the bear took a swipe at her, and hit her, but she did not falter. She lunged and got in even closer. I could not believe what I was seeing. This was the gentle giant that lies at my feet. This was the docile creature that sits by the door and awaits my return when I walk to the mail box. The beast before me kept forcing the bear back into the woods. She was a fierce and ferocious dog. I could not take my eyes off her.
    RugerMak likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Dead bear.
    RugerMak likes this.

I don't have a dog in this fight.

Sent from my phone
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator
    If the dog is already dead, killing the bear isnt going to bring him back... although, I understand the thought process and I can't say I wouldn't kill the bear myself. In my limited bear encounters, I've found that it doesnt take much to scare a bear off. So, maybe a shot or two will do the trick.
    "Just blame Sixto"

That is very true, Sixto, it depends on the bear. We had a realtor out showing rural property when he rounded a corner face to face with a black bear. The bear woofed and popped and the realtor slapped it on the face with his realty file. The bear took off like a scalded rabbit. Hope for a cowardly bear.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

GM
    That bear would certainly be history. You can mess with me, but you better do not dare to mess with my pet.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

RKM
    I would kill it to death. I think my 12gauge with 3" slugs could do the job if I had time to get it. A .45ACP.... maybe if I could get a perfect headshot. But I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Many things would come into play. Size of the bear, gun I was carrying, distance and available cover to put between me and the bear. While I love my animals, I won't jeopardise my life for them.
    None of that would come into play for me. I would risk my life for my dog without question. She's family and a best friend. If she had opposable thumbs she would do the same for me.

Wouldn't you do the same for this face

9MMare likes this.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Cool

Oh wow dad another a hottie ! You gotta let me on this site more often.Look at those baby blues.

photo.jpg
    Adkjoe likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    None of that would come into play for me. I would risk my life for my dog without question. She's family and a best friend. If she had opposable thumbs she would do the same for me.

Wouldn't you do the same for this face

Oh my gosh Ö she is beautiful!
    Adkjoe likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Many things would come into play. Size of the bear, gun I was carrying, distance and available cover to put between me and the bear. While I love my animals, I won't jeopardize my life for them.
    Wouldn't want to be your dog. Maybe you could call 911 and be a good witness instead.
    paullie and RevolvingMag like this.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Hey dad who's the hottie in Post #9?...
    You mean the horse, right?

I'd definitely be taking a shot, 9mm or otherwise. If one of my dogs were in her chops, I'd be laying them as strategically as possible to get her to drop him.

If I were living in/near bear country, you can bet I'd be carrying at least a 45 ACP.

'Scuze me, I gotta go pet my Labs now!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links