When would you fire warning shots?

This is a discussion on When would you fire warning shots? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've seen here on DC and a couple of other forums where people post about firing warning shots. I was taught that firing a warning ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: When would you fire warning shots?

I've seen here on DC and a couple of other forums where people post about firing warning shots.

I was taught that firing a warning shot means that there is less rounds that I have available to defend myself. Especially since the likelyhood of needing more than one round per BG is posssible and BG's are known to travel in packs.

I know one individual that was arrested for discharging a firearm within the city limits. And have known LEO's that have said that people have been arrested for discharging a firearm. I wasn't there so I don't know the circumstances of either.

My question is when, if ever, would you fire a warning shot?
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    A warning shot means that I missed.

Never. If you draw, be prepared to shoot. If you shoot, shoot to kill
    /Thread
    Backnblack and gatech33 like this.

To answer your question: My question is when, if ever, would you fire a warning shot? NEVER
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

The only time to fire warning shots is when you can place them center of mass.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtsr View Post
    My question is when, if ever, would you fire a warning shot?
    Never. They'll have had all the warning they're going to get by the time I pull the trigger.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I've posted on this before, but I dont remember all my examples. I know that one was if someone had grabbed a child and was running off with it and I couldnt catch up, in that case I might make a carefully aimed warning shot. I might do so at a dog, esp. if I believed the owner was the guilty party.

If someone was clearly mentally ill or impaired and was outside of the 22 foot mark, maybe but I'd be prepared to immediately follow up with an aimed response.

Truthfully, I dont go out of my way to think up these examples because I certainly dont want it to be my mindset. I also believe warning shots are generally a bad idea.

But I'm also a believer in 'never say never.' Esp. when lives are involved.

Edit: remembered another one: if predators are chasing my livestock and I cant be sure I wont hit the wrong critters in the melee OR I'm not sure of the backstop (there's a road behind my pastures). My hope, as I ran out, would be to scare off or slow down attacking predators.

I'm liable for ALL my shots....and even a warning shot will be deliberately aimed *somewhere*.
    Last edited by 9MMare; June 6th, 2011 at 05:59 PM.
    gatech33 likes this.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

You are liable for your warning shots, I would rather fire my rounds into a target when necessary. There is displaying the weapon to stop the threat if I can, then stopping the threat if necessary. There is no room for warning shots.

I suppose I would fire a warning shot, maybe a few, if I wanted the possible threat to disappear before I got there.
    Certainly not a "self defense" scenario, but as has been mentioned (and debated) here before, those of us that live in the country are more apt to check out that noise that goes bump in the night rather than call 911. If I heard a ruckus going on in my pole barn, I'd be apt to try to scare off whatever is causing the ruckus, be it critter or criminal. Seems like a win win to me.
    I would never fire a warning shot in an actual self defense situation though. In the situation I give, it is more to let whatever know that I know they are there and you better scram.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I am NOT an LEO or an Attorney so I can not speak to the legal side of it, but I would not fire a warning shot. I was taught a long time ago NEVER PULL A GUN UNLESS YOU'RE GOING TO USE IT. Theres an old saying "A man worth shooting is a man worth killing". I know someone is going to jump in here and say "you shoot to stop a threat, not to kill" but it seems to me it's the same thing. I've never seen a dead man get up and become a threat. Just my $.02
    Last edited by Stubborn; June 6th, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
    bwalker25 likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Moderator
    Never.

You're responsible for every bullet that leaves your gun. If you had time/ability to fire a warning shot it meant you weren't really in fear for your life (using your firearms as a scare tactic instead of a self defense tool)... might end up coming back to bite you.

If I have to shoot it's going to be because I'm defending my life and it's going to be directed at the individual threatening my life.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    you don't. never ever ever never ever fire warning shots
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Never.

You're responsible for every bullet that leaves your gun. If you had time/ability to fire a warning shot it meant you weren't really in fear for your life (using your firearms as a scare tactic instead of a self defense tool)... might end up coming back to bite you.

If I have to shoot it's going to be because I'm defending my life and it's going to be directed at the individual threatening my life.
    This.

If your gun is out in your hand, it has to be (legally and via common sense) your life is in danger.

The second you fire that warning shot, you just gave some less than gun-friendly prosecutor ammo (pardon the pun) to say your life was never in danger.

And God forbid that round ends up in an innocent person.

If you're pulling the trigger it better be controlled and aimed center mass.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    - SNA -

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have" -- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    You are liable for your warning shots, I would rather fire my rounds into a target when necessary.
    There's my answer. I won't be firing any warning shots, I may give a verbal warning if time and situation permit, but that is about it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    A warning shot means that I missed.
    +1
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links