When would you fire warning shots?

This is a discussion on When would you fire warning shots? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While not much comes to mind relative to "warning" shots outside of four legged critters at the moment, I am reluctant to arbitrarily take them, ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: When would you fire warning shots?

While not much comes to mind relative to "warning" shots outside of four legged critters at the moment, I am reluctant to arbitrarily take them, or virtually anything else, off the table relative to the well being and safety of my loved ones and myself. I would not classify them as "warning" shots, but as a tactical action to meant to illicit a favorable reaction relative to an incident. I would classify them as "highly unlikely", but would stop short of "never".
    ppkheat likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

I suppose there *may* be a situation where I would, but in general, never. I think warning shots are more for naval ships and armed aircraft, not really the law abiding civilian CCer.
    JD likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Only if I am in a rural area in the middle of nowhere and it is against a dog that is approaching me with bad intentions. Otherwise, they are a no-no in city limits.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Um...never. Coz hollow points are expensive, and my XD only carries 13+1 so, Ill need every one.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Never.

You might end up shooting an innocent person.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    N E V E R

If you are firing, it's because your life, or the life of a loved one, is in danger....and you have positively ID'd your target and you are engaging on the target.

At no time is a "warning shot" warranted or required. Someone who uses "warning shots" may/can/will take someone else's life--in that case, they didn't get the warning, they got shot.

Are you aware of any rocks, or any hard surface under the lawn that can cause a ricochet? Are you willing to bet someone else's life to that? What if you're not in your yard? "Warning shots" are irresponsible, IMO, and will cause more problems than you're trying to solve.

If you decide pulling the trigger is a good idea, you better be ready to explain what you're aiming at to a judge and jury.

"I was only aiming for the grass"---"yes, and you negligently did not take into a account the possiblity of deflection or ricochet, killing Mr X"
    Yup, when someone is running off with someone else's child and I cant catch up to them and have no way to stop them, I may very well take that HUGE risk of hitting a rock in the grass to attempt to stop the kidnapper or get them to drop the kid. As I said, I would appreciate someone doing all they could to save my child.

Same if a predator(s) is chasing my livestock and I cant get a clean shot. Absolutely.

Funny, I thought I wrote all this already.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

VIP Member
    Well be very careful about saying never, ever, ever.

Yes you are liable for every round fired. Yes you need to be prepared to defend yourself when your weapon is drawn. Is there a time when a warning shot may end a situation without taking a life, Yes.

Many years ago a fellow police officer was called to a disturbance. The suspect fled in his vehicle just as my friend arrived and a short pursuit followed.
    The suspect stopped his vehicle and exited and was obviously not all there at that moment and began to approach the officer. The officer had his weapon drawn in a ready position and after several verbal warnings and orders to show his hands the irate semi intoxicated male continued to advance.
    With really no other options at that point my friend pointed his magnum at the ditch beside him and fired one round of silvertip hollowpoint into the mud. The suspect who was now fully alert complied with commands and was taken into custody without further incident. Keep in mind this was before the days of Tasers and super ninja techniques taught today.
    My friend, who knowingly and willingly violated departmental policy, went to the station wrote his report and told the shift commander, I know I was in violation of policy but at that moment in time I was not going to take a mans life for getting into a fight with his wife. He rode out his three day suspension and went on about his business.

I am not saying in an active self defense situation that you should take the time and effort to fire a warning shot, but as in just about everything in life there are situations that can be handled differently.
    IF I was put in the situation that could be resolved by firing a warning shot, safely and without endangering me or my loved ones life further, would I do it you bet. The key words being safely and without endangering myself or other further.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Cite the FL Statute on this, please. Or, the source.
    I have never heard this before.
    I read about it in Jon H. Gutmachers book Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership. He basically goes on to say that a person using a warning shot has to be justified the same as if he used deadly force. If you somehow get yourself prosecuted by misjudging a self-defense situation, you've probably committed an aggravated assault. If found guilty of that, the warning shot you fired would carry a mandatory prison sentence.

Although his book goes into greater detail, he also mentions it briefly here:

Warning Shots -- a hidden danger to those using self defense - Avvo.com

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Yup, when someone is running off with someone else's child and I cant catch up to them and have no way to stop them, I may very well take that HUGE risk of hitting a rock in the grass to attempt to stop the kidnapper or get them to drop the kid. As I said, I would appreciate someone doing all they could to save my child.

Same if a predator(s) is chasing my livestock and I cant get a clean shot. Absolutely.

Funny, I thought I wrote all this already.
    Got it....you're willing to possibly kill/wound someone else (innocent bystander) by firing your weapon in a negligent manner....but then again, I guess you could make up any scenario to fit your needs.

Let us know how that works out for you.

No credible defensive training course/program I am aware of has advocated the use of warning shots--and in fact, discouraged their use...If I am incorrect, please cite a source. This is why there are laws on the books that prohibit discharge of a firearm (with exception of defensive purposes).
    Harryball likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Since I would be cited for negligent discharge of a firearm I would not shoot a warning shot. If the gun goes bang there will be a purpose and it will not be just to make noise. Also in NC it is against the law to point a gun at another individual unless it is in self defense. A warning shot would be too close and that would probably be another citation. The fact that the bullet could ricochet and hurt someone else would also be a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Many years ago a fellow police officer was called to a disturbance. The suspect fled in his vehicle just as my friend arrived and a short pursuit followed.
    The suspect stopped his vehicle and exited and was obviously not all there at that moment and began to approach the officer. The officer had his weapon drawn in a ready position and after several verbal warnings and orders to show his hands the irate semi intoxicated male continued to advance.
    With really no other options at that point my friend pointed his magnum at the ditch beside him and fired one round of silvertip hollowpoint into the mud. The suspect who was now fully alert complied with commands and was taken into custody without further incident. Keep in mind this was before the days of Tasers and super ninja techniques taught today.
    You didn't specify whether the individual was armed or not, so I'll assume he was unarmed, intoxicated and walking towards your officer friend. Ninja/taser stuff aside, how does this constitute a need to draw, let alone fire on the suspect? I'm no LEO, but I would be appalled to hear that an officer shot and killed an unarmed man who was walking toward him.

I do have one question for those of you who are concerend about bullets bouncing out of the ground and ricocheting off of a rock or something. Where do you shoot and what type of backstop is there? I guess no one uses an outdoor range with earthen backstops or berms.

I am getting ready to go to the range today, and I will carefully look for any of these bullets bouncing back out of the dirt. If they do miraculously, I will see how much energy they retain.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I do have one question for those of you who are concerend about bullets bouncing out of the ground and ricocheting off of a rock or something. Where do you shoot and what type of backstop is there? I guess no one uses an outdoor range with earthen backstops or berms.

I am getting ready to go to the range today, and I will carefully look for any of these bullets bouncing back out of the dirt. If they do miraculously, I will see how much energy they retain.
    Actually, ricochets happen in "dirt" all the time. Most of the time, no, they do not have the energy to bounce back ALL THE WAY to the shooter and because of geometry they usually end up buried in another part of the berm.

BUT .. having worked at a gun range for a year and having seen shooters come out of the range with cuts on their hands or faces FROM ricochets (knowing the ricochet came from over 25 yards away) it's pretty sobering to see just how much energy a ricochet can contain.

There are some videos on YouTube as well where people were firing into dirt berms and ricochets came back and wounded them or others standing nearby.

If you ever shot anything with tracer rounds and watch carefully you will often see ricochets going all over the place as evidenced by the tracer flying off into all sorts of different directions. Sure, it's just the copper casing but it still has enough energy to do damage.

I've seen this sort of thing in person while shooting tracer rounds into wet dirt at 100 yards. A piece of the jacket ricocheted and (still glowing so we saw it clearly) had enough energy to bounce back over our heads, over the house and into the field behind us.

Granted, those were rifle rounds which have considerably more energy but that doesn't mean pistol rounds can't cause injury when ricocheted (as I have evidenced while working on ranges).

Ricochets are no small issue and should never be discounted (even in dirt). They happen way more than people think they do and just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Not to mention it doesn't take a full bullet either.. parts of the jacket or even just parts of broken bullets are enough to cause quite a bit of damage.

NEVER! My 1911 holds 7, my 642 holds 5. If I have to draw and pull the trigger, it will only be in the gravest of circumstances and I am not wasting any ammo!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Racing

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
    I've seen here on DC and a couple of other forums where people post about firing warning shots.

My question is when, if ever, would you fire a warning shot?

I fire "warning shots" to start a yacht race.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links