Bear kills your dog in your yard, would you...

This is a discussion on Bear kills your dog in your yard, would you... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My dog is family. Nuff said...............................

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Bear kills your dog in your yard, would you...

My dog is family. Nuff said............................
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

2. Remove Ads

Armed, or unarmed, I could never standby and allow anything or anyone close to me be injured. Whatever it takes----------------------.
    str1

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    .......empty two .45 mags into said bear, run upstairs & grab loaded .450 Marlin, run back downstairs and finish the job right!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I live WAY back in the sticks on a farm and had a bear chasing my horse one summer. I called the DNR Police and told them of my problem and they just blew me off. I then at my 30.06 by the door and a month later there is was chasing her again. It was actually trying to swipe at her while they were running.

I grabbed the 30.06 and shot the bear. I then immediately called the DNR and they were at my house within 20 minutes ( on Mother Day morning) they were NOT Happy that I shot one of thier precious bears. They questioned me four different times , they questioned my wife twice while I was NOT at home.

I asked why they were busting my balls and they said they didn't think it was chasing my horse and they didn't think I could hit the running bear at 264 yrds. ( yes, they even measured it)
    I asked them if they checked their complaint logs and noticed i called them about this bear chasing my horse in the past. I also asked them if they ever wondered why in the world I would call and tell them I shot this bear if I shot it illegally.
    They did not like the fact that their bear was dead and treated me as if i was guilty of shooting the bear just for fun and were less than hospitable that is for sure. That is when I decided to exercise my rights and told them to correspond with my lawyer and four interviews were plenty. there is plenty more to this story but this is the jist of it.

Well, it ended up i was not charged. they could not prove i shot the bear just for sport ( which I didn't) But the moral of the story is this. If you are going to shoot a bear you have two choices. You can do the right thing and report it to the proper authorities and then get prepared be interrogated repeatedly and to prove you are innocent. Or, you could exercise the three S's. which, is what I was advised to do by many others after this incident. ( Shoot , Shovel, and Shut up)

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. I would have done that same thing though. I would practice SES (shoot, eat, shut up)
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Try to bargin with the bear for my Wife instead.................
    Fishshavers likes this.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    what bear? i got a nice new rug in my living room, wanna see it?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Try to bargin with the bear for my Wife instead.................
    sounds like a bad deal for the bear
    Lewis128 likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by ontarget1911 View Post
    Around here we practice S&S. Shoot and shovel
    I always heard there was a third S. Shoot, shovel, and shut up.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

That third one is what most often screws people up.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    None of that would come into play for me. I would risk my life for my dog without question. She's family and a best friend. If she had opposable thumbs she would do the same for me.

Wouldn't you do the same for this face

What a great looking dog!
    Adkjoe likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks! She knows it to. She's half timber wolf and half siberian I'm sure she would give a black bear a run for it's money, I've seen her when she's cornered, one of the most friendly dogs you will ever meet but when she's cornered she can can do some serious damage trust me....There are a few good storied to back that up too.

two years ago she ripped the throat out of a coyote prowling in our backyard. I know it doesn't compare to a bear but the way she did it with a pounce, flip, bite, and rip, was one of the most amazing and primal things I've ever seen. She loves people but like a wolf she has a nasty primal instinct. She came over to us on the porch and dropped a chunk of it's throat at my feet and sat down and started wagging her tail "I did good right?" ...I went out and the coyote was flopping around on it's side you could literally hear it trying to breath from the hole in it's throat. I felt bad for it, I finished it off and buried it. I've never been able to hunt coyote they remind me to much of my dog.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

adkjoe,

Your dog is beautiful and I'm sure with her bloodlines she is a pretty tough cookie. But I think I have the ultimate killer dog. Just her look alone is will scare any other predator. She is 55lbs of total butt whoopin' ,,,,,, lol.
    Attached Images

I've never owned a dog, but I love them. As a kid I wanted one. Remember Rudy from the Cosby show? That's how I was with my Mom, lol. I still want to get a dog, but I still live with my parents (don't have the cash for my own place yet.) I'm not ashamed to say that I still ball like a baby when Travis has to put down Old Yeller. If I ever get a dog, nothing better try to hurt it when I'm around. Also, if I lived in bear country (or the more likely scenario for me would be Gator territory) I would be carrying a rifle at all times while outside.

Bear, gator, 2 legged scrote... Doesn't matter. I will defend my dog(s) as best I can. I owe them that.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links