When would you fire warning shots? - Page 3

When would you fire warning shots?

This is a discussion on When would you fire warning shots? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; NEVER EVER period! I may feel threatened enough to get a grip on my EDC. Some states allow defensive display. If I can't control the ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: When would you fire warning shots?

VIP Member
    NEVER EVER period! I may feel threatened enough to get a grip on my EDC. Some states allow defensive display. If I can't control the situation or create distance, and great bodily harm or death is imminent, I'm making the decision to use it during the draw. I've read too many stories of people using warning shots and getting killed.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I follow exactly what you are saying, 9MMARE.
    Like it or not for some people, a gun is also a deterrent. The sight, the sound just may be enough to stop unwanted action. I know of one case personally where this was the case. Since the OP didn't specifically layout the exact scenario, I think it is entirely possible that there might be an instance where a "warning" shot will get you your desired effect. It's up to the individual to decide when and where. Certainly not if they thought their life was in immediate danger.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    A warning shot means that I missed.

See above
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Well...Looks like someone's been misunderstanding the Tuller Drill.

The Police Policy Studies Council

We have done some testing along those lines recently and have found that an average healthy adult male can cover the traditional seven yard distance in a time of (you guessed it) about one and one-half seconds. It would be safe to say then that an armed attacker at 21 feet is well within your Danger Zone.

7 yards is NOT a line seperating you from danger - its a drill which justifies you shooting someone at that distance or possibly further if they are armed with an edged weapon.
    I'm well aware of it. I was generalizing for brevity. There would be many factors in that scenario...all either grasped instantly or he'd be shot. I can imagine the scenario. As a park ranger in NYC I SAW such scenarios with the homeless.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Like it or not for some people, a gun is also a deterrent. The sight, the sound just may be enough to stop unwanted action. I know of one case personally where this was the case. Since the OP didn't specifically layout the exact scenario, I think it is entirely possible that there might be an instance where a "warning" shot will get you your desired effect. It's up to the individual to decide when and where. Certainly not if they thought their life was in immediate danger.
    Agreed. And I would not use a warning shot if I thought that my life was in immediate danger.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Never, never never ever ever ever... Fire warning shots.

To warn a sleepwalker who was at some distance away and about to walk off into the Grand Canyon could be a silly contrived reason for some sort of "warning shot."

There's just not a reason for a warning shot in a real self-defense scenario.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    "Never" is the most simple, safest, definitive and legal advice given. I very seriously doubt if I'd ever fire a warning shot in an encounter with a BG, but if it's a matter of an imminent life or death situation, and somehow firing a round may be the only option, it's very possible that under great stress, your survival instinct will override the "never" part.

Switching to the subject of animals, particularly dogs. I live rural, have cattle, and have had my neighbors aggressive dogs get a bit too involved with my cattle herd. I know that if this escalates the cattle will break through a fence, wind up on the highway and cause someone to have a car accident. It's a good way to get someone killed. When the dogs show up, I take a .22 rifle and shoot safely somewhat near the dog when he is up against a hillside. The crack of the rifle and my profanity directed at him, gets his attention and he realizes he's not wanted. I've had to do this to them a couple of times, and since, they haven't been around my herd in years, and they live right next door to me.

I don't want to shoot the dogs, I just want them to stay away, and I dont' want to foster bad blood between myself and my neighbors, and I want my cattle to stay calm. The warning shot in this case works wonders. However in town, people, houses, kids, cars, concrete, police, windows, etc..........NO, not a good idea !
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Only when the scrub bucks are blocking my shot at a book buck, and there are no rocks to throw.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Personally, I cannot follow that logic completely.

I might be able to see the justification for a farmer firing a round into a field to frighten off a pack of coyotes (if it's legally permissible) because I understand that the loud noise of a gunshot can frighten off animals.

Where people are concerned, however, I can never see the justification for a warning shot. People know what guns are and either the presence of a gun deters them or it doesn't. Yes, many people have seen the presence of a gun and stopped what they were doing immediately and fled and NO shots needed to be fired but if they aren't frightened off by the mere presence of a firearm an additional shot is not worth the risk to further "convince" them that they should cease whatever it is they are doing. And no matter how "well-aimed" or "deliberate" the warning shot is we have all been exposed to the hit statistics for people under stress. Only around 20% of shots fired under stress hit their mark.

A "well-aimed" or "deliberate" warning shot could still end up going through a bedroom window or through a wall and injuring an innocent individual. It could still ricochet. Someone could still step in front of the shot and end up being injured or killed. And as stated before, if you are firing a warning shot it means that you were not in immediate fear of your life. That means you just used lethal force when you WERE NOT in immediate fear for your life. That is unacceptable in my opinion and way too much risk for the small likelihood it might produce a different result than what presenting the firearm alone could produce.

Let's say you fire that "well-aimed" warning shot and you miss and actually DO end up hitting the person who was not quite threatening your life or, worse yet, and innocent person. It's really easy to say (while sitting comfortably behind your computer desk) that the legal chips will fall where they may and "oh well" but you could be looking as serious charges that end with serious jail time and a felony charge that will forever change the course of your life, career, family, finances, social standing, etc. NOT worth it in my book.

If the presence of a firearm deters the attack, GREAT! but it should only be coming out if you feel you are going to need it to defend life or limb and immediately ready to use it ONLY AGAINST the attacker.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie313 View Post
    Never. If you draw, be prepared to shoot. If you shoot, shoot to kill
    /Thread
    If you shoot, you shoot to stop the threat, not to kill. If the person happens to die from the shoot, so be it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Warning shoots are great for TV and the movies. Very dramatic, but in real life it's not a good idea. If the situation is dire enough you need to draw your weapon, it's dire enough to aim center mass.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    On a rare circumstance I would fire a shot into the ground to scare off a potentially threatening wild animal as an alternative to having to kill it.
    The 4 legged sort of animal.
    TVJ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Personally, I cannot follow that logic completely.

I might be able to see the justification for a farmer firing a round into a field to frighten off a pack of coyotes (if it's legally permissible) because I understand that the loud noise of a gunshot can frighten off animals.

Where people are concerned, however, I can never see the justification for a warning shot. People know what guns are and either the presence of a gun deters them or it doesn't. Yes, many people have seen the presence of a gun and stopped what they were doing immediately and fled and NO shots needed to be fired but if they aren't frightened off by the mere presence of a firearm an additional shot is not worth the risk to further "convince" them that they should cease whatever it is they are doing. And no matter how "well-aimed" or "deliberate" the warning shot is we have all been exposed to the hit statistics for people under stress. Only around 20% of shots fired under stress hit their mark.

A "well-aimed" or "deliberate" warning shot could still end up going through a bedroom window or through a wall and injuring an innocent individual. It could still ricochet. Someone could still step in front of the shot and end up being injured or killed. And as stated before, if you are firing a warning shot it means that you were not in immediate fear of your life. That means you just used lethal force when you WERE NOT in immediate fear for your life. That is unacceptable in my opinion and way too much risk for the small likelihood it might produce a different result than what presenting the firearm alone could produce.

Let's say you fire that "well-aimed" warning shot and you miss and actually DO end up hitting the person who was not quite threatening your life or, worse yet, and innocent person. It's really easy to say (while sitting comfortably behind your computer desk) that the legal chips will fall where they may and "oh well" but you could be looking as serious charges that end with serious jail time and a felony charge that will forever change the course of your life, career, family, finances, social standing, etc. NOT worth it in my book.

If the presence of a firearm deters the attack, GREAT! but it should only be coming out if you feel you are going to need it to defend life or limb and immediately ready to use it ONLY AGAINST the attacker.

From the sound of this response, it sounds like, because your frame of mind is 'never', that you havent fully thought out the placement or use of a warning shot. In that case, it's best that you dont use one of course.

And I find your comments on that aspects of people's reactions to and 'aiming' of warning shots very unsubstantiated. Much more like opinion, which you're entitled to. A lawn is a pretty good one, and pretty hard to miss. Ricochets unlikely. The possibility of bad shoots, accidentally hitting people etc...I'm pretty sure are less than shots aimed at COM that miss.

There are risks anytime we fire our weapons in RL, I'm sure everyone here knows that.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    From the sound of this response, it sounds like, because your frame of mind is 'never', that you havent fully thought out the placement or use of a warning shot. In that case, it's best that you dont use one of course.
    No, it's because I HAVE fully thought out the placement and use of warning shots and still can't think of a single instance (against human begins) where they would be a good or only option vs something else.

And I find your comments on that aspects of people's reactions to and 'aiming' of warning shots very unsubstantiated. Much more like opinion,...
    Here is an article that goes over firing vs hit ratio for NYC officers... the hit rate is as high as 28% and as low as 17%. It gets higher (43%) at closer ranges (0-6 feet) but it's still not great.
    I was/am talking about hit rate in general under stress... and it is substantiated.
    And there are MANY MANY substantiated examples of the presence of firearms frightening off would-be attacker without any shots fired.

A lawn is a pretty good one, and pretty hard to miss. ...
    Except, depending on where you are and what is going on you might actually have to take your muzzle OFF of the REAL potential threat to find a "safe" place to fire your warning shot giving your would-be attacker an opportunity to rush you.
    There are risks anytime we fire our weapons in RL, I'm sure everyone here knows that.
    Yes, there are. I choose to minimize the risks by not taking unnecessary and/or legally questionable shots.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links