Bear kills your dog in your yard, would you... - Page 5

Bear kills your dog in your yard, would you...

This is a discussion on Bear kills your dog in your yard, would you... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The bear had cubs. The zoo may take them or DOW can handle. Here in CO, once a bear has become aggressive it is put ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Bear kills your dog in your yard, would you...

The bear had cubs. The zoo may take them or DOW can handle. Here in CO, once a bear has become aggressive it is put down. Period.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
    The bear had cubs. The zoo may take them or DOW can handle. Here in CO, once a bear has become aggressive it is put down. Period.
    Based on the story, one can't tell if the dog or the bear was the agressor. We only know which one came out on top. If the dog was chasing after the cub and the mother reacted, the bear is not at fault.

Also based on the story, the dog was simply running loose on the job site where the owner was working, the dog certainly wasn't "protecting" its territory. The dog's owner should be blamed for all this, certainly not the bear.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Ah, yes. Based on this story, they were at a job site, and were not on their own property. Gotta watch your pets! I think they did the right thing tranqing the bears and moving them. Not sure about this job site, but any new construction is probably encroaching on some bear territory. I stated my previous post based on the assumption that the bears were in my yard.

I don't disagree that the dog and the owner may be at fault and should probably be fined.

The point of which is the initial aggressor is somewhat irrelevant as to the final disposition of the bear. Even though it is likely that humans encroached the bear's habitat, the DOW will not likely take much of a different stand. Even though the bear was protecting it's cubs, it was in a location that could have been deadly to humans and would likely be put down or relocated by the DOW.

Here in CO the bear gets one chance of relocation, then it is put down.

I am not a dog owner but have worked on construction sites before and some of the guys that bring their dogs to the site have been less than in control of the dog. It would not surprise me that the dog would be the aggressor. I would hope there would be enough people on the site that would speak up.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I look at this from a little different perspective. To all of those who feel thier dogs are part of the family, I have no problem with that.

I like my dogs, but they are afterall, dogs. Based on the story and the dog described, I think I would get a smarter dog. I have never been much on Cocker Spaniels, as most of them I have ever seen just weren't my idea of the ideal dog. If we still had the one in our avatar, (we had to put him down at 13 due to cancer) I don't think I would have too much to worry about. Not that he would have taken out the bear, but he was one of the smartest canids I have ever known, it might have been the wolf in him I don't know.

The two we have now, well one is getting older and slower, but she is smart enough to stay away from a bear I believe. The younger one, well he still thinks he is bullet proof, hopefully he would be smart or fast enough to stay out of the bears clutches. However, if they did happen to get caught by the bear, I am not so sure I would shoot the bear. (granted, we don't have that problem in East Texas, well not yet).

But the fact remains that the bear was doing what the bear is supposed to do, protect her young. I can't fault the bear for that. My dogs would hopefully do what they are supposed to do and warn me of something that isn't right. That is their job, my job as pack leader is to assess the situation and handle it accordingly. If I saw a bear, my job would be to get the dogs beside me, and make sure that they were safe. I don't have bear hunting dogs. If I did, that might be a different scenario. If the dogs went beyond their job of watching out and warning, and decided to take on the bear, well just because my dog made a bad choice doesn't mean that I have to kill the bear.

Yea, I know my wife thinks I am a heartless b....ard as well, but like I said, they are dogs, they have a job and a place in our family but it isn't on the same level as the people. If you are going to live in an area where there might be threats to your pets, pick your pets accordingly.
    Sorry, not wanting to be your dog either.

If there's a bear in my back yard than the world has turned upside down. I live in the middle of the city and a bear in the area is just about impossible. But even if I only had my LCP I'd try to fire a few shots at the bear to disrupt the attack. If I had the time I'd grab my 870 Magnum and and finish the job.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    few have commented on the tracking collier that the bear had on--indicating previous exposure to humans.
    between Avon and my town is a mountain (more of a big hill really) and I've seen bear in my yard twice ( both times with cubs) and in the neighborhood and in my general area 3 more times in 30 odd years. deer and coon are to commen to make mention though bob cats are getting bold--daytime sightings in peoples fenced yards gives cause to letting your dog out all day unattended. these bear sightings have made for good sound bites and the evening news. this was the 1st time anything died; besides lots of little designer dogs that the falcons dine on. in this instance its clear that the worker let his animal run loose at the job site.

a gun shot where this happened brings a highly visibale response. i lost count in the pictures after 16 vehicals. and the LEO's are not friendly toward citizans having guns in this town, nor the surrounding towns for that matter. they are as far left as you can get short of how i hear Cal is. though 15 miles to the west people have ranges on their private land with no trouble.
    i love my dogs to. and part of that is my looking out for what i know is better for them, rather than having to deal with the aftermath of what can happen when your actions lack personal responsibility.

so im sure there are some here who don't want to be my dog either.
    i'll file that under--you can't please all the people all the time.

lots of interesting responses, thank you all.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I must say I would take out the bear no questions asked with my Mosin Nagant or one of my AKM's.

I think my dog would appreciate the new bear rug to lay on.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    If you had three dogs and a bear took one, how many dogs would you have?... All three dogs and one dead bear.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I live in downtown Rock Hill, SC, and we've got a bear running around about a block away. Or, at least, it was yesterday.

ROCK HILL | Sweet trap set for black bear spotted in Rock Hill | The Herald - Rock Hill, SC

...If you watch the video, please try to ignore the accents- not everyone down here sounds like that. I've made it a point to try to get rid of my accent.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    If there's a bear in my back yard than the world has turned upside down. I live in the middle of the city and a bear in the area is just about impossible. But even if I only had my LCP I'd try to fire a few shots at the bear to disrupt the attack. If I had the time I'd grab my 870 Magnum and and finish the job.

People in Chicago thought it was crazy that a Full grown 150 lb. cougar, was shot and killed there.

I would not dismiss the fact that no matter where you live, there could be any sort of wild animal there.
    Couple years ago, downtown Cleveland, about 1/2 mile east of dead mans curve, lay a dead white-tailed deer.

Story of Cougar in Chicago here.
    First Cougar Spotted in Over a Century Shot Dead in Northern Chicago - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

And here; Never Yet Melted » Mountain Lion Shot in Chicago’s North Side

And Picture here; Cougar shot in Chicago - chicagotribune.com

And video here; YouTube - ‪Cougar in Chicago shot by police‬‏
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Tough call for sure. This is one of the problems that is caused by humans invading the habitat of bears and other wild creatures.
    Wrong. Bear numbers are increasing, and they are spreading into country they have not inhabited for several decades, if at all. Same for deer and cougar. Coyotes? Spreading into habitat they have not lived in for hundreds of years, if at all, as it was once wolf country.

BTW, gunfire is not likely to frighten a bear with the adrenalin up. Go for a shoulder shot, cripple her so she cannot charge, and go for a head shot from close range.

We have our fair share of both black and brown bear here in Anchorage Alaska. They are even known to stroll thru downtown a couple of times a year.

When my dogs and I are on the trails I'm carrying a S&W 460V. If I'm not with them, my wife is carrying it. A bear charge will result in several rounds of 395gr hardcast lead entering the offending animal. My dogs are not to be messed with, just like the rest of my family and myself.

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    kill it if you had a gun that would do the job?

Bear, With Cubs Nearby, Kills Dog In Avon - Courant.com

it is happening in your back yard and if you had a 45acp perhaps you could act in time to save your dog. otherwise you would likely have to go inside and get a rifle.
    by the time you return the dog would be dead.

What would you do?
    Killing the bear (which is really killing three bears) won't bring my dog back. I would defend my dog but not avenge it,

Dig me?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links