When would you fire warning shots? - Page 8

When would you fire warning shots?

This is a discussion on When would you fire warning shots? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only time I would ever consider firing a warning shot is if I am deep in the woods and stumble across a animal that ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: When would you fire warning shots?

The only time I would ever consider firing a warning shot is if I am deep in the woods and stumble across a animal that I thought that was about to attack me for invading their territory. Even then it wouldn't be in the air, but into the ground in a safe direction. It may sound goofy, but I just can't kill for the sake of killing, especially an animal that it's only mistake in life was crossing my path in their environment. My hope would be that the sound of the discharge would frighten the animal into evading, or at least giving me a chance to regress in the direction I came.

Now, if it's already in attack mode, well sorry little fella, I guess I gotta new fur coat, or hat.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I just got to thinkin'...
    Maybe if that cop a while back had fired off a warning shot instead of macing the heck out of that little squirrel...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Wow, I disagree with almost every single paragraph you wrote.

Esp where you seem to imply that I readily embrace warning shots as a viable option in self-defense shooting.
    The only part of my post directed specifically to you, 9MMare was when I said "Time Out! We're getting close to personal attacks." The rest was a generalization. If you saw yourself in any part of my post then, if the shoe fits..... but it was directly solely to you.

I said... What I believe most of us find disturbing is that one (not 9MMare or YOU) would so readily embrace it as a viable option when it clearly is not a vast majority of the time. It means one might choose it as an option at the wrong time and end up reaping the consequences (whatever those may be) and forcing others to live with your consequences as well.

People seem to be so blinded to their own opinions that they completely reject being prepared for things outside of the box.
    Got to agree with you there! And the door swings both ways.

The word opinion means: a view of judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Experience, on the other hand, means: practical contact with and observation of facts or events.

Those with experience have thoroughly investigated the issue and their opinion (based on fact) is that warning shots are a bad idea that should be avoided at all costs. And I'm sure that given a scenario (even your kidnapping scenario) experienced individuals could give you five different ways to handle it that did not involve a warning shot. (And no, I'm not claiming to be one of those.)

INSTEAD, they recommend training and critical thinking that allows you to prepare for things outside of the box WITHOUT being negligent or taking unnecessary risks.

And I don't assume that you (or anyone else) will start shooting without consideration to the circumstances and surrounding.. in fact, I assume the opposite.

What concerns me is that someone (not particularly you.. to be clear) who has not trained or prepared for outside of the box scenarios in a way that keeps them from preforming an legally questionable or negligent action (such as warning shots) MAY go ahead and do it THINKING it's the best option when it's not. But instead of thinking, "This isn't an option so I have to think around it" they think, "Oh, hey, this might work" and do it anyway because they have not limited themselves to thinking around something so frowned upon (not ONLY by the rest of the gun community but by the law as well).

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I just got to thinkin'...
    Maybe if that cop a while back had fired off a warning shot instead of macing the heck out of that little squirrel...

Yeah! Mace just screws up the taste...

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Here's my .02 on the way this thread has turned.
    When people use words like "reckless", assuming warning shots are fired off with reckless abandon I presume, or words like "readily embrace", assuming that a warning shot is first and foremost in some of our minds... THAT is when this thread turned into personal attacks. We all know those two phrases could have neen more neutrally worded, rather than carry the negative undertones that they do.

Some of you folks need to go back and re-read the OP's exact question and realize that if you truly think that there is without a doubt, absolutely no time that you would discharge a weapon without the intent to kill, then you are truly limiting your options to asses and react to ANY POSSIBLE scenario you might be faced with. Why any scenario? Because the OP did not lay out a specific scenario. And that brings many options to diffuse a situation into play, given that we do not know the specific situation.

I didn't see one post where anyone said if they were faced with a direct threat to their body that they would fire off a warning shot, but some of the posts here seem to be reading that into the thread somewhere.

Which is exactly why in my first response I said in a SD situation it wouldn't be an option. But when trying to make a point to folks stealing out at deer camp if I happen upon them it might be likely in some circumstances. The OP didn't limit it to a SD situation or at least I didn't take it that way.
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    On a rare circumstance I would fire a shot into the ground to scare off a potentially threatening wild animal as an alternative to having to kill it.
    The 4 legged sort of animal.
    Had the same thought and posted without reading through the thread... sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    The only part of my post directed specifically to you, 9MMare was when I said "Time Out! We're getting close to personal attacks." The rest was a generalization. If you saw yourself in any part of my post then, if the shoe fits..... but it was directly solely to you.

I said... What I believe most of us find disturbing is that one (not 9MMare or YOU) would so readily embrace it as a viable option when it clearly is not a vast majority of the time. It means one might choose it as an option at the wrong time and end up reaping the consequences (whatever those may be) and forcing others to live with your consequences as well.

Er, ok.

However I was the only one quoted, so I will have to take your word for it.(And am almost the only one that discussed it as a viable option, lol)

I went and looked and still disagree with almost every paragraph in that post....didnt have to be directed at me, it's still my opinion....as it was yours to post.

And your recent replies have little to do with the specifics that I described (as requested in the OP), but I think we understand that overall, you find me...or anyone thinking that way (in case it's not me)....to be irresponsible, or at least 'not properly trained' to consider warning shots an option. Understood.

Again, big picture: in ANY shooting, we never can know the outcome and we and anyone else in the area may have to suffer the consequences. With that in mind, such a focus on that aspect of the OP's question seems radically out of proportion to me. If the ground can never reasonably be safely considered as my backstop? *sigh*

We're here for discussion, and that's all I've been trying to do. I'm not bothered by the fact that my opinion is in the minority. I've offered information for others to consider. I've considered what others have written. THat's about how it goes here, no?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    You are assuming things not in evidence (not me). Who the heck said I would ever do such a thing? I am one of the people that posts NOT to do such a thing. I'm sorry if I have to spell out non-relevant details for people that wish to nitpick. If you can find a real issue with my stance, fine. Man up.
    Yep I find issue with your stance. You want to fire warning shots be my guest. I wish you all the luck with that. Is that a Man up enough statement for you. If you would like to continue this we can do it in PMs. Like you said MAN UP
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Easy boys. According to Joan Peterson, you'll start shooting at each other any second. "It's only natural."
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

This entire thread is focusing on such a low probability event - a situation in which a warning shot is justified - that it is almost a worthless discussion.

Even in the realm of lethal force usage, this is an extremely rare event, to the point I feel comfortable saying "Never".

Discharging a firearm is not something to ever be done lightly, and to be avoided if at all possible. It seems that the fascination with warning shots is the exact opposite of a reasonable, responsible approach to using lethal force in appropriate circumstances.

It is, put simply, a terrible idea.
    I will not give it any of the respect that people who should know better seem to be according it.

You may all do with this idea what you will, I will not be part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Yep I find issue with your stance. You want to fire warning shots be my guest. I wish you all the luck with that. Is that a Man up enough statement for you. If you would like to continue this we can do it in PMs. Like you said MAN UP
    I have no problem with you disagreeing with my posts. Explaining why (without expanding my scenarios with unrelated details) would make some sense, yes?

If you would like to post specific information on why, that could be beneficial. I tried to be pretty specific when asked by the OP for circumstances in which I might use a warning shot.

(btw, I hope I NEVER fire any shots in 'real life" so there's really no 'want' about it.)
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Gottabkiddin at least had a situation where discharge of your firearm could possibly be a consideration---in the woods, alone, and facing a potential attacking animal---like the old adage goes---"if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there, does it make any noise?" Who is to know what you did if no one else is there to see it or even if they hear it, know why you did it. Other than that kind of situation, if you do not have the presumption of imminent danger or death, brandishing and discharging a firearm in public, at least to my knowledge, is illegal and that should be reason enough to counter any further discussion---you will be arrested and you will go to trial, and you will go to jail or be fined considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    This entire thread is focusing on such a low probability event - a situation in which a warning shot is justified - that it is almost a worthless discussion.

Even in the realm of lethal force usage, this is an extremely rare event, to the point I feel comfortable saying "Never".

Discharging a firearm is not something to ever be done lightly, and to be avoided if at all possible. It seems that the fascination with warning shots is the exact opposite of a reasonable, responsible approach to using lethal force in appropriate circumstances.

It is, put simply, a terrible idea.
    I will not give it any of the respect that people who should know better seem to be according it.

You may all do with this idea what you will, I will not be part of it.
    9MMare Read the above, this is what Im talking about. Mitchell hit it right on the head. No need for me to repeat it.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links